Water Wings Group Build – Beaver

Started by Craig Abrahamson · 7 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 6 months ago:

This rather large Beaver was originally yellow and carried a brand of "adult beverage" as a livery (IIRC, it was Canadian Club/Canadian Mist...one of those). I assume it was a promotional model to be displayed at a tavern somewhere. I repainted it OD and added some decals from the stash. Actually, it wasn't even a "kit" per se, I merely revived it in a more 'believable' scheme. I have no clue as to the scale, but those of you who can do conversions, the wingspan is approximately 24".

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Also tried my hand at a 72nd scale Hobby Craft (I think) example. Didn't turn out as well as expected however - got a significant wing droop on it that I haven't "fixed" - yet. After securing some custom made decals, I attempted to replicate the one pictured that I flew in while in Alaska.

• Profile Photo
    Ken Hammer said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Those are some nice looking beavers, Craig. I built the hobbycraft one in 1/72 a couple of years ago, but without the floats.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Craig, I think the BIG Beaver was a promotional gimmick for Canadian Mist. I'm guessing it was so popular, they just decided to offer it as a "kit". I used to see ads for it in Finescale Modeler.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Always fun to make create a mirror of a real aircraft! It's hard to tell, but from looking at the two models (and the photo photo of the real one), it appears that the attachment point of the red strut coming down from the wing may be lower on the fuselage than it was intended, which might account for the wing droop...if that is the case, let me just thank you for proving that I'm not the only one that does stuff like that!

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Nice looking Beavers. Regarding the top set of photos, Bernard nailed it. It was from a company called Cedar Creek Trading Post and was listed as 1/24 scale. I purchased mine through the Finescale ad though mine didn't have the promotional ads decals. My brother and I used to fly into west coast logging camps during the '70s and I painted one the best I could to match one of the ones he flew in. It's still available here...

http://www.dehavillanddreams.com/models/de-havilland-beaver-seaplane-model/

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 4 months ago:

The old brain hasn't shut down yet! Sometimes, I'm not so sure. Thanks, George! Flying into logging camps! Like "Captains of the Clouds". Amazing stuff!