1/72 KP/AML Avia S-199 in IAF service

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 15 · 7 years ago · 1/72, avia, iaf, s-199
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 8 years ago:

Avia S-199 was constructed in Czechoslovakia after WWII from parts and plans left over Luftwaffe production. S-199 was a post-war version of Me 109G-6 but with a different engine – Jumo 211 instead of DB 605. Production of S-199 ended in 1949 with around 550 airplanes built.

S-199's was operated by Czechoslovakian and Israeli Air Forces. S-199 was the first fighter obtained by the IAF, forming Israel's first fighter squadron. First Israeli's aerial victory was also scored by S-199. So, I think that this airplane is a very interesting subject for modeling.

Several years ago I've bought AML kit – classic old Czech short run with resin parts. At that time, this kit has no alternatives in 72 scale – only old low-detail Kopro model with raised panel lines. Also, I've bought some additional detail sets from Kora Models, Elf, Part and others.

But in 2014 KP (Kovozávody Prostejov) released new tool model of S-199 – modern high quality short run. You can see the difference on photos. So, know I'll try to build an Israeli S-199 from these two kits and aftermarket parts that I have collected.

Most likely I'm going to build D.120 airplane from the title photo.

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Dry assembly looks good for a short run kit, but it seems, that I have to add plastic to the inner ends of the wings to fill the gap between wings and fuselage. On the second photo you can see kit unification issue. This details available only on airplanes with bubble-type canopy while Israeli's ones have Erla-type canopies.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I've removed everything from a port side of the cockpit and added etched and plastic parts again. Also I've scratched new floor – again kit unification with 109G kits don't play well. Some work was done on the seat too.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years ago:

Dmitry, I was wondering what the "new" KP was like. I have one of the old ones, which were real rare hereabouts. Buddy of mines Father visited the old country, brought it back. Not his scale, so I got it. Like you, I was figuring crosskit with ME-109G. Never happened. Had an equally old Heller 109G I was gonna use the interior from. Before resin, that was.

• Profile Photo

Bernard, new S-199 from KP is a completely new model but unified with AZ's 109G/K series (KP and AZ are just a trademarks of a single company).

I've finished starboard side and a front panel – again it's a mix of PE and scratched parts. Also, I'll use some resin parts from AML's kit. And now it's ready for painting.

Manufacturer recommends to use some dark gray color, like RLM66, but on photos it can be seen that interior was painted with a very light gray shade, so I've chosen FS36118 gray color for the cockpit.

• Profile Photo

Almost done with the cockpit. The first photo – before washes and other weathering, clean look. After fuselage will be glued I'll need to add some other details and remove seam between cockpit and fuselage parts behind the pilot seat. Also, I've added plastic parts for exhausts – resin details from AML kit. So, all is ready for a further assembly.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 7 years, 11 months ago:

Some updates. I've split canopy into two parts – windscreen will be used as is, the rear part should be made from foil and positioned in an open state. Windscreen prepainted from inside with interior color.

The rear part of the interior is also done – seam has been removed and PE parts were added. Also, I've made a gun sight. So, that's all with interior for now.

4 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 11 months ago:

Dmitry, your cockpit work is amazing. I'm gonna request that you leave the canopy open, that should be seen and appreciated. The exhaust parts are really nicely molded. I'm having trouble remembering this is a 72nd.
    Forgot to ask- whats your interpretation of the topside color on this? I've been arguing about that for years! Guaranteed to start an argument amongst the prop folks. I say it's RLM 02, but I'll be open to suggestions.

• Profile Photo

@berniehackettboymodeler Good question, Bernard. KP gives RAL6013 as the overall color (similar to FS34257). I think, this conforms with information in the Israeli Military Aircraft Colors and Markins book. In this book, I've found such text: "ex-Messer pilot and IAF commander Ezer Weizman commented that the RLM02 gray painted Avia in the museum was the wrong color. ... Following this meeting with Weizman, the IAF museum staff found an Avia fuel cap, which confirmed the actual color to be RAL6013". But, in the latest issue of Avizo magazine (http://www.kovozavody.cz/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/AVIZOKP-EN-0416.pdf) there is an article "RLM02 YES OR NO?" which covers this topic too: "... several paints were used, including a light greenish-gray paint, whose hue resembled that of RLM 02 primer and was similar to current RAL 7033. ... It is very interesting, that similar results were found by Mr. Efrati in Israel, ...". So, I still didn't decide which color to use, but all those colors RAL 6013, 7033 and RLM02 are very similar to my mind.

Also, I've bought an authentic paint from Hataka which should represent this Avia's color (RAL6013 according to manufacturer) but it's a little bit darker as it should be, so maybe I'll add some lighter hue to it to represent some color between RAL 6013 and RAL 7033.

PS. Canopy should be opened 🙂

• Profile Photo

Moving to wings. I've cut out all control surfaces and coolant radiator flaps – I want to place them similar to what you can see on the title photo. Also, I'll use photoetched radiator flaps – it looks more realistic I think. I was not sure about it because after soldering it looks ugly but after priming it's ok. Anyway, it should be primed once again along with the whole model.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 11 months ago:

Dmitry, thanks! I LIKE the idea of bus paint! Certainly stranger things happened.

• Profile Photo

Some updates. I've added some small parts to the inner side of wings – it can be seen through these windows in the wheel bay covering. Also I've made an addition to the radiator intake – flap in a slightly opened state and a rod. Right wing also done – photos were made before that. Rudder is finished too.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 7 years, 10 months ago:

Almost done with assembling – I'll need to add armor inside of the canopy and antenna. From the rear part of a kit canopy I've made a billet and made a "vacuformed" canopy. Landing gears is ready too.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Last WIP pics. It's ready!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo