1/48 Eduard Spitfire Mk.IXc

Started by Tolga ULGUR · 12 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tolga ULGUR said 10 years, 6 months ago:

I ve started to built Eduard's Mk.IXc this week. The new story begun with the cockpit components as usual.
    Cockpit went together well easily though there are too many pieces. It s painted to RAF cockpit green with Tamiya acrylic paint ( except for the seat ) .
    PE Instrument panel is a standard of Profipack's version.
    To be continued...

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Another boringly-exccellent and fantastic Tolga Ulgur build. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Cockpit installed into the fuselage. Fuselage halves combined and later the wings attached.
    After some sanding at minimum level ready to be painted.
    Lower surfaces painted RAF Medium sea grey. Upper surfaces painted to RAF Ocean grey firstly.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Camouflage terminated by adding RAF Dark green and sky fuselage band. Now ready to accept decals after a glossy coat of Tamiya X-22.
    And also, flare rack on the front of the seat deleted

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Excellent. Wonder how do you do the shading of these surfaces, can you reveal your painting sequence? Looks to me like you're using multiple shades of each base color. Or is it preshading?

• Profile Photo

Both of them Martin,
    After preshading (actually all surfaces painted to black firstly) different tones of the main color applied. From lighter to darker or vice versa is also possible due to the situation. After decal process I will apply artist oil wash.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Martin,

Athough my results are a little more subdued than Tolga's, our techniques are the same. After preshading, I lay down the base color. Then I take the base color and lighten it. I do not use black or white to lighten or darken as this results in a "Cold" effect. Rather I will use primary colors to lighten or darken. For example, to lighten a green, I will use a yellow, sand, or flesh tone, which gives a "Warm" natural fade effect. Once lightened, I will mix the lightened paint will a flat clear on a ratio of 25% paint to 75% clear, this will result in a somewhat translucent effect that, once sprayed gives a very convincing faded effect. This technique is also great for Luftwaffe mottling..

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks Tolga & Seamus, I will be trying somethig similar on my current build. Traditionally, I’ve had little success with preshading on multi-colored camouflages, but did all the more post-shading work on my models. Not sure if sufficiently though, because of my tendency to stop a bit too early! /M

• Profile Photo
    Anders Isaksson said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Looking good, Tolga!
    I have this kit in progress too but I am still stuck in the cockpit. Hope to return to that build soon. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Tolga ULGUR said 10 years, 3 months ago:

In the end, after decaling , glossy clear ,weathering and a matt coat it s finished.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    James Robert Feuilherade said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Very nice work! Great kit the Eduard Spitfire. I had heard it was the old Occidental kit, but I know the Ocidental had a too small diameter spinner base, which gave the engine cowlings an incorrect pinched nose shape. Seems Eduard must have corrected this, as this looks good. Impressed by the elevator and rudder trim wheels on the cockpit sidewall, firstly they are there! Including the much smaller rudder trim and they are the correct shape. As for the compressed air bottles, can't recall what colour they should be, I think some were painted the cockpit green as the rest of the interior? But certainly a great kit. Is this now considered the best 1/48th scale MkIX?

• Profile Photo
    Tolga ULGUR said 10 years, 3 months ago:

No, this is not the old Occidental. Eduard kit has completely new sprues. And we can consider this as the best 1/48th scale Mk.IX