USS North Carolina (BB-55)

• 13 posts
  • Last reply 3 years, 2 months ago
  • BB-55
Viewing 1 - 13 of 13 posts
  • Craig Abrahamson said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I didn’t wanna post this atrocity in the headline section, but rather here where less people would probably see my futile effort(s). As is painfully obvious, I’m not a ‘ship guy’, but THIS one turned out worse than previous attempts at floaty things.
    I hesitated to leave it UNpainted in the color it was molded (light gray), so I thought I’d spray it overall dark gray – big mistake (and it’s a lot darker/uglier than it appears). Now my only option (other than throw it away), is to either A) strip it and re-paint it …or B) – wait- there IS no “B”. Lesson learned: don’t buy and try to build boats. 🙁

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• neil foster said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Hey Craig, you’re quite right it is too dark but why not just blast it over with a coat of primer then start again with a much lighter grey , the actual build looks good to me just one thing though I’m not sure the disruptive camo pattern would have extended below the waterline,don’t give up yet pal.N

Yeah….that camo pattern I experimented with sucks, too. I may just spray the whole thing with Tamiya’s fine white primer [someday] and start over.

• Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Craig, I’m with Neil, the build looks good. You could use a much darker red on the hull below the waterline, and then spray over the top and the upper works. Haze gray!
    I once visited her in Wilmington, and it was an experience I will never forget. Whoever worked in those main turrets should get a high decoration. Not for the claustrophobic! I could imagine the noise and the smoke.
    Ya done good, tell the doubters it was an experimental scheme, so secret nobody knows about it but you. I’ll get you a secret squirrel patch, to heighten the effect.

Yeah….it definitely needs to go back to the shipyard for a re-fit and new paint….one day.

• California Steve said 3 years, 2 months ago:

You can do this Craig! Let it sit for a few days. It will start talking to you…… “finish me!… finish me!”… See that was easy.
    California Steve

• Rob Pollock said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Hi Craig, I take it this is the Trumpeter 1/350? I think sometimes we have to ‘allow’ the kit to be built, as designed. The manufacturer has spent a lot of time and money developing the project, so I tend to try and not second-guess the process. In this case, it looks like you might have given yourself some kind of deadline that forced the pace a little more than was good for the build. I agree with others that it’s possible to correct some of the issues you mentioned, but I guess the point is whether or not you want to pursue them. I’d also set it aside a week or so and then give it another look.

I’ve read that this ship is haunted. Maybe look at it as a memorial rather than a ‘ship build’ and you might be more inclined to revisit in due course.

• Bernd Müller said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Hi Craug, just stumbled over your build. Nasicly its well build, line up the gun barrels from the turret Y (?) and give her another paint job. If you need some helpful pics, just call me

Thanks for the encouragement, Rob…and you’re right – about the fact that I built it probably too quickly (although I don’t see how one can assemble a ship with a myriad of fiddly-bits “quickly”). I probably shouldn’t have painted it at ALL. 🙁

I appreciate that, Bernd….the pics you had already sent me apparently didn’t help my model-building skills, huh? 🙁

• George Williams said 3 years, 2 months ago:

All credit to you for trying one of these kits, Craig, and you managed to finish building it. So, the paint finish doesn’t seem quite right to you, but maybe you’ll get in the mood one day to give it another go……..

• Bernd Müller said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Hi Craig, i forgot to mention, that the Kingfishers are looking really nice, you are quite an aircraft guy 😉
    As said, the paint job can be improved, the kit it self is well build, why not giving USS North Carolina another “refit”

Thanks, Bernd…..and as George said, I’ll get around to “fixing” it one of these days. 🙁

Viewing 1 - 13 of 13 posts