Trumpeter Le Triomphant

• 7 posts
  • Last reply 1 week, 3 days ago
Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 posts
  • Michael Paquette said 1 week, 4 days ago:

Michael T Paquette
    6 mins
    Cracking the box to my Le Triomphant. Detail is pretty good on the hull. I’m going to add some fiddly bits to the area around the missile openings based on some images I got of the Le Terrible while she was in port. I’ll have a silo open with a missile part way extended.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Craig Abrahamson said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Looking forward to it, sir…..especially the open missile silo – 🙂

• paul teixeira said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Nice build, look forward to something different like this sub. Keep us posted please!

• Michael Paquette said 1 week, 3 days ago:

My sources for the silo surrounding details. I’ll need to make some actuators for the cover, a cap on the cover underside, some plumbing around the silo top and part of the cylinders of neighboring silos.

Really hope someone will make a Suffren (Barracuda) class boat that I’ll be able to pair with it someday.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Chaz Sutherland said 1 week, 3 days ago:

I’ve always loved the way missile hatches look on boomers, so this is going to be a fun build to watch. Are you a submariner Michael?

• Michael Paquette said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Only in my mind.

I live in Connecticut so the Nautilus/Submarine Force Museum is only an hour away, plus I’ve visited a couple Balao class boats on display and the Type IX u-boat in Chicago.

• Chaz Sutherland said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Fair enough! Love for subs is all that counts 😀

I’m not qual’d on boomer terminology (esp, French boomers at that), but at least in my day, we didn’t call those silos. Silos are for corn 😀 They’re “tubes”, but I’m more than happy to follow suit if this is French terminology. Those caps under Muzzle Hatch are “closures”. They keep the missile dry until the launch sequence creates the gas tunnel the missile ejects through just before ignition. Ignition is obviously done on the surface (as not to blow out the tube). And moments after the tunnel collapses, which creates a water barrier that insulates the boat from the rocket thrust and also fills the tube some to maintain ballast. When done right, the water used matches the weight of the missing ordnance. It’s pretty impressive.
    I’ve heard some guys call the muzzle hatches a “lid” but they weren’t qualified boomer-folk, so a grain of salt with that one… …actually, with everything I’m saying since I wasn’t a boomer myself. We hunted boomers which put me in the hunter/killer spec of sub service.

Connecticut is a beautiful state and my favorite in that part of the country. My son attended St. Thomas More in Oakdale and I lived at the sub base in Groton when serving. My wife would always comment how odd it was that CT could be so close to where we lived in MA and be so much nicer (which she referred to as a swamp 🙂

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 posts