Brewster Buffalo (Tamiya 1/48)

  • 58 posts
  • Last reply 15 hours, 52 minutes ago
  • buffalo, Tamiya
Viewing 1 - 15 of 58 posts
  • Dmitry Stropalov said 2 years, 6 months ago:

    I wanted to try something in 1/48 scale, so I’ve found this kit from Tamiya. This is an old one from 70th, it has raised panel lines at some areas, but fit and detail level is quite good. I’ve chosen Netherlands AF painting scheme, 1942 year.

    I’ve started from re-scribing panel lines. Then I was used to pre-paint wheel bays, because after wing assembly it would be hard to get there. Also I’ve cut out all control surfaces (glued sprue will be sanded).

    5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 2 years, 6 months ago:

    Dmitry, glad to see this kit get some exposure. I just found an original boxing, and I’m pondering what to do with it so far as markings. Thinking British or Australian, Malaya.
    I’ll view your build with more than a little interest. Thanks for doing this at this time.

  • Dmitry Stropalov said 2 years, 6 months ago:

    It’s time for updates. I’ve sanded elevators, made grooves for brackets and glued brackets (it will be brackets after some sanding). Also I’ve searched for photos where ailerons will be visible from the bottom, because there is no grooves on them on my drawings. I didn’t find any photo where this grooves are visible, so I’ve decided to remove them with plastic rods.

    Wing parts were glued together. Position lights should be also improved, so I’ve glued sprue there for the start.

    5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Dmitry Stropalov said 2 years, 6 months ago:

    Elevators are ready. Wings are waiting for ailerons to be installed.

    3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Bryan W. Bernart said 2 years, 6 months ago:

    Great idea for the control surfaces! I may try this with my PB4Y-2.

  • Dmitry Stropalov said 2 years, 6 months ago:

    Yeah, Bryan, it’s worth its time, because it will look a way better on a finished model.

    It’s time to start work on interior. I’ve cut out excess parts of wings, which were seen from inside, filled hollows with Milliput – this should be a cabin walls in a future.

    2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Gregor d said 2 years, 6 months ago:

    Great rescribing work Dmitry.

  • Dmitry Stropalov said 2 years, 6 months ago:

    Done with ailerons. They are mounted with a small deviation for more natural look. I’ve already started working on a cockpit and a wheel bay – it’s a lot of work there.

    2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Gregor d said 2 years, 6 months ago:

    Great work on enhancing this old kit Dmitry.

  • Dmitry Stropalov said 2 years, 6 months ago:

    So, it’s time for updates. I’ve added airframe fuselage structure to the bottom part of cockpit. Also improved spar box – there should be no space between it and wings/fuselage.

    PE parts partially installed. Now I need to add wires, some small details and cockpit floor just under the pilot’s seat. Also I’ve removed horrible molded seat belts from the seat.

    5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Dmitry Stropalov said 2 years, 5 months ago:

    A small update – scratch built floor detail. Now I need to add some wires and pipelines into cockpit.

    2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 2 years, 5 months ago:

    Dmitry, window on the bottom, or painted/plated over?

  • Dmitry Stropalov said 2 years, 5 months ago:

    It should be a window on the bottom. It’s one of the main characteristics of this aircraft. And also it seems that I’ll do another painting scheme (USA).

  • Greg Kittinger said 2 years, 4 months ago:

    Really enjoying this build. You do great detail work. I build 1/72, so some of what you do would be lost at my scale, but I’m always challenged to add as much detail as will possibly be seen, and your effort provides lots of ideas!

  • Dmitry Stropalov said 2 years, 3 months ago:

    Thanks Greg!

    Returning to this build. I’ve finished adding wires and tubes to the cockpit, so now it’s ready for painting. Also I’ve scribed some additional elements on wings (according to drawings) and corrected panel lines – you can compare this photo with a previous one in this thread. And I’m thinking about rivets, because it’s 48 scale and it would be a great addition to a model look.

    2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 58 posts