1/48 Tamiya F4U-1/2 Birdcage Corsair

  • 20 posts
  • Last reply 6 days, 11 hours ago
Viewing 1 - 15 of 20 posts
  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

    This is one of the last projects started in 2017, it has been awhile since my last Corsair, at least 20 years. This is my first venture with the well known Tam Corsair kit. And it is as advertised. The last Corsair is one of the first models I built when getting back into the hobby. it was the Academy 1/48th F4U-4. Still have it on the shelf. Anyway let’s start with what is in the box. Molded in Tamiya’s medium grey styrene (remember the Dinah is molded in a light grey). As Tamiya increased their line of 48th scale kits in the 90’s, you can see that they started to add more features like folded wings and dropped flaps. Yet still maintain a straight forward approach to assembling them. I remember one of the points addressed when this kit first came out the ability to fold the wings option made available. Eduard’s zoom set for the cockpit, Fast Frames for the cockpit masking set. And Aeromaster’s WWII USN/USMC Aces decal set. Which has a choice of several options for the Wildcat, Hellcat and Corsair. A real nice set which includes a bio and history summary of the pilots and their mounts. I got this set when it originally printed by Aeromaster around 1996-97. I have only used one of the schemes to date so far. More to follow when we get to the building stage. Thanks for viewing.,

    13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Louis Gardner said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

    Now your cooking !!!! This has to be my all time favorite plane. I’ll be watching this one for updates………. 🙂

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 month, 1 week ago:

    You know it is a treat into finally getting around into building the Tam Corsair, it is as advertised so far. Lot’s of detail yet easy to manage build. Still take my time and enjoy each step and the engineering that Tam made the effort in building a quality model.

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 month, 1 week ago:

    As my usual way of doing things, I first applied the Polly Scale Acrylic Interior Green on the components still on the sprue. Then Tamiya Flat Black for the prop and engine. I use black to airbrush the engine first and then apply the metalizer over that. Since I had some yellow in the airbrush I also quickly masked and painted the tips of the prop at this time. While letting the paint set, I went ahead and assembled the bomb and drop tank. Though I will use either one, haven’t decided the configuration as yet. Being Marine most likely will go with the bomb. Thats it for now. More to follow.

    9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 month ago:

    I went ahead with building the outer wing panels first before getting started on the cockpit. These went together very well. Nice detail in the wing fold area and on the wings themselves. Just a quickie before getting into the interior portion of the build. More to follow.

    4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • George Williams said 1 month ago:

    Loving this already, Chuck, looking forward to watching the rest of this build.

  • Craig Abrahamson said 1 month ago:

    I’ve done several of this build, Chuck….if ya need any spare parts, lemme know.

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

    Thanks George, I am too, this is a joy to build. Thanks for the offer Craig, but I do have everything I need for this build.

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

    Finally some work in the cockpit. Starting with the seat. Though plain looking at first, we enhance it with some PE belts. First however I install the seat into the rear bulkhead. Which will make it easier to handle. Next the forward bulkhead and instrument panel. Then removing the very nice instruments from the face of the IP, to prepare for the Eduards IP Pe bits and faces. Next is to add the PE enhancements on the side consoles before installing. Next the rudder pedals and control stick is installed in the forward bulkhead. Then next install the rear bulkhead and there the interior is finished, a quick test fit in the Rh fuselage half for alignment. More to follow.

    20 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Tom Bebout said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

    Coming along nicely Chuck, I too have the same kit and will follow your build closely.

  • Louis Gardner said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

    The PE parts really add some nice details to the office !!!! Looks great…………

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 weeks ago:

    Thanks Tom, the kit is like everyone that has built them is as advertised. Goes together very well.

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 weeks ago:

    Thanks Louis, they do. My days of detailing with a brush, dry brushing etc…are past so Eduards really enhances the pit.

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

    This session I will first airbrush steel on the engine and wheel hubs. Once dry, next to assemble the engine. First removing the pieces from the sprues. 5 parts, engine bulkhead and the well detailed engine cyl heads and crankcase. Before attaching the crankcase, insert the propeller poly cap. The crankcase is painted glossy Neutral Grey. The magneto is black. A quick wash to bring out the details. Next the cowl flaps is mounted to the engine bulkhead. Tamiya supplies open or closed flaps, I went with the opened option. Then next is the engine cowling, the inside section is painted MM Zinc Chromate Green. Then the cowling is attached to the cowl flaps with the engine, fit is excellent with that this sub assy is completed. More to follow.

    17 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Jeff Bailey said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

    A real beauty, Chuck!

Viewing 1 - 15 of 20 posts