1/48 Accurate Miniatures TBF-1 Avenger

Started by Louis Gardner · 38 · 7 years ago · 1/48, Accurate Minatures, Avenger, TBF, TBM
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Here's a few pictures of a project that I started a little while ago and then it stalled. I wanted to build an early Avenger before the Battle of Midway. I was inspired by these original WW2 color photograph.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I made the corrections to the cowling for the single .030 caliber machine gun that was carried by the early Avengers.

• Profile Photo

Here are a few close ups of the cowling. It still needs a little more filler in the machine gun trough.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Here are the plastic sprues with some paint work done. I mixed up some "Bronze Green " but it doesn't show up too well in these pictures. I have also included a picture of the clear parts and instructions.

I have assembled the outer wings, rudder, and stabilizer assembly.

I masked off the rudder and painted on the red and white stripes.

The early WW2 Naval aircraft had a tricolor stipe arrangement on the ends of the propellers. They were red, yellow and blue.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Looks like a great start, Louis. Can t say much about how accurate you gun correction is but it will be a stunner like your other posted builds for sure.

• Profile Photo

Several years ago I was able to look at a very early build TBF Avenger that was pulled from Lake Michigan and is now being restored to a static display locally. I used it as a reference for the gun trough. I still have to add filler over the white plastic that was glued in place.

The main reason I put the plane on hold is that I was deciding on what would be the best way to modify the kit to an earlier "Dash - 1". I still have to plug the empty casing / links ejection holes in the bottom of the wings and the barrel openings for the .050 caliber guns on the leading edge.

Then I have to decide on what to do with the rear fuselage windows. There was a round window in the rear entry door, and I'm pretty sure the other side windows were located in different stations.

I think I have finally figured out what I'm going to do with these areas. Meanwhile I had started my other builds, the 3 Corsairs and my SB2C-4 Curtiss Helldiver, so the AM Avenger sat on the shelf for a while.

Thanks for the compliments Bernt. I have a few more pictures to post on the Bronze Green mixture.

Here's another color photo but this plane doesn't have the red and white rudder stripes or the red center to the US insignia.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 5 months ago:

I've done a couple of those AM Avengers...they go together quite nicely and are a pleasure to work on. This one is off to a good start for sure...and I know of the Avenger to which you refer (Deland, right?)

• Profile Photo

Yep, that's the one! It's in pretty good shape corrosion wise. They have made some good progress on it. It's inside a metal building now. I wish that somehow it would be taken back to airworthy status. It has a very early bureau number and is a rare bird indeed.

This is my first AM Avenger.

• Profile Photo

Here's a picture I took in the sunlight to show how the "Bronze Green" mixture looks in proper lighting.

• Profile Photo

Here are some other pictures of the actual color on real aircraft. Its really hard to describe. It looks more of a blue / green and in some areas it looks even darker.

These are pictures of the color that I took inside the Collings Foundation B-24. I'm pretty sure that these areas "may" be original paint.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I had to throw this picture in... The people at American Aero Services are outstanding !

My mix started out as Model Master Japanese Army / Navy Green. Then I added in a few drops of Sea Blue and a few drops of white to lighten it up a little.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Louis, cockpits - Bronze Green, 34092 Euro I Green is one of a couple, I always confuse it with Dull Dark Green, myself. Other possibilities (for me) are 34052 USMC green, or 34086 Green Drab. I also hear things about RR BN green- dark one, not the light one. If that's not enough, look at IPMS Stockholms 3 part series on WW II interior colors for both USAAF and Navy.
    Ultimately, your choice.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the info. I've checked out the IPMS Stockholm's website and there is a TON of great information available there, especially on the colors. I'm pretty sure that the shade of "Bronze Green" varied a little between manufacturers. I even used Model Master RLM 70 one time to achieve a color which was very similar to the bulkhead behind the pilot seat in this picture here...
    Thanks again for the help my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Sorry but this one has been on the back burner for a while. I am working on the 3 Corsairs and Curtiss SB2C lately.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Now that I have finished the 3 F4U Corsairs and the SB2C is done, I have resumed work on the AM Avenger.

I have been thinking about this one for a while now. I had a small dilemma with the side windows on the aft fuselage. Since I wanted to model a very early dash 1, the side windows were in a different location. This is how I dealt with the problem.

I glued in the side windows. These are clear parts. I used a hot glue to help melt the windows in place.

Then I scuffed up the outside of the glass. To help prevent loosing surface details during sanding, I masked off the surrounding area. Then I applied Squadron green putty.

I have to let this stuff dry for a while.

Another difference with the early dash 1 planes is the forward section of the fuselage. It has a trough for a single forward firing.030 caliber machine gun. The early birds didn't have wing guns so those openings will get filled in too.

So I filled in the gun trough on the cowling. Once the putty dries I will sand this down to where it looks acceptable.

Here are some pictures.

Enjoy.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.