Brewster Buffalo (Tamiya 1/48)

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 88 · 5 years ago · buffalo, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Slowly I finish the interior. Everything behind the pilot's seat is done along with the pilot's seat itself. What is left is the rails for canopy – I've made it already, but didn't install yet.

Vac-form canopy part from Pavla

Also, I've started building wheel bay interior – a lot of work to be done here...

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

That is the best Brewster cockpit I've yet seen! The interior fuselage detail is equally nicely done! Hope this inspires others to build this much maligned fighter. Overcome by circumstances outside its control, like the TBD.

• Profile Photo
    Mark Rezac said 6 years, 1 month ago:

It just keeps getting better.

• Profile Photo

@berniehackettboymodeler and @markrezac – thank you! Your support keeps me doing this.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

This is some amazing work here ! I've been watching your updates and it looks fantastic . The little things are what sets it apart from others. Well done.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner thank you, Louis!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Dmitry, thank you. When I get mine out, this is going to be my primer. Been a favorite of mine since I got the 72nd Revell one, waaay back. That and my love of the under dog. Must be the Oirish in me.

• Profile Photo

And The Wheel Bay... I didn't find any good materials about it, so my work was mainly based on some photos and schemes. I've added tubes, frames, pipes and built a rear part of an engine from spare parts. Everything were painted, and wing parts were re-painted. Again, the same situation as with cockpit – I'll need to add some parts to this wheel bay after assembling. The story goes...

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    paul teixeira said 6 years, 1 month ago:

You are knocking this build out of the park. WOW some great techniques and advance modeling skills.

• Profile Photo

@jjetmec Thanks, Paul!

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 6 years ago:

Not much updates since last time – I was waiting for a glue and putty to dry completely. Unfortunately, fit of fuselage and wings parts was not good:

Exhausts were drilled and then installed:

And finally I've finished a tail section – rudder, fuselage, elevators:

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years ago:

This is coming together nicely ! Do you know what colors you are going to paint this one in ?

Yellow Wings era, solid Gull Gray or Blue Gray over Gull Gray ? ( I think it was called gull gray)...

Never mind my dumb questions. I just went back and read your first post. Netherlands 1942. This one will really look good.

Looking forward to seeing your next update.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner Hi Louis! That's a question for me. I wanted to have this pre-war colorful painting schema, but unfortunately it was mainly used for F2A-1 versions, and Tamiya actually did F2A-2, and I've decided to not convert it back to F2A-1 because of major difference in cowling, canopy, etc. Also, I've found good profiles of Midway Buffalo's, and again I've got a miss – for Midway I need F2A-3. Also, all export versions of Buffalo's didn't have this bottom window, and I think that without it it's not a Buffalo 🙂 Most likely it will be painted in overall gray and has USA insignia. But I'm still searching for a good schema for F2A-2.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years ago:

Dmitry, there were -2s in yellow wing, Fighting 2, and 3 at least. You could also do the overall light gray scheme, which was the interim scheme before the blue topsides were added in mid 41. -3s went to both the Marines and the Navy. Later, what was left went to training command.

• Profile Photo

@berniehackettboymodeler Thanks, Bernard! I'll check this options. This is something Yellow-Wings Decals produces?