Farewell comfort zone…Revell 1/32 P 38 'Droop Snoot'

Started by david leigh-smith · 44 · 6 years ago · 1/32, old kits., WW2
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 7 years ago:

A spitfire interlude.

Easter Friday proved to be a little better than 'good'. Sat with number 3 son in the cockpit of a beautiful spitfire mark 16 (the personal aircraft of Air Marshal Sir William Elliot) at the RAF museum at Hendon, London. Followed by a lovely curry and a small glass of Scotland's best...

Back to the P38 tomorrow.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years ago:

I wish I could sit in a Spitfire cockpit. They'd probably have to pry me out of it. Sounds like a good day, all around.

• Profile Photo

So, my ballast for the P38 nose arrived in the post (my wife, "darling, why are you buying small bore ammunition for a sling shot?" - well, she knows I don't like the cats). The model takes a lot of encouragement (and lead) to be a nose sitter!

Amazingly the dihedral is good, the undercarriage has a really nice 'sit' (after lots of superglue, some choice Anglo Saxon curses, and a little patience) and this is starting to look like a lightning. The way that this model has gone together is a real challenge in that I've had to mix methods and strategies; normally I like to make complete sub assemblies and fit them together but the amount of manipulation that's gone into this demands a different approach. I'm having to essentially wring and shape an authentic looking P38 out of this and then hopefully finesse a good looking end product when the overall form is good. Getting there...

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

It's an odd thing this hobby...

“It was as if the working of his head had stripped the main screw that held his life together. The screw wouldn’t go in or come out; it just turned without biting on anything, always in the same hole, and he couldn’t stop it turning.” (War and Peace).

Sometimes a kit just gets in your head. I find myself talking to a friend and some kind of sub-programme in my brain is thinking, 'could I use the foil from a wine bottle to simulate flashing around the nose of the lighting?' As the quote above illustrates, it's a fine line between passion and obsession.

Anyway, navigator access attached, a blending coat of Alclad white aluminium sprayed, and canopy masked and painted.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

So, now have some invasion stripes on the lightning, and a little bit of weathering. It's really starting to look like I hoped it could. My thoughts are that (with such little colour schemes available for a droop snoot) I'll make a 'fantasy' bird circa June '44.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Like a lot of people, I'm a real s****r for an invasion stripe. It's not only that they look great, it's what they represent in terms of courage, liberatIon, unity, and just doing the right thing in the face of overwhelming odds.

So next up will be some matt cote, weathering and a pair of spinners. Oh, and if anyone has a set of 1/32 stars and bars decals (I have the decals by kagero - P38 lightning at war - but no stars) I'd gratefully put them to great use!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years ago:

nice looking 38!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Greg. I really like the Lightning, it has such a beautiful shape and a great history through the entire war, in every theatre. I remember making a 1/72 P38 when I was about 11 years old, hanging it by cotton thread from the ceiling attacking an Me 262. Those two planes were the last things I saw at night for about two years. Well, those and the enormous poster of Debbie Harry from Blondie. But that's another story...

• Profile Photo

David, help a city boy out. What is that ballast? Shot or fishing sinkers? I got nuthin'. I am such a city slicker.

• Profile Photo

Hi, Bernard. Always happy to help out a city boy. The ballast for the engine nacelles is lead shot, specifically made for slingshots. Or what we limeys call a catapult.

Happy trails, city slicker.

• Profile Photo

So it's Friday again. Back from work and managed to paint the spinners - small victories. But it's progress and when you're modeling momentum is everything. And beer...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 7 years ago:

David,
    Beer is your friend! But beware ...
    I am SOOO envious that you were able to sit in a real Spit! Like my friend Bernie, I'm sure they would have to pry me out. At gunpoint. (As if my bulk would fit in a Spitfire!)
    Your P-38 Droop Snoot looks great! I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Lightning. (Not to mention a few other fabulous "Twins" of that era: the F7F, Beaufighter, & Mossie.)

You mentioned squeezing 5 in a Sherman. You're right, but many don't realize how small the inside of some of the modern tanks are. When I played tankity-tank we had 4 in an M1A1 (Heavy) tank. Not much room at all, considering the outside dimensions. Also, I have personally been one of 14 in the turret of an M60A1! Louis Gardner will appreciate that! 14 in an M60 is a lot like putting 10 or 14 in a Mini or a phonebooth! It's hard to do. Why do it? It started pouring rain & the M60 was close! I'll leave the rest of the story for another time & place! LoL Great memories!

Back to YOUR awesome P38. You've done a great job & I applaud you!

Cheers!

• Profile Photo

Hey Jeffry,

14 in an M60...unbelievable.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, David! They look like they might prove useful to hold down some aircrafts nose.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Wanted to have a bit of a run at this and sign off on it this weekend; but as often the universe had other plans. However, managed to get the spinners on and start some weathering. Next up is a coat of varnish and some washes.