48th Scale P-63C-5 Kingcobra Bendix Racer

Started by Jack Mugan · 5 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 11 years, 4 months ago:

I started this project several years ago and have since decided to reconnect and hopefully finish it at last. In 1945, after getting discharged from the military, Chuck Tucker bought two Kingcobras for $1,000.00 each, one for the Thompson Trophy Race and one for the Bendix, from the War Assets Administration office at Kingman, Arizona. The Bendix racer carried the racing number 30. Chuck and his younger brother set about to prepare the plane for racing. Chuck contacted Bell Aircraft engineer Bob Stanley for advise who told him the fighter carried too much wing for racing and that he should reduce the span. Chuck removed the tips where the wing spars ended leaving a wingspan of 34.6 feet, 8 percent less than the military wing. Chuck then proceeded to add two P-38 wing tanks on the end, remove the ventral fin and all unnecessary equipment to save weight. I started this project with the FM (Fonderie Miniature) 48th scale Kingcobra P-63C kit. The fuselage will be done in natural metal with white wings.Chuck finished seventh in the 1946 Bendix Race with an average speed of 367mph.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 11 years, 4 months ago:

This may be a dumb question, Jack, but maybe I missed the obvious answer (Gawd, I hope this doesn't sound like I'm an i***t) - why would one install extra fuel tanks on an air racer? It's not like it's going very far from the airport and I would think it would ADD weight - to say nothing of added drag.

• Profile Photo
    Lawrence R.(Larry) Schmidt said 11 years, 4 months ago:

The Bendix was a trans-continental race. More gas onboard means no time lost to land to refuel. Adios, Larry.

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Craig... The Bendix is a cross country endurance race. Even with the tip tanks, he still had to make a fuel stop.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Oh. See? I knew I was gonna look stupid!