1/48 Tamiya F4U-1/2 Birdcage Corsair

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 40 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks Jeff.

• Profile Photo

Time to button up the fuselage. First a quick test fit of the cockpit assy into the RH fuselage. Fit is excellent no issues, the LH side is then attached and cemented in place. Once set, time to install the 1/4 window inserts into the upper rear section of the fuselage. Normally on other kits this could be a potential problem, no in this case the fit is good. Being Tamiya doesn't guarantee perfection, it is me that can mess it up. Tamiya just produces an excellent fitting kit, with clear instructions of assembly, it is still up to me me as the builder to have to assemble it correctly. So far it is coming along quite well and a joy to work on. Next up the center wing section...

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Your Corsair looks great Chuck. My favorite all time plane ... The seat belts really bring the office to life...

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, amazing how seatbelts become a focal point within the cockpit. The instrument panel as well. An important detail that really enhances the overall cockpit.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Like you, I think those two areas grab the most attention... Yours looks fantastic. I can't wait for the next installment...

• Profile Photo

Next up is the center wing section. Very detailed, Tamiya hit a homerun with this part of the build. The construction process and approach was easy to follow. 1st removing the main lower wing section from the sprue and add the brace that you can see through the aiming window. Next was to remove the LH/RH upper wing sections, which also includes the well detailed gear bays. Already pre painted in the LT Grey. This step make sure you remove a section of the wing if you plan to display with the wings folded. In this case is how I will display when completed. Next to install the center bulkhead that divides the front and rear areas of the gear bay. Cement the upper inner wing panels to the lower wings and then insert the oil coolers in each wing. Finally install the assembly into the fuselage. Now she is taking shape. The fit here is excellent, the rear step that normally appears on some kits where the wing joins the lower fuselage is almost perfect. Mostly sanding cleanup will take care of this. More to follow.

19 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 1 month ago:

In this segment I will install the engine and cowling to the fuselage. Once set then the tail planes next. Slowly but surely taking shape. Again everything fits very well. I had forgot to show the engine coolers on the last post, so here they as they installed into the leading edge of the inner wing panels. Fit again is very good. No step, easy clean up. Next time up install the flaps on the wings. More to follow.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 1 month ago:

It's coming along very nicely, Chuck. I love your detailing in the office ! I have almost no experience with any Tamiya aircraft (yet) - only armor - but it seems like a beautifully engineered and detailed offering. Well done, my friend ! I look forward to more about this endeavor.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jeff, you will enjoy building a few once you get your hands on any Tam aircraft kit you should happen to start. Even the early stuff is pretty good. I have some Tam armor kits built a few over the years, in fact will kick start a German Panzer IV/70 Tank Destroyer that has been shelved for a few years. Seeing a few amazing tanks lately have been quite inspirational.

• Profile Photo

One of the detail aspect I love about this Corsair is the ability to display it with folding wings and dropped flaps. It just enhances the kit so much more. Though Hasegawa's Corsairs are pretty good, you would have to get AM sets or modify to drop the flaps. First I started with the outer flaps, built them and added them to the outer wing panels. The fit are spot on. Next is to build the 4 inner flaps. Nice detail here as well. I love the approach Tam took in how they fit so well into the wings. Little details such as the little extension in between the flaps when they are in the down position. All 4 again just snapped into place. Next up, add the struts and clear bits. More to follow.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

You have definitely made some great progress !
    The Corsair is my favorite all time plane and this one is looking good ... The Corsair looks best with the flaps dropped like you are doing.

Are you going to fill in the step on the starboard side inboard flap or leave it be ?

My understanding is that the early F4U's had this step area covered with a small spring loaded door. Later in the production run (around the Dash 1D planes ) is when they started to use the open step on planes.

But keep in mind, these parts were occasionally replaced in the field with the newer style flap. So it can be possible the flap was open like you have here.

Looks great my friend !

Now I want to build a FAA Corsair for the 100 Years of the RAF.

• Profile Photo

I will leave it open as it adds a little character to the subject. Though I have not been able to find a shot of Walsh's Corsair at any time to see how that inner flap is configured with or without the step.

• Profile Photo

Now time to install the clear parts. Starting with the windscreen. But first install the sight and bracket. Then next up the windscreen. I miss using Tenax here as I rarely messed up here with it. I'm using Squadrons new cement, for the most part it's ok, but even with the ruling pen i have goofed on some earlier builds. So this time i just dabbed some Tamiya slow drying cement at certain points and then drop the windscreen in place. No muss no fuss this time. Using the same method, I then install both 1/4 windows. Both fit very well here. While letting those bits set, I next went to install the lower observation window. This was typical of the early Corsairs and most naval aircraft at the time. The window fits perfect. Next to temporarily with white glue install the canopy. Next is to mask off the lower window and apply interior green. At the same time I airbrushed Interior Green on the TD Fast Frame canopy masking set. Next up some pre shading and start to lay some paint. More to follow.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Hey, Chuck, that last one looks very much like a 'Rorschach' test, "so tell me, vat do you see when you look at this splot?" - "well, I see two spitfires diving on a group of around six Me 109 E's - about midday, over the rolling Sussex hills on a clear day..."

I'll tell you, it's a new 'styreneitis' diagnosis test.

• Profile Photo

To be honest I see something else. But what I have to say is not appropriate for this site. Let say something feminine and leave at that. (blushing)