1/48 Tamiya F4U-1/2 Birdcage Corsair

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 40 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Now to do some pre-shading. First a quick once over the final seam work around the air frame. Then applying Tamiya Flat Black around the panel lines once satisfied the Corsair is ready. Next up is air brushing Polly Scale Acrylic Lt Grey for the under surfaces of the air frame. A little high up the front side of the nose. Set that off to side for a couple hours. Then air brush Aeromaster Warbird color USN Blue Grey, now I had the original shade and a mixture left over from the Midway GB that was a faded shade of this color. So first I applied the normal fresh shade of Blue Grey. Once the first coat was shot, I reloaded the brush with the faded shade of Blue Grey and lightly sprayed over the top and on the wings as well. Also went over the Fast Frames masking set and airbrushed the Blue Grey over the Interior Green. Once done, it's time for the clear coat and start applying some markings. More to follow.

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

It won't be long now Chuck, and you will be putting the "stickers" on it... 🙂
    Looks great my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Chuck,
    Can't go wrong with the Tamiya Corsair. Looking good to this point and will follow your progress

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis just about there. Frank, it is one of the most pleasant builds I have ever assembled on any model. And looking forward to finishing it.

• Profile Photo

Decal step is completed will show a couple of images of after a coat of Mission Fla clear is applied. Next is to install the landing and tail gear. Before apply the flat coat, I did a grimy wash over the glossy coat. The tires were painted Tamiya Rubber Black, then the Rims hand painted MM Steel. Next to detail the tail hook and wheel assy. Assemble and install into tail wheel bay. The main gear struts installed. Now to attach the wheels. Next up the bomb rack. A snap view with the Corsair on its wheels. Next is to apply the True Details canopy mask. First to carefully lift the windscreen section from the backing and apply it to the windscreen. The alignment is good. Prior to apply any of the masks, I had run some silver pencil over the wear areas around the framing. Next up to apply the canopy mask over the canopy. The view from inside is the interior green. This goes on well also. Next up are the 1/4 window framing. These are small bits but they don't give me any problems applying them. Once that's done time to attach the canopy in the open position. The next session will be the last before the final finish is revealed. Thanks for viewing. more to follow.

24 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years ago:

Great work, Chuck. Just don't go too far with the weathering...

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years ago:

Yeah a little too much elbow grease on that bird.

• Profile Photo

Now just add the final detail bits to complete this amazing kit of the Corsair. Now I am not a fan of using bare metal foil. But seeing how our friend Louis Gardner uses bare metal foil on some of his projects, an idea came to me, (I'm sure others have used this technique long before I did) using aluminum foil for the spotlight backing. So with the Corsair landing lamp, I cut a piece of aluminum foil.

Place that landing lamp lens over it and cut around it with a sharp or new xacto blade in this case.

Trim around it and place a dab of white glue to attach it.

Then a little more dab of white glue and install it into the LH lower wing.

As well as installing the pitot tube as well..

Next up is installing the tail wheel gear doors.

This is the only time in the whole build that was a little fiddly in attaching the doors. I think it was more me than the process.

Next the main landing gear doors. This was a smooth operation for both sides.

Then exhaust tips, these are quite small, and some how broke one in half removing it from the sprue. Never had that happen before so I only ended up putting the RH side on only. Going to have to probably rob one from another kit. Later.

The mast and attaching the wings and she is completed. What a joy to build.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years ago:

Already looking very good Chuck, I like how you managed to do the landing lights with foil! I wonder whether you have any close-ups for the folding mechanism on Corsairs? I need it for a WiP I will launch soon here!

• Profile Photo

Let me see what I have for you.