1/48 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk-1

Started by Ferry Dierckxsens · 9 · 6 years ago · 1940, Battle of Britain, Biggin Hill, Hurricane, RAF
  • Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 11 months ago:

As I recently joined iModeler, I like to share my built of the Hurricane Mk-1 from Airfix.

Received as a gift, it was idle for several years in my stash until I started working on it early 2013. I decided to build the model OOB and for me as a nice tribute to the RAF in early 1940. The version I'm building is from No.32 Squadron, stationed at RAF Biggin Hill and later Hawkinge in July 1940. I've visited the memorial in Hawkinge, and several more in the UK, and thought this was a good idea. From the start of the building unfortunately I have no pictures.

Not long after I had started my business used a lot of time and also moving house pushed the scedule. Anyway with more time on hand I took the Hurricane back on my workspace and it's allmost ready for display.

For this old tooling it still worked fine without to many real challenges. I added some lead foil straps on the seat. Underside is painted HB beige green, Top side Revell Aqua dark green and dark earth. The landing lights in the wings were just a flat surface. Using my punch and die set, I made two disks which are covered in chrome bare metal foil. I think it worked fine, it was a liitle experiment.

Despite the age of this kit, the decals went on fine and reacted very good on Microscale set and sol. So I was very pleased with that. After decaling the whole plane received a coat of clear matt.

Now in the final stages I have to do some small touch up work on the canopy, sorting the antenne out and do some subtle weathering. Your comments and ideas are allways appreciated and I'll keep you posted on the final progress.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Well here's a coincidence. I'm thinking about building the 'new' Airfix Hurri as my next project, but using these decals from the older kit.

Looks very nice indeed.

Ian.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Ferry, the "old" Airfix Hurricane is better in shape than the Hasegawa (basically a II). Simple kit, which you can add to, rather than hack away at wrong details, or multiple unused options that need to be faired in. The newer Airfix Hurricane is better, but you pays your money, and takes your choice. I like them both!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 11 months ago:

I like using the Bare Metal Foil for various things during a build. Besides landing lights, it works good for landing gear oleo struts / shock absorbers. Your Hurricane really looks nice. I'll be looking forward to updates my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks guys, I just had some time to do a little work on the Hurricane. Antenna, and some smaller stuff added. Now only some light weathering and I'm happy as it stands.
    Final update to follow.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 9 months ago:

OK, I want to build that kit, too. But I'd better do the 1:48 Hasegawa I've got in my stash first.

Nice work and I look forward to the completion!

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Very nice

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Thank you David and George. So finaly finished it tonight. Started this one long time ago, and it survived moving house as well, so I'm pleased with the result of the old Airfix kit. Added some antenna wire, and some light weathering, however it does not really show on the photo's. Some official photo's will follow. Next to finish will be the Mosquito Night Fighter.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Very nicely done, Ferry. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Mozzie.

Ian.