Building the prize! Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb ( tropical ) 1:48

Started by Bernd Müller · 22 · 7 years ago · Airfix A05125, Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vb, Royal Airforce, Scale 1:48, Spitfire
  • Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years ago:

Hello iModelers, some time ago i won the random Award on iModeler with my Revell RF-4E in 1:72 scale. That brought me this very nice kit in my stash. So thanks to Martin and all other modellers out !

The build has started a while ago but it has become the "hottest" project on my bench on the last weekend, there is a cockpit set from Eduard and their masking set involved.

It builds up very nice so far and the pe parts are a good addition to the already busy cockpit. The only concern will probably be the construction of the wheel struts.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 8 years ago:

Looks good Bernd ! Looking forward to the next post!
    There have been reports of the cockpit tub giving problems with the cowling ahead of the windscreen - but you don't seem to have had any.
    How did you get on?
    Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years ago:

Hi David, thanks for the reply, if you look closer on the pictures you see that the instrument panel has seen a good deal of sanding. With some ( more ) careful trimming you can get a nearly 100% fit.
    So far a good build, more soon !

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years ago:

Why do you foresee a "concern" with the struts, Bernd...?

• Profile Photo
    Vincent Perry said 8 years ago:

Coming along nicely

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Regular modelling time means dusting the projects, after the Eduard Fw 190 is done, i re- started my Spitfire and the camo is now on. The pics are showing the masking process with Blue Tack, it went well only some touch ups are needed.
    More soon.

• Profile Photo

The undercarriage looks very weak, Craig. Photos of this soon.

• Profile Photo

Masks off, some touch ups here and there but the camo is on, the Humbrol colors for the Dark Earth and Middle Stone shades got some drops of white to fade them out.
    Filling and sanding the small seam under the windscreen wasn t too sucessful, some more work has to be done for sure. You can t have everything 🙁

• Profile Photo
    DE4EVER said 7 years, 6 months ago:

🙂 ... Greetings ... 🙂 :
    It is looking good Bernd, the camouflage work is well done.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for stopping and leaving a reply. The camo came out well, it was my first sucess with the Blue Tack method, so more RAF types in the future.
    The Spitfire will get a good layer of Humbrols gloss cote today and soon some decals.

• Profile Photo
    Nikola Pentić said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Very nice. Looking forward to seeing it done.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Bernd, coming along nicely. Whose azure blue are you gonna use?

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the comments, Gents !
    Bernard, i have used the Model Master paint for the RAF Azure Blue, with some drops white in.
    Over the day my Spitfire has received a good coat of Humbrols Gloss varnish, HU 35 !
    For a while i have used floor wax but got back on "real" paint after having trouble with that stuff.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Bernd, I was wondering. I also hear that some RAF aircraft in the Desert might have used light Mediterranian Blue as an alternate, I haven't, but an interesting idea. Myself, I find the various renderings of Azure Blue over the years an interesting conundrum, I always have wondered which is closest. I suspect I'm overthinking it, once again. Got to ditch this anorak...

• Profile Photo

Hello Bernard, MTO based aircraft are indeed an interesting research project. From the few quite blurry pics i have seen from this one, it could be every color.
    May interesting too, the Malta decal option in the kit calls Sky as the underside color.. .