A weekend build, a long term headache and real world troubles!

Started by Josh Patterson · 8 · 6 years ago · 260Z, B-29, Wildcat
  • Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Well, after seeing Tom Cleavers article on the PBJ, I really wanted to do another tri-color scheme (and also needing something for the Year of the Cat build) so I started my Wildcat this morning. Just a few details to paint in the cockpit and it will be going together before bed. I anticipate it on the paint bench tomorrow after work and final assembly Tuesday or Wednesday.

I've been working on a B-29 for quite some time now and wish I had just polished out all the seams for the application of Metallizer. This project had stalled due to frustration but seeing Doc at EAA this year rejuvinated me. It will still be a while as I get a little covered before things start to go awry and I want to make it take flight. I just keep telling myself that it will look great when it is finished. (It is also expensive to do this as sheets of BMF are about $8 a pop. Between completion and mistakes I'll have about $80-$100 dollars in the finish.)

Then in the real world, my Z car started making some wicked noise from the bottom end so I have an engine to pull and inspect. I just hope I haven't hurt anything too badly as I drove it about a mile afterwards. (It was pretty quiet holding a steady speed, but acceleration and deceleration made the most offensive sounds!) I HOPE I can get away with polishing the big end journals and installing new bearings. At least nothing came flying out the side of the block!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Good luck finishing the Cat and with the car repair of course... Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Good stuff, my friend! Best of luck with your Z-car - it looks great, too! You've got your hands full with all those projects!

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Well Jeff, I got the Wildcat knocked together today. The Tamiya Wildcat is a very easy build, hopefully the Hellcat is too because now I want one of those! I don't think I'll have it completely painted tomorrow though as Hobbytown was out of the Non Specular Sea Blue until Tuesday or Wednesday. (I might have some left over from my Ventura build. Have to check the paint bench.)

• Profile Photo

Josh, the 2 'Cats will look great together. Kinda like 2 brothers a year or 2 apart. They were never as sleek, sexy & pretty as a Spitfire or a P-51, but they sure got the job done when called upon!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Wow Josh. Your Z car is my favorite car that Nissan / Datsun ever built...

Sounds like you lost oil pressure...

As a former automotive engine machinist, I would also pull the pistons and check the wrist pins. I have seen them replicate the same noises you described. Then disassemble and check out the clearances inside the oil pump on the rotors and housing, making sure that the oil pump drive didn't fail or the oil pump relief spring didn't stick...

If the engine ate a bearing then its a good idea to totally disassemble the engine and clean everything, since fine metal particles have a way of getting everywhere ...

another spot to check is the line bore on the main journals, especially if you spun a main bearing...but rod bearings are more likely to spin than a main is. If you spun a rod bearing then definitely install new bolts and then get the rod re-sized . Any competent machine shop can do this.

I really like using Bare metal foil. I have a B-17 in my work pile that has been started using it. Your '29 looks great.

Please post some photos of the Wildcat when you can, and enjoy the Holiday weekend bud.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Hey Louis...your diagnosis sounds a few pay grades above the "shade tree mechanic" position! 🙂

• Profile Photo

These guys are waaaaay above my shade-tree mechanical abilities! Model building, too!