Brewster Buffalo (Tamiya 1/48)

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 88 · 5 years ago · buffalo, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Thank your friends for your attention and comments!

I've finished painting, it was not so hard – just one color. After removing masks, the only thing that was left – red roundels of national insignia and black stripes on the wings near the cockpit. Masks contains both positive and negative roundels, so I've applied them in a such way – first, I've positioned a positive roundel inside of a star (that takes some time, to do it precisely in the center):

Then, using positive roundel as a position mark, I've applied a negative mask, removing a positive mask afterwards. And it's ready for painting:

Exhausts were painted with a "chipping" color as a base for pigments. Also, I don't need to apply any decals, so I can move directly to shading and weathering now. And I like the result of using masks instead of decals, especially, when it comes to rivets and panel lines.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Beautifully done, Dmitry. I really admire your precision work on the masks. Wonderful, and I'm looking forward to seeing her finished.

• Profile Photo

Washes were applied and a layer of a matt varnish afterwards. For washes I was using artistic oil and white spirit. Maybe, now it looks too contrast, but we will see how it will be at the end, after other weathering steps. Anyway, this build is an experiment, so I'm prepared for a scary result 🙂

• Profile Photo

Intermediate weathering results. I've applied a light gray filter to the overall model to slightly remove a contrast. After that I did something, which I don't know how to call, with Vallejo washes. This technique is pretty simple and time consuming, but gives a good results (at least, I think so): I wet some panel with a water, and then put drops of wash on it – wash starts to spread across the surface randomly, which gives some natural look of a dirty and used surface. All of this areas of dust and mud on photos are made using this method. And at the end I've applied black wash through the airbrush to create exhausts smoke. What do you think about such weathering?

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Wow. Not sure about how others feel but I like it. Guess you can start calling it the Dmitry Method!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Dmitry, thanks for the painting tip! I like it! The plane really looks great. You don't see the overall gray scheme too much. It was the first step to wartime camouflage, after the yellow wings era. To those who were paying attention, a warning about where we were going.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Bernard, thank you... I've missed your comment, while you were with us. This build will be a tribute to you.

Maybe, the last WIP photos – it's a final assembly, so nothing special.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 11 months ago:

It's really gorgeous, and I'd love to see a video of your Vallejo washes technique! (hint, hint...)

• Profile Photo

@gkittinger Thanks, Greg. I'll try to record a video of it, because it's hard do describe it even with step-by-step photos.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

@jamesb - we tried the 'Dmitry Method', still ended up with four kids...

This is an outstanding piece of work, D. I love the subtle changes in shade and tone. Beautiful.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 11 months ago:

@dirtylittlefokker - LOL, you need to go on tour. You could make a killing in Comedy clubs!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, David! This is what I really tried to achieve – this small tonal variations.

And I'm calling this done after 2 years, 7 months and 15 days after my first post in this thread. A HUGE thanks to everybody who followed it, commented or just browsed – without you it will not be possible. I need to say a few more words about all of this, but I'm leaving it for the final post in the headlines.

And final photos in this thread, before I reach my camera.

• Profile Photo