1/48 Pro Modeler Ju-52

Started by Paul Wilsford · 21 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Wilsford said 6 years, 10 months ago:

since I could not do much with the Year of the Cat GB due to short shot parts I decided to go with this instead. I decided to get into this yesterday and only felt like getting the least amount done. I painted the ip black. That was about it because I am having difficulties seeing the small stuff even with my magnifiers. so I just buckled down today and even with a good two hour nap managed to get most of the cockpit done and the wing halves together. There was a small issue with fit concerning the bottom of the fuselage to the side panels but some clamping pressure and some Weld-Bond it came out pretty nice.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Nice quick start. Always wanted one of these

• Profile Photo
    Paul Wilsford said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I masked the windows yesterday and sprayed some RLM 80 on the fuse and wings. Then I found out that I assembled one set of windows 180 deg out and it is pretty noticeable. Next were the engines. I did the port and starboard ones. I shot the RLM 76 underneath and topped off with the yellow on the tail, wing tips and main engine cowling.

I figured that the green would be a good base color since I didn't have the proper shades as what is called for. From here I can go tropical, winter or what ever. I am leaning more tiger stripe-ish tropical scheme from one of the early war Italian campaigns.

Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Paul. looking great so far. This is a kit in 1/48th a lot of folks wanted, but you sure don't see many built. And not a lot of aftermarket decals that I'm aware of, maybe a cause-and-effect ? The corrugations will be a challenge when the decals are applied, anyhow. Really nice to see one being done, and in Balkan operations markings, too. Lets you get out the yellow paint and lighten up the two greens scheme.

• Profile Photo

Ahhh, Bernard. There's the rub. I will be covering up most of that green with another color.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Looking forward to seeing this take shape! I'm not sure I've seen one in the tiger-stripe scheme you mentioned...I do like out-of-the-ordinary schemes.

• Profile Photo

Well I have changed my mind and decided to go with a winter scheme. I hope that I can pull it off.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Paul, good choice! The green can show thru, and the white can be as patchy as you like. Like the movie JU (borrowed from the Swiss Air Force) in "Where Eagles Dare". Doing two tone green splinter camouflage on corrugations is not for the faint of heart.

• Profile Photo

Some touch ups are needed but this is pretty much how I envisioned the winter scheme. It's not replicating any one particular aircraft because. 1. I don't have any relevant decals for an actual aircraft. 2. It is hard for me to duplicate exactly what livery a particular air craft my carry.

Random stripes were done with rolls of Clever putty, smart putty, panzer putty but basically silly putty.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The issues that were the most problematic with this kit were as follows:

Landing gear struts. You have to drill extra holes to ensure that the struts have a good anchor point as there are only one set of holes for one part of the gear assembly. There should be three.

Bulkheads. I would recommend sanding them or contouring them down some so the top cover of the fuselage fits better.

Horizontal stab. The tab fit is loose so use a good bonding cement to make sure it is square with the fuselage. I didn't and by the time I got back to the build they have already went their own way of setting up and not they are off square.

The engines. Make sure that the exhaust is spread wide enough so that they allow a firm connection between the back of the engine and the mounting surface on the wings and fuselage. If not then it will squeeze the whole assembly and separate the glue bond. On the last two issues I would recommend tube glue or a good CA.

AS it sits right now I just couldn't help not showing this build even though I have yet to put on the niggly bits. I have yet to install the gunners position, the antennas, oil coolers and generator. AS I have said before. I was after the look of what I thought in my mind's eye what one of these would look like and that this build is not an accurate representation of any one air craft. I hope that these pics are pleasing to you and I will have a better photo feature after all is done.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I have been watching this one come along with great interest. I have two of these in my stash and plan on building one soon. Thanks for the updates on the trouble spots. Yours is really looking like a cool plane.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Love it, I haven't seen a kit of this plane for a long time now even when browsing. Too the point I almost forgot Monogram/Revell put this out about the same time as the Catalina if I remember correctly. Any way great progress on this Paul way to go. Looks really good, and now you got me to start keeping an eye out for one.

• Profile Photo

Thank you gentlemen, You are all too kind

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Nice work. Careful handling that model that you never do it by the leading/trailing edge of the wings because you will knock off the separate flap/aileron. Ask me how I know!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Looking good Paul! Will you be done by our next meeting?