Finemolds, 1:48 Scale A5M4, "Kansen", (Claude)

Started by Frederick J Seitz III · 21 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 1 month ago:

This model is a really fine kit, and although difficult to find, is worth the effort to acquire.
    The markings I am using for this model, are those of IJN Shoho at Coral Sea, in May, 1942.
    Back to the kit. Fit is spot on. Not a lot of putty needed, and the detail in the cockpit looks awesome. All major components line up well, without a lot of mumbo jumbo to get it all straight...OR a ton of fillers and putties to fix mistakes. I am liking the way this baby is turning out so far, and I would again recommend it highly, especially if your into the Japanese subjects. She's a beauty folks!
    After the cockpit was together, which took a couple days with all the fiddly bits, the kit just flew together. The wheel spats are not glued on, and are just there for posterity. I have few more little spots to fill, and she also will be ready for the paint shop.

And now, it's back down to the "Laboratory" for some more sanding fun...NOT!
    Enjoy all!

Regards,
    Freddie from LI

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Very nice looking innards. Always liked the lines of this kite. On the lookout for one myself.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Wingsy makes a really pretty A5M2, that is more readily available than this fine molds kit, if that'll help your search

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Never have done (or even seen) a "Finemolds" kit, but yours sure looks good so far.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 7 years, 1 month ago:

That is looking really fantastic . Awesome job on the office !

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Craig, rare as unicorn excrement, usually. The only one I have was acquired on the second hand market, though they make other Japanese planes I really want.

Freddie, nice cockpit work, and the rest of the assembly so far looks really good. I saw that "Wingsy" (really?) has one also, I'll see which one is more readily available. I'll have to get with my "source", who is a Japanese enthusiast, to boot.

I've wanted one of these since seeing a photo in a book about Saburo Sakai. He flew one during the "China Incident".

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 7 years, 1 month ago:

I only have a couple of Star Wars kits from FineMolds, but it looks like the quality of those kits is very representative of everything they do! (My Millennium Falcon is even packaged so nice and pretty I almost don't want to start it!) Speaking of pretty, I have to agree with Craig, the Claude is a looker!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Isn't she just! Anything 30s with them wheel pants! That is some cockpit! You can avoid the aftermarket, for a change. Lovely brushwork, first rate! Hope the folks can see it, once she's closed up.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years ago:

Bernard: Wingsy makes a beautiful A5M2 "Claude", and they are poised to release an A5M4 also. Another tidbit from them, they are releasing a Ki-51, "Sonja" very soon. (At least it's posted on their website as soon) Theirs is a really nice kit, and seems to be more detailed than this Fine Molds offering. Both are really great and you couldn't go wrong no matter which way you went. I find the detail of the wingsy kit better in the inside, while the exterior detail of the Fine Molds is freaking awesome

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years ago:

Freddie, I'd just be happy if Falcon came up with a vacuformed canopy for the Nichimo kit. A nice set called "Obscure Japanese Aircraft Whose Canopies are Bad". I was just having droll fun with the name myself. I suspect I will issue a retraction, once I fondle the plastic. Wonder if they'd do a Mary, or an Ann? Nice Ida?

• Profile Photo

Hello Folks!

Not quite done with this build, but I am very close. Only things left are the pastel chalk for weathering, and the antenna wire.

This kit was a great model to build, and I absolutely recommend it to anyone interested in Japanese aircraft. Fit is great, detail fantastic, even the kit's decals are pretty darn good.

I hope you enjoy the pics, the marking are for an A5M4, assigned to IJN Shoho, for Operation MO, the invasion of Port Moresby, in May, 1942.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Freddie, that really looks good! Quite a nice interior- do you see much of it once it's together? The surface detail is really nice. What did you paint the exterior with?

• Profile Photo

Bernard, you actually DO see a lot of the cockpit, in spite of how small the opening is. I painted the model, using Testors Model Master Enamels, and the color is SAC Tan. (I unfortunately forget the FS number, as I am here at work)

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

This Claude really turned out very nice. I have two of these Fine Mold kits in my stash and two more of the older Classic Airframes kits too. After looking at how nice these are once completed, the Fine Molds kits are probably going to move up higher on the "to build soon" pile.

Looks like you used the same color that I did on my Koga Zero over in the Midway Group build. The FS number for the SAC Bomber Tan is FS 34201.

Hope this helps you Bernard.

• Profile Photo

Freddie, thanks! SAC Bomber Tan. I'll give that a try on the IJN builds in future.
    Louis, thanks for the FSN number for it.
    I always wanted one of these.