Fokker Eindecker E-III Late, 1:32 by those Wingnuts

Started by Michael Scott · 3 · 11 years ago · Eindecker, Fokker, Wingnut Wings
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Scott said 11 years, 4 months ago:

I'm working on this one presently. It is a review build for the IPMS website, but I think it is o.k. to share a few photos here. For those who don't know, those old rotary engines spit castor oil all over the place, hence the "oil" stains on the fuselage fabric. They are oil stains, actually. Oil paint and thinner over a matte finish. Spreads nicely.

I'm at the rigging stage now and determining what kind of turnbuckles to build and 'wire' to use. Might end up part monofilament and part EZ Line.

And, I have another of these in the stash...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Weckel said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Some things about EZ line:

It looks much better (at least in 1/48 scale) if you take a scalpel and split it lengthwise. Pull it apart like string cheese, reducing the thickness by half.

I used it on two aircraft for radio antennas where one end attaches to a mast. On both, over the course of a few years, it has pulled the mast out of vertical alignment. Going forward, I will probably only use it where tension will either be desired, or not be a factor.

My other long-term concern is in it's possible breakdown. I've found old rubber bands that have crumbled and fallen apart after a few years. Wonder if EZ line will do the same eventually?

B

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Having built this kit, I can tell you that you'll have a much stronger final structure if you use .010 stainless steel wire for the rigging and do not run it through the wings. EZ line is not really good for 1/32 models because they really do need the extra bracing that comes from using wire.

HTH