Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown; a story for the generations. For Bernie.

Started by david leigh-smith · 385 · 5 years ago · 1/48, diorama, Luftwaffe, USAF, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

David that has to be one of the best album covers ever !

The He-111 is sinister looking as is the Ju-87.

Up until I saw this posting I thought Iron Maiden had it wrapped up with Eddie flying a Spitfire !

I'm definitely looking forward to the next installment ...as the model is looking fantastic.

Paul, that's a great photo of the group in front of the real deal ...

Well done gents, and I hope you enjoyed your Road crew brew ...

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Louis, I completely forgot about the Eddie 'Aces High' cover. Your knowledge for esoterica knows no bounds. Boy, these threads cover some strange ground. Over on your side of the pond, surely you have seen this one...

• Profile Photo

And here's the back sleeve showing they actually wrote a song called 'ME 262'

If anyone is wondering, the song is complete tosh. However, it does cite B17's in the lyrics, so at least there's a connection to the build thread.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Hello Louis - I'm certainly no Heavy Metal aficionado, but here are some brief highlights of Bruce Dickinson's aviation career. Flying your group around in a Jumbo is pretty left-field for a rocker! He has also joined in with the WW1 display team over a rock festival, and flew 'Vera' the Lanc. I'm sure he must have made it up in a Spit at some point...

David, I'll tell you who has 'embraced the madness' - whichever member of Blue Oyster Cult wrote 'Cagey Cretins' - there's lunacy in most of those song titles - I'll be visiting spotify later in hope of verifying Me 262 as 'tosh'!

• Profile Photo

Surely a song that references 'Jumo 004' engines has to be insane/obsessive/drug induced (or all three) in origin. Anyway, here's the lyric for Blue Oyster Cult's 1974 classic, 'ME 262'. Happy reading and God rest your soul if you make it to the end...

Göring's on the phone from Freiburg
    Says "Willie's done quite a job"
    Hitler's on the phone from Berlin
    Says "I'm gonna make you a star"

My Captain Von Ondine is your next patrol
    A flight of English bombers across the canal
    After twelve they'll all be here
    I think you know the job

They hung there dependent from the sky
    Like some heavy metal fruit
    These bombers are ripe and ready to tilt
    Must these Englishmen live that I might die
    Must they live that I might die

In a G-load disaster from the rate of climb
    Sometimes I'd faint and be lost to our side
    But there's no reward for failure - but death
    So watch me in mirrors keep in the glidepath

Get me through these radars, no, I cannot fail
    While my great silver slugs are eager to feed
    I can't fail, no, not now
    When twenty five bombers wait ripe

They hung there dependant from the sky

ME-262 prince of turbojet
    Junkers Jumo 004
    Blasts from clustered R4M quartets in my snout
    And see these English planes go burn

Well, you be my witness, how red were the skies
    When the fortresses flew for the very last time
    It was dark over Westphalia
    In April of '45

They hung there dependant from the sky
    Junkers Jumo 004 bombers at 12 o'clock high

• Profile Photo

He's obviously done his homework!

Does this mean that 'Don't Fear the Reaper' was a prophetic paean to drone technology?

• Profile Photo

Now this is very cool !

I knew that Bruce Dickinson flew the jet airliner, but didn't know about his other flying exploits... so thanks Paul for sharing these wonderful photos with us...

"Don't Fear the Reaper" is my favorite song that B.O.C. performed... next up would be "Godzilla".

However with today's technology, I would fear the Reaper... "Here but now they're gone" is one of the lines in the song, and how true this is in todays world.

A push of a button remotely from many thousands of miles away and "it's all over"... sort of like the "Unknown Soldier" by the Doors with Jim Morrison.

As far as knowing about the Me-262 song, here's something else new that I learned today...
    After reading the lyrics, it makes one think...

Thanks David for posting the Album covers, front and back... definitely cool...

Now what about
    "Led Zeppelin" ?

Their first album had the Hindenburg on it ...

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Loving where this is going! (at least the build - nor sure about the rabbit trails yet...)

• Profile Photo

Greg, you can't have steak every night, sometimes rabbit has to do. Or so the wife tells me. Back on the game trail, this evening I swapped over from the Fort to Franz's Gustav. The Eduard kit is a lovely little build and although progress seems a little slow, I think over the weekend the project will take a huge leap.

Stuck in the wheel wells and closed up the wings.

Greg, I'm going to shamelessly rip off your patented 'in flight' stands for this build. If you have any tips please feel free to post any advice.

• Profile Photo

I'm happy to see you are back on the trail. I'll do my best not to divert you into a new rabbit hole, but I can't make any promises.

This latest installment looks great. The 109 will be a beautiful and menacing looking plane once completed.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your next update my friend, and will be anxiously awaiting the weekend updates for sure.

• Profile Photo

Just a quick post to give a little more background on Franz Stigler.

Below is the Gustav he was flying in the 'Higher Call' incident

And this is Franz' s ME 262 (white 3) which was his main aircraft while flying as a pilot in Galland's experten unit JV44

Below is the 109 Franz flew while part of the JG 27 group in North Africa.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a collection of builds based on one pilot before, but it's a nice thought for a future project. In fact, some time ago at a model show I saw this unique way of displaying model aircraft...

I am now thinking this'd be a great way of displaying the evolution of a specific pilot through the different aircraft and marks they flew. This would be particularly cool for the pilots who continued flying after the war into the jet age. Certainly more bang for your buck being able to stretch one model into two different aircraft with perhaps minimal modification and a different camo design. I sense my next project. Possibly 'Bubi' Hartmann as I've been wanting to build a F 86 Sabre for some time.

An interview with Herr Stigler;

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/articles/pilots/stigler/stigler.htm

This is a photo of Franz taken with Charlie Brown in 2008. Beautiful story.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Funnily enough David, I have collected Galland’s mounts from Condor Legion He 51 through BoB and other Bf109s to a 262 (and Goering was usually on the phone to borrow from BOC!). I have even sourced the glider type he learned in as a youngster. It’s a project I will take on at some time - although perhaps not soon. I am still trying to work out all he flew. There are hints he went up in a parrot 190 but as yet, far from substantiated! I bet others have small sections of their stash dedicated to specific flyers.

• Profile Photo

Taking on Dolfo would be a hell of a project, Paul, and would be amazing capturing the early gliders right through to the Gloster Meteors (Argentina) and beyond. I understand he was flying actively well into his 70's so research and choosing what to showcase would be a task.

The more I think of this the more excited I get. First stop will be looking at different aces and their extended careers and correlating that with a list of my 'bucket list' builds.

Of course, this'll all be after the other 300 odd projects I've been excited about...I'd say life is too short but if we lived forever I'm not sure we'd get much fun from this hobby. Or anything for that matter. Rabbit Trail alert, Greg!

• Profile Photo

Exactly right David - it is a very slow burner and will need to be selective. By the time the research is done I'll probably be unable to hold the sprue cutters! I just read through that interview with Stigler - not much he hasn't flown. Amazing insight into anything and everything. There is nothing quite like hearing from the men who flew those iconic planes. I know there is the book, but he seemed reticent to talk about his heroic act, yet at relative ease when speaking of shooting down and killing allied airmen. Quite an interesting twist.

• Profile Photo

Paul, there's several interesting twists and turns that provide context to this story. In JG 27 Stigler was under the command of Gustav Rodel, who told him, "You are fighter pilots first, last, always. If I ever hear of any of you shooting at someone in a parachute, I'll shoot you myself." Stigler says that when her saw the crew of 'Ye Olde Pub' it was this memory that came to him "it was as if they were in parachutes - I could not shoot them down".

Stigler stopped counting his 'kills' later in the war, and stopped having victory marks painted on his rudder, mainly because of the practice he'd seen of other officers openly lying about their exploits to gather medals in JG 27. However, he took pride in his flying and shooting down aircraft.

I think there is something of a complex interplay of pride, guilt, atonement, and regret in this story. In particular, I can see how Franz Stigler echoes a lot of German aces (be they fliers or tankers, or sailors) where they gloried in battles of a war they did not believe in.