Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown; a story for the generations. For Bernie.

Started by david leigh-smith · 385 · 5 years ago · 1/48, diorama, Luftwaffe, USAF, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 8 months ago:

So, on to the Gustav that will eventually become Stigler's G-6. The box tells you all you need to know...

I'm trying a new policy of having two builds from different theatres on the go at any one time. This is a welcome relief from the 'serious' work on the Merit CV6 Enterprise which seems to have more sprues than the rest of my stash combined.

Three sprues - that's it.

There are some lovely touches on this kit (which cost about 20 bucks - or pounds; the way our currency is going there're about equal these days, anyway). The photo etch pedals are lovely.

Easy to build with a little patience, and everything fits terrifically. The cockpit is a gem.

It also includes what HAS to win a prize as the smallest photo etch part this side of the great abyss. I believe it's the emergency gear release...

It also has a lovely little instrument panel in etch that builds up over three layers.

Oh, and this my modeling room floor, where I have spent much of the morning on my hands and knees.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 8 months ago:

David - coming along superbly! I like that spinning prop look as well - since mine are all built wheels-up, I may attempt that at some point (saves me doing a lot of blade-chipping...).

I have 3 projects going on my bench now. Sometimes it's just to have something to do while parts are drying, etc., but sometimes it's because I just can't wait to get the next one going!

• Profile Photo

Absolutely agree on having multiple builds; I've been finding that it definitely keeps the interest and mojo going. I've started on the props and hoping they'll look as good as those that Alexandre showed on this post.
    I think 'wheels up' is undervalued (by me, anyway) and I'm looking forward to trying to get a real 'dynamic' feel in the build with a little energy.
    Thanks for your your kind words, Greg.

• Profile Photo

My pilot just arrived and I can now get Herr Stigler into his office. These figures are exquisitely detailed and a joy to work with.

• Profile Photo

So this is Franz. Needed a little surgery and is scheduled for some more. Had to fashion a left arm from part milliput and part kit in order to get him signaling to the B-17.

Unfortunately his feet had to go, also. When I was doing this, I found myself apologising ('this is going to hurt me more than it will you' - which is true considering how much he cost...) - on hearing this my wife said, "are you talking to your little guys?" - "of course not" I said, " I only speak to them if they start a conversation".

Still searching for the B-17 crew. If anyone has the old monogram kit crew in their stash, I'd happily swap a kit from the collection in return!

• Profile Photo
    ALEXANDRE REZENDE said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Hi David!
    How about ordering your figures by the 3D printing service of the staff of this link ...
    http://reedoak.com/#!/WW2-USA/c/13281235/offset=0&sort=normal
    They accept orders of any scale and the service is perfect!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Alexandre, this is brilliant; exactly what I've been needing. What a service, the figures look amazing.
    Thank you!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 7 months ago:

I believe those are the MOST realistic plastic figures I've ever seen!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Almost expect them to start moving; amazing poses that are so natural.

• Profile Photo
    Lee Fogel said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Outstanding work on this! I love the story and treasure the book. It's quite something to read. I too wanted to replicate this in 1/48 scale but at the time KitWorld only offered the 1/72 sheet for the markings. I'm still trying to track down a B-17F at a reasonable price before I can start on mine. I really appreciate your attention to detail and keep up the fabulous work!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Lee. It's a great story is it's own right but the book is full of fascinating sub plots, such as the Luftwaffe pilots' struggles against the Nazi party. I have my hands full at work at the moment so this build is parked on the bench and the any modeling is confined the working on the Enterprise.
    Thanks for the kind words, and I really hope to see your own work on this inspiring piece of history!

• Profile Photo

Just another quick point, Lee. I also sourced my decals from Kits World, only ones available in 1/48. If it seals the deal for you, they are great quality, nice and thin, detailed with lovely colour.

• Profile Photo
    Lee Fogel said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Thank you David! I did source the 1/72 scale set so I have them. Just need to get a B-17F at a price within my budget. Did you get the crew figured out?

• Profile Photo

Hi, Lee. Yes, I have some crew (5) that are an odd mixture and I'll have to use some creative positioning and Dr Frankenstein-like surgery skills to cobble together a realistic scenario. Everything is now good to go with diorama (also got some nice clear styrene rods for stands) and I'm hoping to pick the build up again soon.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 6 years ago:

David, thanks for letting me know about this project. It looks to be very rewarding in both skills applied and the end results. I look forward to progress updates. Cheers.