The bottom wing has been painted and the rib tapes oversprayed with a lighter yellow. There are two thin PE strips with turnbuckle anchors at each end, fixed front and rear of the crew nacelle placement area.
A little closer look at the delicate detail here.
When the fuselage is in place the upturns slot in perfectly to the sides of the nacelle.
I mentioned previously that the turnbuckle anchor points are complex sets of PE that have to be bent to show the anchor point holes.
I thought everything had to do with the PE sets, but in fact I’ve had to use 40+ eyelet anchors around the three nacelles.
Here is the bottom wing with the PE sets in place. They won’t be painted until I’ve managed to get the rigging line secure, in case paint fouls the tiny rigging apertures. The sections in blue are the metal panels that sit beneath the engine nacelles. You may have noticed the highlighted areas, or shadows along the surface. I used a little graphite powder, rubbed on lightly with my finger, to pick out fabric contours and to accentuate shadows on either side of the rib ‘tapes’.
Here, you just about make out the little eyelet sprigs on one of the engine nacelles.
Here’s the top wing, for comparison. Pretty big! You can clearly see the oversail areas on the hinges.
The three nacelles are now in place on the bottom wing.
Here are four of the eight main struts, painted.
The top wing has been painted, and the national roundels applied. They appear top and bottom of the oversail areas, but not at all on the bottom wing. I still have to apply the PE anchors to the underside of the top wing and compete a little weathering around the hinges.
The top wing is balanced lightly on the cabane struts here, without glue, just to get an idea of the overall size. After the above-mentioned work is complete, I’ll set the struts and the top wing.
Here is the top wing completed. You can see that I’ve added a little weak Lamp Black to the bolts and also a little rust, for effect.
I’m taking a chance on not completing any rigging runs before setting the top wing, but there is so much rigging everywhere, I was concerned that I’d end up working over myself with the tail areas if the forward areas were rigged first.
Time will tell if I’m an i***t, or not.