CORKTIP

Started by David Hansen · 8 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Now that i have my Tomcat finished for John Lawler, i'm making my tentative steps into the next project: Paul Fisher's 32nd scale RF-8G conversion for the Trumpeter kit. One of my pilot buddies, Doug Simpson flew RF-8s during the tail end of the Vietnam War, and continued to fly them in the postwar years right up to their retirement with the Reserve squadrons at Andrews.

I haven't finalized the paint scheme just yet, but there's a good chance it will be from VFP-206/-306 of VFP-63.

The Fisher Conversion kit is very complete, and addresses all the items that need to be undertaken for the conversion with the inclusion of very detailed instructions. The first step for me was to clean up the fit of the major parts and then thoroughly clean them prior to any paint work.

The conversion makes use of some rather large castings which had a little bit of distortion. One key feature of this conversion is the incorporation of an integrated nose/intake duct which doubles as a mount for some of the rear cameras. The installation of the integrated nose into the forward fuselage, along with some aggressive use of tape to hold everything together, muscles the major shapes into alignment.

I'd say that this is the most accurately-shaped RF-8 conversion i've seen so far. The plane is very different in profile and cross section from the main wheel well forward, and Paul has done a better job of capturing the shape of the Crusader front end than Trumpeter has.

Since these photos were taken, i've gone to work on the cockpit tub and the camera installation. Watch this space.

-d-

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Looks as if this will be yet another great job from your bench, sir...and I WILL watch this space. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Yes Sir, I am right there with Craig and will be watching too.

If this one turns out any where near as nice as "Gypsy 203" has, then you will have a show stopper on your hands... which is what I'm sure will happen.

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 5 years, 9 months ago:

And now, an update.

Not particularly dramatic, but very important. The camera windows have been installed.

Up next: cameras.

Watch this space.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Great choice for a build! Will be following the progress David!

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Hi kids,

Just when you thought i'd consigned this project to the Shelf of Doom...PROGRESS!

Here are the finished cameras. I was working on rather vague information, but some detail from Ben Schumacher and Doug Simpson allowed me to come up with something that looks at least plausible, if not entirely accurate. The main objective here (camera pun not intended), was just to provide a representation of a camera visible behind the windows. If the stations were opened up, then i'd really go nuts with adding additional detail.
    The cameras looked very bland and clinical with nothing on them, so i stole some aircraft bureau numbers and placards from my bottomless scrap decal stash. I also slopped on some of the Future/Water/ Tamiya Flat Black Wash that is all the rage with the young kids these days.

As of this writing, i have about 2/3rds of the cameras mounted and ready for installation. The cockpit tub is painted and weathered, so there's very little in the way of gluing up the whole front section , when i get home.

Thanks for shopping!

-d-

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Looking good! Are you going to have some camera bays open to see all the work you did on those lovely cameras?

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 5 years, 7 months ago:

i considered it for about 5 seconds; doing so would open a big can of worms. This is a pretty ambitious conversion for me and i wanna keep things simple. Possibly some additional surface detail, maybe an extended boarding stirrup; we'll see.