iModeler

USS Enterprise CV6 (145 posts)

• What can you say about the Enterprise? To me and countless others, she represents the spirit, the bravery and courage, the hope, and the good that humanity is capable of. I think it’s impossible to overstate the influence this ship had on the war in the Pacific, both in literal terms of how many times she stepped up to the plate and slugged it out of the park, and in the way that she captured something of the need of the free world to stand against evil.

Anyway, as The Great Man would say, “the game is afoot”, and the Big E is on my bench. For probably the first time I feel a little intimidated by a build, mainly because I want to do her justice – but more so because (and I know this would sound schmaltzy to a non-modeler) I can ‘feel’ the weight of history in this project. Her iconic lines, the incredible men who captained and worked her, and the countless young men who died serving her, all make me feel humble. I want to do her justice. I make no apologies for the emotional undertone here; this is certainly not sentiment, this is gratitude. I think for many modelers a similar theme is evoked by different subjects, whether it be a Spitfire, the Arizona, an M4, or a UH-60.

So, where to start? Not intimidating at all…

Well, this is the Merit 1/350 version of the ‘Gray Ghost’ and although the shape is good, the well documented armour plates on the hull are an eyesore; not to mention ridiculous in terms of scale. So before anything else gets done, there’s a whole lot of sanding going on for a few days!

For some idea of scale, this is a 1/48 Hellcat set against the one piece hull.

As yet I’m not sure if I want to go with the ‘Midway’ Enterprise, or post-Midway refit that saw her off to Guadalcanal. In all seriousness if I had the time I’d make at least three versions of this beauty.

“I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky, And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by”

(Sea Fever, by John Masefield)

Tags: 1/350, Enterprise, Midway, Pacific war, ships

• Once upon a time a good time on a Saturday night was meeting with friends, off to a bar, maybe watch a band, and then off to a club…
    In 2017, well, it’s all about a sanding block, some old rock on the TV, a beer, and a bloody ton of patience.

Might be finished sanding these damn armour plates by Christmas.

Hopefully…

• David, that last picture says it all! Power to your elbows!

• Thanks, Bernard – the encouragement is gratefully received!

• You’re a dedicated modeler, David. And “schmaltzy” is just one of the coolest words out there…

• When it comes to modeling I can’t help but think that ‘dedicated’ is the last stop before the booby hatch…

• Ain’t that the truth? I mean, how neurotic can we be? I have serious issues I am facing, and seamlines on a P-38M rank right up there with ’em…

Uh oh, I’m telling this to a shrink. Please don’t charge me! 🙂

• David, that’s $150 right there!
    The seamline is a metaphor; it’s why we model. You sort out the seamline, you are sorting out your mind. Not sure how much of that is psychology and how much is Yoda.

• “…it’s why we model…”

Well, then this Academy P-38 is giving me enough existential fulfillment to satisfy my identity issues as a modeler for all the kits in my cache. Yow…

Do you give credit?

• The true modeler’s SOS…

• “If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds of sanding done
    Yours is the Enterprise and everything that’s in her
    And -which is more-you’re a modeller my son!
    R. Kipling (kind of).

Getting the hard yards out of the way – Dave!
    Great work – crack on !
    Cheers

• Well, what a literate lot we are! Kipling no less. Didn’t know he was a modeler.

• His skill as a modeller was cruelly overlooked!

• I’ve been reading the wrong history books! Cheers, David.

• So, with the ‘Battle of Armour Plate Sanding’ over, I’ve given the hull a coat of primer (satin black – boy, this hobby is expensive).

I’ve decided to go the ‘blackbasing’ route with this build. Although there’s some controversy with whether the results are ‘in scale’ in 1/350, I think given how much grey and blue there will be in this build when she’s finished means there needs to be some tonal variations to prevent it looking like a toy. Besides, if you look at the photo below, you can clearly see how shadow, imperfections, and water marking all cause some contrast shift on the hull.

Also relating the the photo above you can see SOME of the armour plating (ah, Merit – why did you do it?) but it’s quite irregular and faint. This is a look I’ve tried to capture with all that sanding (you didn’t really think I was going to let this issue go, did you?).

I fixed on the hanger deck and it fit like a dream. If I wouldn’t make me sound like a nut (even for a modeler), I’d say the fit was so perfect that it almost brought a tear to my eye. But of course, it didn’t.

With my wife still away on her field trip (releasing bears or wildcats, or something, into the highlands of Scotland) and me on a break to ‘look after the kids’ I’ll be able to make some good progress on this (while simultaneously diminishing the local store’s supplies of craft beers).
    Happy days.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge