iModeler

Work in progress – Indianapolis (12 posts)

• This 1/350 Trumpeter 1944 Indianapolis is taking quite a while to build. A lot of model building hours per dollar of kit cost, a real deal when thought of in those terms. Here are a few progress pics. The rear, aft, smaller assembly has as many parts in it by its self as some of the Revell 1/48 scale fighter plane kits I have built

4 attached images. Click to enlarge

Tags: 1/350

• Secondary armament and ships crane.
    Each of these guns is 8 pieces. In the overall paint guide illustration they are all shown light gray. It is hard to find good color photos of them but I figured they had to have some variation in shading if not color. I ended up touching them up a little it with black, dark gray and brass, using some photos I found for a very rough guide.

1 attached image.

• There are 10PE baskets that go in various spots on the rail and sides of the superstructure. This image shows 5 of them and on the left, one that hasn’t been shaped into the half cylinder form yet. X-Acto for scale.

They are mighty small for a clumsy guy like me to be trying to manipulate!

1 attached image.

• Ralph, remarkable work! You’re doing better than I could!

• Thanks Bernard.
    I got three ships kits to build over the winter, small (destroyer, the Huron, done) medium (this one) and large (battleship, Tamiya USS Missouri). At the rate I am going it will be spring before I finish this one!

Maybe I’ll save the Missouri for retirement…..

• These big “floaty things” can be a real bear to those of us who are ‘nautically challenged’ (such as myself). The few that I’ve attempted necessitated the instruction sheet to be referred to constantly. What’s worse is the fact that PE and I do not play well together. 🙁

• Ralph, take it slow, and you’ll get there, we hope without the usual cursing and swearing. There used to be this guy in the IPMS DC chapter they called “up against the wall”. When he got frustrated, that’s where the model went! I’ve done that, and whilst it was satisfying at first, later, not so much. Expensive.
    Craig, photoetch scares the h-ll out of me.

• OK here are the ship’s SOC scout planes. They are are 9 clear parts each. They come without the struts between the wings, instead there is a clear panel where they should be. I guess you are supposed to paint the edges of them and hope no body notices the ‘window’ between them. Maybe it was the wrong decision but I didn’t like that idea and decided to cut off the clear panels and make struts. I ended up using tiny bits of PE ships rail for them. I also cut the wings off completely from the one and put them back in the folded position. Arrrrrggg….I might as well take up arthroscopic surgery for my next hobby! I had been considering building a biplane model but I think when I do the next one it will be in a scale larger than 1/350!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge

• Nobody hold me to it, but I hope to post the finished product tonight –

• Hi Ralph, I did the Academy ‘Premium Edition’ of the Indianapolis which included 300 pieces of photo etch. A real challenge but worth it in the end. I posted the model here if of interest.

Good progress so far by the way.

• Looking good Sir! I have a 1:350 scale Graf Spee I’m getting revved up to do, and I am one of those who have not built a ship model in well over thirty years. I’m watching your progress with great interest, as I think the lessons you’re learning will apply to myself as well! Looking great so far.

• “You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin’ for my turn. I’ll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb”.

Brilliant scene, great movie.