iModeler

1/48 Tamiya Me-262 (S) early production version ”Red 3” (4 posts)

• Sometimes you run across a picture of something that just screams out to be built……………an early pre production Me-262…………….nose down Red 3 (or VI + AH ). The (S) variant was built just before they started manufacturing the -1a variant. I believe that ten machines were produced before production went to the regular “Swallow”.

It’s all in a single color, which is RLM 76, a color scheme that I have never seen built before. I will have to scrounge up the radio call sign letters ( VI + AH ) from the decal dungeon.
    Here’s the kit I will be starting with:

and the kit decals which has all of the needed stencils.

The early “S” version of the 262 had a small clear light at the base of the rudder……………. It just so happens that Tamiya have incorporated this feature in the kit that I am using for this build.

I know there are a few small changes that I will have to modify on the Tamiya kit, (but I’m hoping that there will not be too many………).

There are several photos of this plane listed in these two books shown below, that I will be using as a reference material.

There is a lot of good info in these two books as well: I hope I have the bases covered

I have several other builds going on right now….. This one is going to be filler material while I wait for paints / glues to dry…………………
    As usual, comments are encouraged. Thanks

Tags: 1/48, Me-262, Tamiya

• Louis, having now seen the finished product, I have to say again: Great work!

🙂

• Sorry – I just realized that the one you posted is an older, completed build, not this one.

Will you be doing a “Nose Down” diorama like the photos? It’d be interesting, fer sure!

• No problem buddy……………….

I plan on building this one as it could have looked just prior to the landing incident……………

Please stay tuned !!!! I hope to get some work done this weekend.