Brewster Buffalo (Tamiya 1/48)

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 88 · 5 years ago · buffalo, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 6 years ago:

Yeah, and it's made especially for her 🙂

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years ago:

A truly remarkable labor of love for a bird that was an underperforming ugly duckling. Somehow, careful work on a kit like this makes it into a swan. Well done!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years ago:

Marvellous work on the windscreen, this vacuforming amazes me really!

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 6 years ago:

Thank you, friends! Your comments keep this build running!

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 5 years, 12 months ago:

A small update and discovery of a technique from my past, when I was working in a signage company when I was a student. I've got masks for the national insignias and numbers – all of them has a white background, so I've pre-painted these areas with white (because I don't want to deal with applying a white color over the darker background), and I've got a question – how to transfer a foil from a paper to a model? And the answer is – use some weak adhesive tape (that's what I was doing in a workshop, building outdoor signs). Here, I was using some adhesive tape for paper.

The first step is to remove everything, leaving only the needed elements:

Next, apply the "transferring" tape:

Carefully remove a paper:

Arrange items on a surface (due to a semi-transparent tape it's not that hard, and it's not a decal, so you have a lot of time):

Remove transferring tape:

Then, I've applied a dark blue color on insignias, mask the roundels, and next is the base color:

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Beautiful, delicate work, Dmitry.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Nice work on the markings.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Thank you, friends!

As this build is a kind of an experiment, I've made some additions to a pre-shading process, adding some color variations into it. Unfortunately, it's very hard to make it clearly visible on the photos:

Prop should receive some chipping:

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Dmitry, this is fantastic work that is really engaging and helpful. Your work is truly impressive. I have to say I'll be a little sad to see this finished.

• Profile Photo

@dirtylittlefokker Thank you, David! When this Buffalo will be finished, there will be something else. I have too much already started kits waiting for me.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Outstanding work Dmitry! Question: On the transferring of numbers using the transparent tape, what were the numbers made of? You mentioned foil, but did you print these or apply them to the paper before you transferred them? Really intrigued and would like to know more. I am planning a diorama with multiple A/C in a group and need to have different numbers for each one. This would be very helpful. Cheers!

• Profile Photo

@jamesb Hi, James! This is mask made on the vinyl stencil film ORAMASK 810 with a cutter. It looks like this:

An if I go with that JP671 number for example, I would remove foil/film around the letters and numbers, leaving only those elements I want to transfer, and then I'll apply transferring tape, and so on – like on my previous photos. I just forgot to made the first photo 🙂

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 11 months ago:

I get it now. I will have to explore this technique further. Thanks for sharing.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Beautiful work, and great tutorial.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Greg's right, this is beautiful work.