This is a plane that I started several years ago. It is gong to be completed in a Pre War natural metal finish, based on a plane that I found a few photos of in the Squadron book that I really liked. I masked off the red, white and blue rudder stripes and started covering the plane in various shades of Bare Metal Foil.
It was coming along nicely when a small disaster struck, which caused me to park it on a shelf inside my display case where it sat for long time………………. at least several years.
Pardon the dust.
Here’s a picture of the box top:
and the Squadron Signal “In Action” book I have for a reference…………….where the pictures are found that inspired this build.
Previously I had assembled the kit wheels, and did not like how they looked. So I ended up getting a resin replacement set that came along with a life raft, that I may eventually use on another A-20 build in the future.
Tonight I was able to saw the replacement resin wheels from the pour block. Then it was quite easy to sand away the excess resin that was left after sawing. Once the wheels were ready for paint I gave them a spray………….. along with all of the other wheels I was working on tonight for the planes in the Midway Group Build.
I mentioned above that a small disaster struck this plane when I was originally starting the build. What happened was as I removed some of the Bare Metal Foil that was adjoining the ailerons and elevators, the adhesive on the foil pulled away the “Aluminum Dope” finish that I had sprayed on the control surfaces.
While the plane was sitting in the display case, another small disaster happened…………..
We live in sunny Florida where it gets really hot during the Summer. Last Summer, we had our garage door open, and the sunlight was reflecting off the mirrors in the back of the case. The sunlight / radiant heat caused the Bare Metal Foil to bubble some, in one particular shade of foil. The others were not affected.
Thank God, the plastic didn’t warp………………….
Here’s a small photo of the areas I’m describing above:
I also had sprayed the engine cowlings using Model Master “Metallizer” paint, and then buffed it out.
Two days ago I sprayed the engines and started the base color painting process. The engines still need some detail paint work.
This is where I’m currently at with this build.
I had made a New Years resolution to try and finish up most of the started models that were collecting dust………………….. This one is number two for the year, since I recently finished the M-60 tank that I was once a crew member in.
As usual, comments are encouraged………….