Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown; a story for the generations. For Bernie.

Started by david leigh-smith · 385 · 5 years ago · 1/48, diorama, Luftwaffe, USAF, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Good to have you back my friend.

I can vouch for shoulder pain... I have had both shoulders severely injured at the same time, requiring surgery on each one (about 6 weeks apart on surgery). It was not fun by any means...

Please take it easy for a while. I went through Physical Therapy "PT", and it made things worse prior to the surgery. I called it Physical Torture. PT made the tears worse. Listen to your body, and have a good doctor.

Looking forward to the next installment. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Well, Louis, here in the old country we have the amazing NHS. Which is just as well because during this week I have suffered the hip injury from falling out of the attic, the shoulder injury making the man-cave, had a serious electric shock disabling a faulty alarm system, and by far the worst of all - catching a cherished and uniquely masculine part of my anatomy in a zipper.

But despite calamity and near neutering, my bench is at a near finish.

Modeling will resume soon (as well as up to date medical reports for those with a strong stomach).

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Very interesting wide-angle shot. Liked the way you used the drawers, shelving, and djudju items to keep the peace.
    You done a very good job with your new workshop come man-cave. Thanks for sharing.

• Profile Photo

The new man cave looks great David ! I particularly like that Albatros ... The built Mosquito is another favorite.

You have done a wonderful job with this... It has all of the cool "Necessary Goodies". Posters, large diving knives, paints etc. It looks to be very organized.

Please my friend, lets try not to use the "amazing NHS" any more than necessary... especially with electric shocks and the "other" misfortunes. OUCH !

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis, it’s definitely taking shape despite my many misfortunes and misadventures this last week or so. At this moment I feel I need a risk assessment before getting out of bed in the morning, let alone giving me sharp instruments and strong glues to play with.

That said, I may actually try doing some work on the bench tomorrow. Ambulance service on speed dial and local hospital has cancelled all staff leave...

• Profile Photo

They say that which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger... Glue fumes and sharp pointy things can be detrimental to your health if your not too careful. It may be a good thing that all leaves were cancelled, and the phone is set at the ready just in case.

I went through a bout of regularly occurring misfortunes several times in the past.

Things will get better, especially with some good old "bench time" my dear Scottish friend... 🙂 Sorry if I drove an iron rail road spike into your chest with a sledge hammer earlier. It wasn't intentional.

Who knows ? We might even have a distant relative from way back when... My grandmother's maiden name was Donaldson, and it's supposed to be of Scottish and Irish origin. There's some Welsh in my veins too. I'm sort of a mutt dog / dog pound / shelter type dog, and not a pure bred retriever of sorts.

But then most of us "Yanks" are mutts ... 🙂

I'm looking forward to your next update buddy.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 8 months ago:

How I envy your bench space David... all set for some good modelling time and get the aerial diorama wrapped up 😉

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 8 months ago:

David, I can't believe I haven't check in here, you blink your eye and time has slipped by. Love the build your working on! Hope you are well, had a physical set back myself recently. One thing I gotta to know, did the Big E survive the move?

• Profile Photo

Robert, it’s been a while. Sorry to hear you have been unwell - hope you are on the mend and fighting fit. And just to answer that question, yep, the big E made it safe to berth...

I’m hoping to get started on another ship this year if I can clear the projects I’m working on.

• Profile Photo

Finally, after several attempts at collecting the 2018 Darwin award, I finally sat down and did some modeling. Got some decals onto the Gustav and went to work on the PropBurs so generously donated by @davidathomas

I had to drill into the prop hub to give the individual blades some purchase. The real job here is to try and get the plane (‘scuse the pun) of the blades into alignment.

But it’s worth it, the end result looks good and I managed to get the prop length about right for a G6.

Of course, the real issue with any simulated ‘in flight’ props is in the painting and getting as far away from ‘gimmick’ as possible. In reality all modeling is illusion of some fashion and as this is a diorama I think the effect will enhance the scene and give it some added dynamism. However, I predict some interesting trial and error sessions to get it the way I want it to look.

Of course, no move of house can go without loss. Try as I may, I cannot find Herr Stigler ANYWHERE. I have tried every box. I have opened all containers that could contain renegade modeling parts, turned the bench upside down, and even given the cats a funny look. No Franz. It’s possibly one of the worst parts of getting to a certain age; the whole, “put it away in a safe place and then can’t remember where” scenario.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Hi David, Glad to see you are starting to settle in and furnish your new lair. Sorry to hear that you have been in the wars.. hope you got one of your sons to lift the big E onto the bench for you - no sense in taking needless risks!
    Take care and keep that crash helmet handy - we are starting to worry!
    Best wishes

• Profile Photo

I tell you David, there are Gremlins, but nobody believes me. 🙂

• Profile Photo

I agree with Peter about Gremlins... one still has yet to bring back my prop for the 1/48 Tamiya F4F that went AWOL a little over a year ago... 🙁

I started laughing when I heard you mention the Darwin Award. The picture says it all. You missed your true calling my friend, and should consider stand up comedy as a source of extra income when you eventually decide to retire.

Sorry to hear about Franz. Maybe those Gremlins grabbed him too, since they need a pilot for their mix and match "Flight of the Phoenix" plane that they are assembling from our missing parts.

That is a good idea from David Mills, to have your sons move the "Big E". Like Robert, I have been wondering how she fared during the move... and please tell "Lou the Dolphin" I said hello. 🙂

It's great to see you back at the bench, and the prop is looking good ! Franz would be proud. (wherever he is) Hope you find him soon.

Lastly, "Yellow 2" looks fantastic ! It's really starting to "pop"... the mottling and the decals really make a huge difference, and sort of make it whole. Well done !

I'm looking forward to your next installment.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the kind words, @davem.

• Profile Photo

That was funny, Louis @lgardner, about the Gremlin's Pheonix. I wonder where they're trying to get back to. The scene is a kind of diorama I won't mind making.