Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown; a story for the generations. For Bernie.

Started by david leigh-smith · 385 · 5 years ago · 1/48, diorama, Luftwaffe, USAF, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

David, was the B-17 overall polished natural metal or in OD green ? Could you tell from your vantage point ?
    My friends that restore planes here locally, were scheduled to start restoration on the "Evergreen" museum B-17 last year, when the first hurricane blew through here. To be safe, they flew the plane away from the projected path of the storm. I haven't seen it back here since then. Hopefully soon it will reappear. It has to be one of the most complete B-17's I have seen to date...

Here's a few photos ... I don't know who this guy is. He happens to show up in some of my pictures that I have other people take.

There's something about a shiny B-17...

They look great from any angle...

Looking forward to your next installment David LS !

It was very nice of you to add Bernie's name to this one...

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

She is beautiful, Louis. Overall olive drab for my Fort, I'm afraid, and a bit tatty at that. A real Cinderella before the ball job. I think that's possibly the thing that got to Franz, that anyone surviving on a plane taking that much punishment had been through enough.

Sometimes it must take more courage and strength not to pull the trigger.

• Profile Photo

@davidathomas hoping you add to the usual eclectic and often eccentric mix on these build threads, just wouldn't be the same without you. Besides, as Bernie recently showed us we don't know how late into the game we are. Make hay while the sun shines.

Godspeed, David

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks, David. The B-17 has a special place in my heart. Don't know if I shared before but one Easter morning I found (next to my basket of chocolate eggs) a Monogram 1:48 B-17G. I had the paint already (olive drab and neutral grey underside, rattle cans), and I marathoned it and built the entire thing in a day. Of course it was a piece of c**p, but for me I was so proud of it. There's something about the nose and cockpit configuration of the B-17 that is just beautiful--the lines, angles, proportions. It's an amazing bird, punctuated by that childhood memory. I've been inside one (SoCal--near Palm Springs, I think), and as Louis says, it is unbelievably cramped.

Perhaps someday I'll get around to one. (A Tamiya Lanc is also a bucket list item.) For now, I'll enjoy it vicariously through you.

The story itself is one of those that call to us: ad hoc truce and compassion--even (or better, particularlyto the point of defying orders--in the midst of war. The WW1 story of the Christmas Truce (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce), the story of the Angel of Marye's Heights, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Rowland_Kirkland) from the American Civil War, even Paul Barber's musings about Rommel (which are nothing less than existential), as well as others that lurk in my subconscious but I fail to summon at the moment--these things bring tears to the eyes because they give us hope. The world is a horrific place, and war is less an anomaly that the erupting rash of a fever that runs in humanities blood all the time. But in the midst of that bloody conflict, we have what are the exceptions to the infection that prove the rule: human beings displaying imago Dei at the very moment they should close in for the kill. It's the spark of the divine, not showing that "people are really not so bad after all," but that in spite of human evil, the image is not yet fully distorted, and God can still have a hand.

• Profile Photo

A very powerful post, David. And all the more poignant for being, I fear, true. If hope is our saviour as a race, at least we have shown ourselves to be capable of it. The examples you give are remarkable in their context to the gestalt, their light to our shadow.

I have, as well as some existential optimism, some modeling to show. Not much admittedly, but some. I've come to realise how difficult it is to make a broken thing. Perhaps there's a theme in there carrying on from David's previous post.

I've been trying to build a ruined empennage, specifically replicating the damaged rudder, and starting to add some details to the very sparse interior.

In the last photo you get the general idea; I'll cover it in some fabric to reproduce the ripped doped fabric.

Good to get going on this one again.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 10 months ago:

David, "building a broken thing" is indeed the problem. order we can handle, even if we always fall short. But the organic nature of chaos is much more difficult. I can remember my art mentor constantly telling us that looking at real subjects (whether trees, mountains, the human form, whatever) was essential so that we did not end up painting generic and cliche trees, hills, and people. I think borrowing from you photo record is essential there.

Oh, and one more existential thing: I've been fascinated by the story of Richard Kirkland, the "Angel of Marye's Heights" for many years. I did not know until now how he died at the age of 20. He was killed charging Snodgrass Hill in the Battle of Chickamauga. That Union defense was what saved the North from suffering a complete rout, and was commanded by none other than my own cousin--General George H. Thomas--a defense that earned him the title "Rock of Chickamauga." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Henry_Thomas) The crazy thing is that Thomas, like the rest of my Thomas relatives, were all Southerners. Thomas was a Virginian who stuck with the North. So in great irony, Kirkland saved/ministered to Northern men at Fredricksburg, but was ultimately killed fighting the troops of a Union-loyal Southern man.

Hope has its challenges, my friend...

• Profile Photo

Sunday brought some time at a rather tidy (@uscusn @tom-bebout) bench...

Did some basic priming, base layer of aluminium, and a wash on the engines.

And here's Charlie Brown...

Nope, not that one...this one...

Also made some scratch ammo belts for the 50's. Amazingly, I discovered that B-17s took off with around 1.3 tons of 50 calibre shells aboard.

Stuck some decks in the waist and started to build some detail on the ball turret area.

I also started work on the ravaged rudder which should look really nice painted. It feels like this project is gaining some traction; looks a little sparse and in need of TLC at this stage, but with some more detail, blending, and the paint on I think this'll work.

Tonight's reward...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 10 months ago:

How you accomplish just nice work in all that clutter is truly a miracle. My work space is a little more refined and may I add highly organized.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

'Road Crew' pale ale? Motorhead? Amidst Gestalt and existentialism this is an unexpected twist. I suppose it is a Bomber...

(Shallow quips are all I can manage at the moment, a bit knackered after football (soccer) practice with my errant under-16s - but I do appreciate the philosophical interludes, cheers!).

• Profile Photo

Tom, are you TRYING to give me a heart attack? I have to restrain myself from organising my paints in alphabetical order. The desk as you see it is me experimenting with being messy. I need to lie down...

• Profile Photo

Motorhead. Surely the only band in history to have a Heinkel He 111 on their album cover...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Hi David,

from one freak to another: your tidy workbench moves me to go do some work on mine, very good! 😀

I have one ol’ Revell He-111 in stash, now I have an idea what to do with it: Motorhead Special! You wouldn’t know what colors they used for the album cover, would you (in alphabetic order of course)?

Oh’ yes, you are wrecking that Fortress mightily fine. I cannot wait to see it in its final state! I never had the fitting physiological aptitude in the lower register to do such distressing to my model. Respect where it’s deserved!

Cheers,
    Aleks

• Profile Photo

@yellow10 - You have to love where these threads take you, Paul. Embrace the madness, it's the only way. Great photo.

• Profile Photo

Aleks, I'm having a great time destroying this Fortress, it's really creative and therapeutic. Can't wait to finish the building and get to the painting stage.

In terms of the Motorhead He111, this is a quote from the actual artist...

“I worked in airbrush in black and white, which I would then tint,” he adds. “That’s why my work always looked very doomy. To get the lighting right, I got a little Airfix kit of a Heinkel 111, made it up and sprayed it black.” He then took photos to get the reflection underneath. “When you work realistically, you’ve got to have a realistic reference.”