1/48 Tamiya Me-262 (S) early production version ”Red 1”

Started by Louis Gardner · 54 · 5 years ago · 1/48, Me-262, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Good start Louis! You are an unstoppable modeler, just keep them coming out of nowhere 🙂
    This kit is, like you said, típicas Tamiya. Perhaps more if that’s possible.
    The underside of the tub had some pumbling ot present in the plastic but easy to add. One thing I recall from some photos somewhere is that the aluminium had a yellowish hue to it, possibly some protection cote effect. If you want I can dig up that info.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Louis. Hope you have a great Memorial Day.

To add to your book collection, I have this terrific book that is packed with just beautiful profile paintings and great 262 detail.

I found this illustration of the S1 variant in overall RLM 76, not a common bird at all.

Really enjoying this WiP (despite being a 'filler'), and looking forward to the journey.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks David for the photos and the "heads up" about the book. You are absolutely correct, you don't see too many of these painted in this manner. They supposedly built 10 "pre production" S versions after the "V" prototype planes were built. I just learned that some of the very early 262-1A planes also left the factory in an overall RLM 76 light blue paint scheme.

If I happen to run across a copy of this book you mentioned, I'll get one and add it to my collection. The 262 is one of my favorites from WW2, and my favorite "jet" plane ever...

Boy I was happy to hear that my friends who restore antique planes and "Warbirds" just may be getting their hands on one... to restore back to flying condition. However I don't know if it's one of the "new" production 262's that emerged several years ago. These planes were almost identical to the 262 but they had modern day avionics installed and more reliable jet engines so they could get their airworthiness certificates. They are flying around on occasion to air shows.

Here's a photo of one I found online that was flying at an airshow in Europe.

If they do in fact land the restoration project, I'll be sure to let you know...

Thanks again for sharing these pictures with us !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Pedro for the compliments. This model has been a real joy to build !
    I found out that the early "S" planes had holes in the nose section for 4 cannon openings. This particular kit didn't have that. Instead it came supplied with the two gun openings in the nose.

The kit I am building came with two MK 108 30MM cannons. There was also a difference in how the spent casing ejector chutes were, between the "early" and "later" versions of the 262.

I have two other Tamiya 262 kits in the stash, so out of curiosity I opened one up.

Lucky for me it has the 4 gun nose and associated spent casing ejector chutes. However, I don't know if these are the proper "early" ones or not... Plus I don't have any pictures, (and haven't found any online) showing the "S" version with the nose bay opened up. I can't tell if they had two guns installed or four. On occasion, even though the plane had the 4 gun openings, they sometimes only carried the two lower ones.

So after some thought, I decided to not open the nose section. So I took the 4 gun opening from the other Tamiya kit for use in this build.

I really don't know just yet if I want to add a lot of details to the main gear bays or not. You're correct, from a book I have that shows some good detail pictures of this area, it does appear to have an off silver effect, with a light tint to it. This could be the result of time and aging, or even accumulation of dust and old grease...

From what I can see in the photos which are color pictures taken from "Black X", it appears that the fuselage stringers and areas that were riveted received a light coat of RLM 02 as a protective measure.

The rest of the areas were natural unpainted metal.

I appreciate the offer for the photos, but at this point I don't know if I will add any more details other than what is provided in the kit.

Thanks again !

• Profile Photo

Remember a while ago when I said this kit practically falls together ?
    Here's the finished cockpit...

Some cockpit sidewall details painted on...

and I decided to spray the center portion of the lower wing to help keep over spray from seeping into the main gear wells and fuselage tub...

Time will tell if this idea works or not...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Wow, Louis some photos of sprues and technical details and then 'boom' you drop this sensational cockpit - absolutely beautiful!
    'All killer, no filler'.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul !

This is how I felt every time I read a posting on your fabulous Stork ! That is an amazing build for sure...

Here are some more pictures for you...

This first photo shows the cockpit tub installed in the fuselage half. Tamiya has done a fine job with providing locating pins to keep it squared up properly.

Then I completed the nose strut assembly and glued the other fuselage half together. The fit was perfect. No filler what so ever was needed... I decided to keep the nose bay closed, so I didn't install the 30 MM canons... They will probably be saved for an upcoming Bf-110 build soon... Hint, hint 🙂

Here's some of the details that I hope will be visible once the wing is glued in place... This will look even better with a light oil wash...

• Profile Photo

Then it was time to start on the wings... 🙂

These parts fit just as nicely as the fuselage parts did. Not gaps, no fuss, no muss...

I gave them a test fit onto the fuselage... Lo and behold, the fit was spot on with the very first try. So out came the bottle of liquid glue... Which thankfully I did not spill on the plane this time...

Here's how the fit is on the underside... Again it's perfect. I'm not bragging by any means, it's just this kit is this good. They did their homework with the fit ... My only concern is the kit has the leading edge slats molded in place in the closed position... These would normally be deployed open when the plane was parked, simply due to gravity like they did on the 109...

Here's a close up of the details under the pilots cockpit tub... The oil wash has yet to be applied.

Next up was getting the 4 gun nose panel and cannon bay covers ready to install... Here the elevators and rudder have been added.

Then I decided to build up the engine nacelles, but wanted to leave the ends open so I could glue them in place from the inside. It just makes a neater looking build... and they fit great too...

Here you can see the underside of the plane now that most of the big parts have been done. The box is starting to look bare. 🙂

This last photo shows the main landing gear bay and the bottom side of the cockpit tub with the engines added... I am very pleased with how this one is going together... I hope to have it done very soon.

Thanks for following along so far,

and as usual,
    "comments are encouraged"

Good night my friends.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Tonight I built and installed the Jumo 004 jet engines...

I started out with an idea...

The turbine blades had a light barely noticeable yellowish tint to them on the real ones...

So I took some clear Tamiya yellow ( color X-24 ), and dabbed a tiny amount on the compressor blades.

Then I added some Tamiya thinner and brushed the highly thinned mixture around. It was so faint with the color change that it was hardly noticeable. So I added more yellow sparingly each time until I was pleased with the results.

Here's how it looked once I was done... It changes color as the light reflect off the part, looking darker and then lighter if you rotate the blades.

Next step I glued the compressor intake turbine blades into the intake opening... and it looked pretty good to me.

Next up was the "onion" or exhaust portion of the turbine. I assembled these parts then air brushed them using Model Master "Metalizer" Burnt Exhaust color. Once these parts dried I glued them in place on the exhaust opening part of the nacelles.

I shined a small flash light into the exhaust and took this picture. I wanted you to see the details Tamiya put into these engines. They really look good...

I was eager to install these parts since they were a pretty quick build. Here you can see the intakes glued on. The fit was spot on the money.

Then I turned my attention to the exhaust... and installed them too... again the fit was spot on.

I'll leave you with this parting shot...

It's getting closer to paint time...
    Maybe tomorrow ! 🙂

as usual,

"Comments are Encouraged".

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Thing looks stinking' deadly...even in miniature and 70+ years later...

Nice job, Lou. Really remarkable how you put your hand to stuff.

• Profile Photo

Thanks David... I have been rather busy the last two days doing some engine prep work for the Challenger restoration, so the 262 hasn't received much attention.

I have a set of aluminum racing heads for the 440 engine I'm building for the full sized Challenger restoration. I changed over to a higher ratio rocker arm and thicker push rod set, so I had to open up the push rod holes in the heads. They didn't have enough clearance and the engine would not have lasted very long like that...

So today we took them to my friends machine shop and set them up for the clearance work...

Here's my friend cutting away the metal to give me the clearance needed...

Now back to the regularly scheduled 262 updates:

I installed and painted the gun sight, pilot's armored glass and rear window here in this photo. If you are building one of these, you had better paint the edges of the armored glass before this part gets installed. Otherwise you won't be able to later...

You can see how tight it fits against the windscreen in this picture.

Then I decided to close the canopy... These parts were held in place literally by brushing on some "Future" as a bonding agent.

After letting this work set up all day, it's ready for masking...

Here's how the Swallow looks now...

Maybe tomorrow I can get some paint on her...

Getting closer.

As usual,
    Comments are encouraged...

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Wow a WIp within a WIP Louis, the 1/1 scale Challenger is one to watch. 4 spd car, coupe or a rare convertible. Really can't wait when you start showing a little more on this project. LOL. Back to the 262. It seems like on these Tamiya kits, once you get past the cockpit details, they go together quite quickly. The engineering despite the extra bits on the newer kits, you just apply some liquid cement attach and done, on to the next part to install. This one ready for some colors now. Next let see how you approach your paint session. At this point on mine I first mask the canopy and then paint the interior color on the framing. Then pre-shade the panel lines. Looking forward to your technique.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

This just gets me itching to get to the 1/32 Trumpy 262. Your build logs have a habit of provoking this Pavlovian response, Louis.

• Profile Photo

Chuck,
    You pretty much nailed the next few steps on the 262. The only difference is that I have never sprayed pre shading on the panel lines on any of my builds. Not that I have not thought about it, I just have never tried to. This build would probably have been a great candidate for the technique though. Maybe I'll try it out on the next monotone light color plane I build. Perhaps the Monogram He-111 ? The overall RLM 79 may benefit from it...

Thanks for the compliments and this can be a Build within a build.

Yes the Challenger I'm restoring will be 440 car with a pistol grip 4 speed transmission. It started out life with a 318 small block V-8, but I replaced it with a pretty nasty big block. It will eventually get painted in a Bright red trimmed in black with a black interior. I'll toss in a picture of the progress from time to time.

Here's a few recent pictures of the Challenger progress for you.

This picture shows the car on its way to my friends body shop. We were taking the car off the frame rail jig and placing it on my rotisserie. My friend wanted to use the jig so I lent it to him. He has a 1970 Challenger sitting on it now. In this picture, it is sitting on the yellow frame rail jig that I built for it to keep things squared as welding was done.

Since it's a unibody car, the body's sheet metal has to be in alignment since the suspension is keyed from this. If it's not straight, the car could end up going down the road a little crooked... and the other body panels will not fit properly... not good.

Here's how it looks when we brought it back home. Now it's on the rotisserie and is ready for some minor body work to get it perfectly straight before painting. What I mean by "body work" is nothing major. All of that work has already been done.

I'm talking about getting the body panels to fit proper, and block sanding the car to make sure that all of the body lines are laser straight, and the body is nice and flat with perfect gaps between the panels.

Here I am test fitting the new rear bumper. It fit perfectly and I think that it is because the car was welded on the jig. This kept things squared, and is paying off big time now. After test fitting the rear bumper, I re bolted the back half of the car back on the rotisserie.

Thanks again buddy. I'm really looking forward to seeing your Betty come to life. It's a great choice for a new project.

• Profile Photo

David my dear friend ...

You Sir have missed your calling. You should have done a stand up comedy routine. You make me laugh on a regular basis... and for that I am thankful.

Think... "You're getting sleepy" ... Trumpeter... 262... Schwable... first generation jet... Luftwaffe... Galland... Nowotny... JG 44... JG 7... Swallow... Messerschmitt...
    build it... just do it... damn the torpedo's man... 🙂