1/72 Airfix Gladiator Mk1

Started by · 3 · 10 years ago · bi-planes, inter war subjects, RAF
  • Profile Photo
    said 10 years, 10 months ago:

As a follow up to the review in Headlines, here is the start i've made to the new Gladiator kit from Airfix. I'm not usually a bi-plane builder so i was a bit surprised how small this model is! So far as you will see from the pics i've built up the main cockpit components, and given the interior of the fuselage walls a wash. So far so good - no problems.. the only cautionary note i'd make is removing the parts from the sprues. The struts for the wings are very vunerable to breakage upon removal from the sprue gates. I had to take a bit more time in getting these off in one piece. Rigging has always been a major factor in putting me off bi-planes so i normally wouldn't have tried the Gladiator, however in this instance i'm gonna give it a go, stay tuned folks 🙂

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 10 years, 9 months ago:

This is one that is definitely on my to-do-list. I did a Heller Gladiator (which was a very nice kit by the way!) in Swedish colours almost 30 years ago. It is still around and I still like it, not bad for being built by someone who had hardly turned 15 at the time!

It is a bit quiet in here but I think it has more to do with the infrastructure than a real lack of interest, people simply don't come by the forums. I'll try to pester the webmaster to do something about it, he usually has some good ideas up his sleeve!

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    said 10 years, 9 months ago:

Made a little more progress (see pics) Had a bit of trouble with the upper engine cowl, which didn't line up well, hence the filler. Will carry on a bit quicker now i've completed my P-47 (new post pending in headlines).

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.