Eduard Focke Wulf Fw 190A-8 1:48 ( oob all closed )

Started by Bernd Müller · 18 · 7 years ago · 1/48, Eduard, Focke Wulf Fw 190A-8, JG 5, Luftwaffe
  • Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Hello, it seems i have a production line for Eduards 190. Here some pictures during the construction. Its a Weekend Kit and will have markings for the JG 5 aircraft, based in Norway from the ProfiPack kit, released some years ago.

Eduard is offering open weapon hatches on the cowling and wing roots, while the details are nice, i don t like open hatches. It disturb the clean lines of this fine design.

It takes some work to get them properly closed. But with some care, trimming and some sanding its no problem.

At first i assemble sub assemblies, cockpit tub, engine, firewall, wheel bay and the gun hatches were added to the upper wings. If everything is lines up, it will fit very well.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Coming along just fine, Bernd...I know you'll make it look good - (as usual).

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Nice start, Bernd! I have one waiting for me in the stash and I haven't decided about the open panels yet. I am in favor of clean lines, but I might just put it opened up on a diorama...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Looks Great Bernd ! The 190 has been one of my favorite Luftwaffe planes. You're doing a fantastic job. I'll be following this one...

• Profile Photo

Thank you for commenting mates 🙂 Appreciated !

Craig: I hope i won t disappoint you in the end :). The basic camo is on, i will post pix soon.

Sebastijan, if i would build a 190 open i would go for a resin engine and open all panels to show this beautiful radial engine. You can also left the hatch for the cowl guns closed and left the wing root gun bays open, It shows some more details but don t kill the lines of the aircraft.

Loius: Its my fourth Eduard 190, the first one was build just after the kit came out, This kit beat me completely during the construction but the next ones were better. All in all i think its the best offering in 1:48, thanks to the good details, great surfaces and the colored PE set in the Profi Pack kits

• Profile Photo
    Kent Strickland said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Looking good Bernd,

They are a nice kit to build and personally I find them challenging but such a good result if you take your time.

Regards,

• Profile Photo

Thanks for looking, Kent. True ! They need more time and work and the kits have some flaws but when everthing is lined up its a fun build.
    The best kits for a "closed" Fw 190 in 1:48 are probably the Hasegawa kits from the A-8 until A-9.
    But in the Eduard boxes you have more for the money.
    Basicly the camo is sprayed on, more soon. Today the light conditions are very bad. Typical November weather in this part of the world.

• Profile Photo
    Gábor Szabó said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Hi Bernd! I think this is a rare case when a kit more challenging to built with closed panels than open up 🙂 Looks good so far.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Bernd, first class work on the engine and the airframe! Those open panels are great if you want to see the innards, otherwise... I'm not complaining, mind. Compared to what I started out building, this is museum stuff. Anyone remember the Aurora FW?

That engine looks good enough to me, never thought I'd see such intricacy in a mainline kit.

How do you rate the DML, Hasegawa, and Tamiyas, in comparison? Each has its advantages, IMHO. I think the early Hasegawa (A-3, 4) might be DMLs, but I haven't checked that.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the replies mates, appreciated 🙂

Gabor, true ! Thats not too easy on this one but it gets better with every new one.
    After the release of the first one, i was busy to buy all the releases from Eduard, always wondering if i get them done at some time, now i am through with most of them.
    Open designed hatches means often that you have a deeper and broader panel line to cope with, so you can have much work on other kits as well.
    It will be interesting to see how the similar designed Zvezda La-5 compares with the Eduard 190.

Bernard : i have never build the Aurora and never finished the Monogram 190 but i have build the Hasegawa A-3. The kit is o.K, typically Hasegawa but i was not too impressed with it. The landing gear covers are split, this can be handy on eastern front fighter bombers but not for a french based bird.
    The A-5 from Hasegawa is unbuild but looks very nice in the box, the parts look better in this kit trhan on the early A-3/4. Should be an improvement. No splitted gear covers that goes for all later Hasegawa variants. Well made and good fitting kits. Hasegawa quality, sadly quite expensive here. Its often said that these are Dragon kits may similar designed but looks like new tools for me.
    The Tamiya kits are as most of their WWII fighter range quite simple builds, good fit, good surfaces. The landing gears struts and/or the wheels are too short / small.
    The wheel wells are too flat. The F-8 and the A-3 are nice kits and the later A-8/A-8/R2 are good builds, on the A-8 you can choose between the standart fighter and "Sturmjäger". That means you have the additional armor as a self adhesive sticker and you can opt between the different gun bulges under the wing and ejection chutes.
    Still good build, you can invest some work and resin to improve them or you have a quick build and soon someting new in the display.

The Dragon 190 are the Trimaster molds and they nailed the form of the 190 in those days, good details but in some areas a very poor fit but nothing some filling and sanding can t cure. The wheel wells are wrong in the D versions, they have no cut out for the engines.
    MDC has the right medicine:
    http://www.modeldesignconstruction.co.uk/mall/ModelDesignConstruction/customerimages/products/l_CV48043.jpg
    I will test this set when it comes to my Drogon ( Italeri ) D-9, looks quite good.

• Profile Photo

Some progress:
    The basic paint work is done, it needs the fuselage band and the whilte cowl ring for the JG 5 and lots of "fine tuning" like a better mottling, color demarcations and some fading but you get the idea.
    Photographed between the typical mess on my bench 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years ago:

Four months !?! Time is flying isn t it ?
    Decals are now on, nearly there.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years ago:

...nearly there...

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 7 years ago:

Beautiful Bernd. Was the blue spiral a decal or did you paint

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

WOW ! This FW is amazing...

The mottling camouflage came out very good ... I like the scheme you chose too. The spiralschnauz is like icing on the cake...