1/10, Colorado Springs Tesla Coil.

• 22 posts
  • Last reply 3 hours, 29 minutes ago
Viewing 1 - 15 of 22 posts
  • Peter Hausamann said 1 month ago:

Built my first Tesla Coil in 1986. Have built nine since then. My last build was in 1995. The Colorado Springs Tesla Coil is the only one which I made to scale of an original build by Nikola Tesla. The 1/10 scale version was scratch built in 1990, and my reference was a copy of Tesla’s diary notes of the original built between 1899 -1990.

The goal was to gain insight into Tesla’s findings from this type of high-voltage air induction coil. The build was not meant/seen as a model but as a practical means to the possibility of duplicating Tesla’s experiments. It was purely for scientific curiosity. Besides, a 1/10 scale version meant that the outer coil would have to be 5 feet in diameter. A size more appropriate to a young man living in a flat.

Now, I have to say up front that I do not have any photographs of this model in action. At the time and circumstance, I was not thinking of taking photographs during it first and only operation of the coil. Which I now regret. However, I will share what photographs related to the model, and others in its support.

A few photographs of the original Colorado Springs Tesla Coil (TC).

Outside view of the workshop. Note the high output terminal above the roof.

The large ring looking fence is actually both the primary and secondary induction coils. The coil you partially see at far left is placed in the centre and is called an Extra Coil. The output terminal is connected to the top of the Extra coil.

Put outside of the larger coil is the circuit’s capacitors (Leyden jar type tanks), and a fine tuner induction coil in background.

I am sorry if what I am describing does not make sense. It is electrical jargon and it is very difficult to explain without using such language. Writing this post makes me realize that specialized interests are not necessarily universally understood by others of different learning.

to be continued…

• Michel Verschuere said 1 month ago:

Peter, I’m a physicist and proud Tesla Roadster owner (both have nothing to do with each other). I just wanna say I really appreciate what you are doing here. Let me know when I can connect my house here in Belgium with the universal electric field coming from your replica! Kudo’s

Ha ha ha, bravo Michel @michel-verschuere. The replica has been compromised, but will explain about that later. Thanks for tapping into this thread.

Here are a few photos of my first TC. The photos are B&W not because the build and myself are antiquated, but I wanted to test for other frequency outputs from the TC other than the visual spectrum. Some B&W film, at the time, was also sensitive to Infrared and Ultra-violet and above.

Here is about a 400,000 volt arc. In real time (eye-ball observation) you only see one arc (string) moving about. Part the TC circuit contains a rotating spark gap (see large slender box), which chops the AC current into about two thousand stop-starts in a second (2 kHz). This is a safety measure. Because the human body cannot respond to anything at and above 2,000 pulses per second, any current passing through the human body, from the TC, won’t be regarded as a shock to the human body. So, what you see in this photo, are the stop-starts (arcs), between terminals, in a fraction of a second film exposure.

A Jacob’s Ladder, set apart to not arc across (short circuit) but acting as an antenna of electromagnetic radiation. This charges the fluorescent tube. My hands near the tubes centre acts as a short circuit. Though I did not visually see the part halo between my hands, the B&W film did record it. Such results from experiments always thrills me with revelations.

Top left is the Tesla Coil.
    Top right is the rotary spark gap.
    Bottom left are Leyden jars (capacitors).
    Bottom right overload spark gap.

to be continued . . .

• James B Robinson said 1 month ago:

A true Mad Man…………just genius. I watched a show on the History Channel about Tesla. Really amazing stuff. Have you seen this website? http://www.teslacoil.com/

• Michel Verschuere said 1 month ago:

I’m stunned by this thread, really unbelievable! It’s a blessing to have such a wide knowledge base here in this imodeler community!

Thank you James @jamesb for the link. I have not seen the website before.

I would not say that Nikola Tesla was a true Mad Man in old terminology, but misunderstood. But these days ‘mad’ means ‘awesome’.

Many had labelled Tesla as ‘mad/insane’, especially when they could not reproduce what Tesla could, and/or claimed he could. The reason why, is that the debunkers were not Tesla. Let me try and explain, at the risk of myself as being seen as mad. A creator of an apparatus, or even a model, has an influence over what is being created. Sometimes the creator does not fully understand what that influence is. Some even admit that at times it seemed as if they had an extra hand involved in their creation. Many artists can identify with this.

Thank you Michel @michel-verschuere for your response. I concur. There sure is a lot of talented people here, including you, in imodeler.com

• James B Robinson said 1 month ago:

Peter @tecko let me correct something here, I was calling you a Mad Man…Genius. 🙂 Yes, Awesome comes to mind.

Totally agree with your explanation and I can relate with it. Having spent countless hours in the Lab during Architecture school dreaming up the abstract answers to simple problems, only to realize that in the real world, it would only go unnoticed or unappreciated unless you had that ONE client with DEEP pockets. As they say……..Genius does what it must, Talent does what it can, I do what I’m paid to do. Or as I like to say………..Hi, I’m James, a Highly Trained Professional. 😉

Getting back to the 1/10 scale TC. Here are some photos taken during its construction.

No metal was used in its construction. Basically from wooden doweling and glue. Used thick timber from a pallet, some plywood, timber slats, and veneer. The outer coil framework was made to open out, if needed to, to increase the coil’s circumference.

The Extra Coil used a PVC pipe for its coil former. Thick fishing line, between the wire turns, kept a steady insulative distance. Used matchstick pieces for wire spacing, near the top, as the voltage got higher per turn.

The outer coil contains both the primary and secondary coils. The primary is two turns of flat/ribbon wire, made by 8 wires running parallel. Here I am laying in the primary winding.

to be continued. . .

• Paul Barber said 1 month ago:

Absolutely love it!

Thanks Paul @yellow10 for visiting this short build log and finding it of some interest.

To continue, and round up this build. . .

Below, you may notice that I had the Extra Coil non-fixed into position. A PVC pipe, used as a contact shaft, allowed the coil to move vertically. The idea was to raise and lower the coil to experiment how that effected the output.

Had made several types of output terminals and devices.

This one shows a thin toroidal terminal made from copper pipe.

The termination used for the one and only experiment was an aluminium elliptical sphere. It was highly polished to eliminate any edges or scratches. Output discharges always finds the easiest spot to escape from, and any surface with a sharp point/edge (small radius) makes for an easy point of discharge. Having the spheroid polished helped to store more electrical potential within it. The sphere actually acts like a capacitance.

My notes will reveal what actually happened during the first and only experiment:

Basically the coil’s insulation was compromised when an arc from the spheroid reached down and bridged across to the outer coil. Electrically, the coil then had an invisible short circuit. The coil effectively needs to be rewired with extra insulation.

Shortly afterwards I had to relocated premises. During the move, the coil framework buckled, and popped the veneer wall of the outer coil former . . scratch one TC.

Have built a few more TC’s since then, each being very different in design and shape. My favourite coil is called an Oudin Coil. For some reason, the output arc has a very different appearance and manner about it. It grows quite large at a slow rate. The arc moves around slowly and gracefully with a pinkish glow.

It was this coil where I discovered what a flame is. I have a theory about it, and it involves the release of electrostatic chemical bond energy, via heat, to create a discharge in the form of a flame. The below drawing shows that the coil’s arc, from a copper wire terminal, entering under the flame’s edge and discharging out of the flames pointed tongue. There is no indication of an arc in between these two points.

Well, that concludes this side-track model build.

• David Mills said 1 month ago:

‘the infernal machine’ indeed Peter, absolutely fascinating, for those of us that struggle with the science, I take it that the TC is a purely ‘experimental’ device to test/ investigate certain electrical phenomena?

Viewing 1 - 15 of 22 posts