1/48 Dragon Fw-190D Work-In-Progress:

Started by Marek Halas · 32 · 8 years ago · Dragon 1/48 Fw 190D-9
  • Profile Photo
    Marek Halas said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Here's one that's been parked up for a while, which I should be returning to shortly.
    To help me along I'm posting some work in-progress pix, which hopefully will prevent me from permanently parking this puppy on the Shelf Of Doom...

Some early shots showing the fuselage spacer required to achieve a good fit.

Note the cockpit has yet to be glued in & has been tacked into place with blobs of blu-tack.
    Detail on the cockpit is pretty good (sorry no photos for now). Location for gluing into place is a bit vague, compared to the likes of Tamiya, Eduard & HobbyBoss.

Wing fit is not too bad. Wheel bay has already got a coat of paint & glued in. It's not completely accurate since that centre panel was inevitably removed in the field, but life's too short to do all that additional scratch building required..

Requiring additional attention was the top wing to fuselage fit. Nothing major but a shim of plastic to underpin the join makes for a strong bond:

, ,
    After that, it's pretty much plain sailing to the primer coat. It's a good kit providing you take care & think about each stage of assembly.
    , ,
    More build photos to follow, in the meantime thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 3 months ago:

This look pretty good, Marek. And good work on the wing roots, thats a problem zone by this Dragon kits. The Dragon 190s are the Trimaster mouldings i guess.
    While its primed, the real fun of modelling late war Luftwaffe birds beginns, the camo. Did you choose a scheme for it ?

• Profile Photo

Thanks Bernd, I think you can describe this project as one for the grown-ups, but having said that it's a perfectly good kit. It's pretty accurate shape wise, nice surface detail, but just requires that extra bit of effort on the build side. Not bad for an eighties vintage moulding from Trimaster, which all said & done, still looks pretty good today. I've started putting on the base colour & sorry no snaps of that yet, and the chosen scheme will be a bit different from the usual Dora fodder:

I'll be doing a captured Soviet one (not unlike the one shown here that I tracked down in my research), which operated out of Marienburg in 1945.

The mottling & fading will be a challenge as I didn't really deal with it that well on the previous Ta-152 build I posted earlier.

• Profile Photo

Hi Marek i still prefer the Dragon/Trimaster kit over the Tamiya one, looks the part, The Trimaster moulds are timeless good stuff. Your choosen scheme is quite interesting, there are photos from this flight(!?) existing.
    I am thinking a bit about to do the Dragon and the Eduard Dora as a side by side build, like my current build, here is a link
    http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234970200-eduard-focke-wulf-fw-190-a-8-a-8-r2-148/

• Profile Photo

Hey Bernd nice Wurgers! I like the simultaneous dual builds.

Re. Dora's: I have one of Eduard's Fw.190D-11's in the stash and it looks to be a very nice kit in terms of detail & accuracy (as I expect their D-9 is). It definitely has the edge over the Dragon kit, however I also picked up the Dragon kits for next to nothing second hand and it makes for a good exercise in honing those model building skills. I don't mind the Tamiya D-9, a good mate from my local IPMS club built one recently and it looked very smart & picked up a few gongs too. My only reservations regarding the kit itself was that to my eye at least, the wheels looked a tad on the small size. Detail for detail it matches Dragon's offering but it is considerably easier to build. It however still lacks that centre wheel well detail that Eduard nails.

• Profile Photo

Hi Marek, i have build both and a side by side view would reveal some differences in shape and size. The Tamiya Dora is way better to build than Dragon or Eduard. A side by side build will have a "open" and a "closed" Dora, something for the future.
    Good luck with your build, looks great. Can t wait to see more color on 🙂

• Profile Photo

Hi Bernd, it's interesting that there is noticeable shape & size difference. I must admit I didn't pick up on it when I did a quick comparison between the Tamiya & Dragon. I guess when you have the plastic parts side by side any issues will become apparent.

• Profile Photo

The Tamiya is a tad smaller, maybe its me. The Dragon spinner and snout looks more like the real thing, can be again me.

• Profile Photo

Hi, a few more photos of where the old Dragon is at currently...

Upper surfaces have had their mandatory pre-shading.

Undercarriage has just been push-fitted into place to check for general fit & alignment.

Undersides have been given a coat of Lifecolor light blue RLM76.

Some shots of the cockpit are also included, belts are from the generic Eduard Luftwaffe set, & very nice they are too.
    When the time comes I'll use the macro lens on the proper camera for more detail stuff, but for the moment all these shots are from my iPad.

Another shot of the cockpit area, which doesn't need much work on it apart from the Eduard photo etch belt set and a scratch built throttle (not seen).
    That's about it for now, I'm hoping to return to this one in the coming weeks, providing I have enough free time.

In the meantime thanks for looking...

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Nice! Having built 3 of these kits I know the struggles that come with it, but care and attention as you have shown yields good results!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Rob, I was forewarned about the kit when I bought it from a mate at my model club. Once you know what to expect, it doesn't bite. (Now Dragon's Horton Ho.229, that's a different matter altogether...that build still awaits).

• Profile Photo

Looks good, Marek. Interesting that you add the undercarriage before painting and decaling.
    After having build Dragons 190, i noticed, that my undercarriage was installed with a wrong angle.
    Good progress, Marek, can t wait to see more 🙂

• Profile Photo

Hi Bernd thanks for the comments, the landing gear in the photos shown are not glued in, and will come out when I get back to spraying the camo. There is a bit of tissue wadding to keep them in place, and by doing these "dry-runs and tape togethers" as I call them, it alerts me to any issues that might bite me later on in the build. Incidentally I'll need to put shims onto the stubs on the gear struts where they locate into the corresponding hole in the wing, otherwise the thing is going to slop around like crazy when it comes to gluing right at the end of the build.

• Profile Photo

Dry fitting is "healthy" good idea, your 190 come out very nicely. Never tried Livecolor
    colors, they look good sprayed on

• Profile Photo

If you can get hold of Lifecolor paints, I'd recommend you give it a go. You can use their thinner or thin with Windex (or try any ammonia based window glass cleaner) and I also add a little bit of Future (about 10-15%) to the mix. It comes out as that semi gloss sheen which polishes up nicely with some micro-mesh pads.