Building the Academy 48th scale F-4B Phantom

Started by Jack Mugan · 11 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Who doesn't like the Phantom? Hasegawa had a corner on the market for this aircraft, and Monogram had a couple of offerings as well, but then interest in this aircraft seemed to have all but disappeared. But as the old saying goes, what goes around comes around... again. I fell in love with the box art, something that seems to contribute to my impulse buying all to often. So here I go... again. I made the decision to do this one OOB with the canopies closed and to just concentrate on the scheme.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    said 10 years, 10 months ago:

looks great Jack. How long did it take you to get to this stage? Keep up the good work!

• Profile Photo

Gregor...Well it has taken a bit of time so far. I ran out of rivets and had to contact Mike for more. Unfortunately he was on vacation, so I had to wait for his return. More are on the way now. I used the time to build and paint the underwing stores. It is going to take me some time to finish this project, but it is fun to load it up with data stencils. I want to do the F-4E next as that has a lot of the same stenciling.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Jack,

Excellent build. IMHO the Navy grey-white scheme looks deceptively simple to apply, but it isn't - a lot of masking involved. Your pictures remind my of efforts on my recent efforts on a F4D. Is that the light, or can I see a bit of yellowing on some of the wing stencils? Weird on a brand-new kit.

• Profile Photo

Which photo are you referring to? I do not see any yellowing. Some of the decals have yellow stencils which might be what you are seeing.

• Profile Photo

Jack the photo of the left wing in close up shows stenciles with yellow data, which is what i think Martin has mistaken for yellowing. When you zoom in on these pics you can really appreciate all the great work you've done on this build. The riveting looks fantastic. do you apply weathering/washes after you fi insh the rivet decals?

• Profile Photo

Excactly, my bad. I just thought for a while they looked a bit odd. My old eyes or my old laptop 🙂

I also agree with Gregor that the rivet decals look fantastic!
    I looked them up on the web, sadly OOP now.

• Profile Photo

I certainly hope they are in production as I have some coming as we speak. Check again. I just checked and they are still listed.

• Profile Photo

Gregor...yes, there will be some additional weathering once the rivets are completed.

• Profile Photo

Good luck with that. I think the finish you have in the pics looks great as it is! I always approach washes with trepidation as i'm feart that i'm potentially messing up what already looks good. Keep us posted Jack 🙂

• Profile Photo

I did. You're right. I will be ordering a set, too.

FWIW, I have also recently obtained a sheet of rivet decals from Czech HGW Models. Much the same principle but the rivets come out protruding from the surface, and they come in large pre-printed sheets designed to fit specific kits such as Eduard's Hellcat. Haven't tried them yet but will definitely do.

http://www.hgwmodels.cz/products/rivets-nyty/

Looking forward to see more of this build!