Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown; a story for the generations. For Bernie.

Started by david leigh-smith · 385 · 5 years ago · 1/48, diorama, Luftwaffe, USAF, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Excellent progress and very interesting thread David! Following with interest!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 5 years, 10 months ago:

David this is a WINNER! I like what you have done with the rear compartment. It looks realistic and that is what it's all about, to convey the atmosphere of war and to get your model as close to the real thing and drag it out of the realm of a toy like plastic model. The awesome part is when you mate a realistically detailed model with a realistic paint job, then you know you have a winner! Well done!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks for your thoughts, Paul. In combat we see man laid bare; the animal instinct versus the part of us that is trying to evolve. Some pilots would aim for their foe's cockpit while others saw it as the machine they were fighting against. Some shot parachutists (as we've discussed) and some (like Richard Kirkland, as David Thomas highlighted - or indeed Franz Stigler) find their true humanity in the most desperate of times.

I deeply appreciate your support. As I've jotted before, it's a solitary hobby and connection is important. Two other things; your Storch/Rommel dio remains etched in my head as a seminal piece of work - the other is that I love your user name @yellow10.

• Profile Photo

Hi Morne. your encouragement is gratefully received. When it comes to scratchbuilding my new thought is "what would Morne do?" - as I've mentioned it's a thought that's really raising my game and a classic 'iModeler moment'. My hope is to get more precise as time goes on, be a little more careful, and learn some more patience; there's a gulf between what i see in my head and what I'm building.

I agree with the 'toylike' sentiment and also think the painting goes a long way to getting a kit away from that element. I like to think I can spot the 'usual suspects' work on iModeler by their artwork - it's like a signature and along with photography (something I make no bones about being rubbish at) it defines the 'author' of a project.

Thanks again, Morne.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Scratch building is an art I still have to master. To me it is useful to enhance details but the true scratch builders are those that can create the whole plane from pieces of plastic like my friend Marc Barris who is a true master at this craft. It takes a lot of patience. The key is not to rush it and have good reference material at hand. The Beaufighter is one of those builds where I want to challenge myself. Another one on the bench is the Kittyhawk F 94 C Starfire. I am busy scratchbuilding the upper missile and avionics bay and will display the nose in an open position. Keep at it David practice makes perfect.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

David, as my Dunkirk reading goes on for the RAF100 GB, taking in incredible bravery through accounts of patrols and dogfighting, it seems that an irrational calmness in the face of death was maintained by many as a protection mechanism - a code actually. Until of course the moment came where only desperate panic, resignation or prayer could remain as options. The mental health implications and impact for the planet's population after those two world wars, are something I have never been 'brave' enough to look into, but think about fairly often. The Stigler story and interviews always seemed to talk to that tenacity to do right that lives in the human spirit, despite all else any given situation suggests. Stigler could easily have finished them off when the gunner took aim in desperation. I think that those who held onto that spirit or code must have been among the least 'damaged' in the end. I know there is a lot of 'chemistry' in anxiety, panic and depression - those men in that plane must have been overwhelmed.

The 'yellow 10' handle, is something of a joke with myself (it is indeed a solitary business sometimes this hobby). I see my 'modelling journey' as a very long lead in to a golden month or so, wherein I shut out all other influences in my life to peak with 'the perfect build' of yellow 10, and then head off into the sunset to take up macrame weaving or the like!

• Profile Photo

I am in a privileged position of having worked alongside many veterans of several conflicts. What I have consistently found is that it's very rare that any two stories are similar. Each Individual deals with trauma in a unique way that is dependent on their genetic make up, life experiences, and mindset/personality.

I myself survived a near fatal accident and experienced that "irrational calmness" from the moment I realised I was going to get very, very hurt. The brain has excellent protective mechanisms, including 'dissociation' where the the mind can detach from the reality of a situation in terms of consequences while still allowing the person to function. It's the brain's way of sparing the emotional sufferings of extreme trauma.

Unfortunately this mechanism doesn't always activate (due to some of the factors indicated above) and can leave a person open to the full terror, horrific emotional impact, and intellectual knowledge of the consequences, of trauma experiences. In this case, the ongoing suffering can be devastating. I know we have several vets on the site here, they'll know exactly what I'm talking about. The good news is that treatment is very effective and there's no statutes of limitations on this. Because trauma lives in the brain 'frozen in time' its never too late to get help.

This is a heavy discussion for a Thursday morning.

Anyway, Paul, I hope the Macrame set never sees the light of day, and you achieve several of those perfect models in many, many golden months to come.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks for sharing your deeper understanding and personal experience David, I knew you’d have some insight. And yes it is heavy indeed but hugely interesting. Tom C spoke about how he liked the seriousness of the modeller community here and in general. And although we float between humour, philosophy, technicality and debate it’s good to consider this tough stuff once in a while as we build plastic versions of these beautiful but trauma-inducing machines!

Thanks for the kind thoughts on the golden years by the way, I secretly hope to plateau at a respectable 7 out of 10 if possible and never to face that sunset. I’d miss the characters on here too much!

• Profile Photo

I think the reasons why most of us modelers build war machines despite being 'good' people is a complex and profound issue. If people out there are anything like me, there's love of the stories, the beauty and brutality of the machines, the characters, the heroism, the history, tragedy, fascination with the struggle between good evil (on an internal, personal level as well as the tribal), politics, personal connections to subjects, and the challenges and joys of making something from a lump of plastic.

The iModeler community embraces all of this without limits but with respect, which for me, makes it unique.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

This is a very deep conversation... Just yesterday I was talking with my fellow tanker buddy Jeff about how I was trapped inside a burning tank once... but not for long. Somehow I managed to slide my way out going through an area that was next to impossible under normal circumstances. Years later I became a Fire Fighter, almost in a manner to deal with "conquering the beast".

I became so comfortable at it, that I actually fell asleep inside the burn building which was used for training purposes. It was a training exercise on how to conserve breathing air. They were teaching us different ways to relax yourself so as not to breathe as rapidly, thereby depleting your air bottle too quickly. I had been working a 48 hour shift and was exhausted, so nature took it's course. You can't see a darned thing in a fire anyway. It's pitch black not what you see on TV. So I closed my eyes, and promptly fell asleep... They woke me up about 20 minutes later and I still had air left in my tank when everyone else was empty...

Keeping a cool head and your thoughts straight while not panicking is the secret.

During this profession (and others) I have had numerous close calls, had a roof collapse on me while being inside a burning building, partially fell through a floor (also in a burning building), been shot at, I was involved in an nasty automobile accident, I've been sliced across my back with a razor ( and didn't get a scratch since my vest took the brunt of it) , and somehow through the grace of God I am still here... I can relate to these postings you guys mentioned above.

If we are counting cats, (since we all know they have 9 lives, 🙂 ), I would probably be on cat number 4 now.

The way I see it, I'm still here for a reason... Maybe the "Big Guy" upstairs wants me to get more of the stash built... or a new Airfix kit is coming out that he wants me to see first.

Luck has a good deal to do with it too. When your time is up, it's up. You can't stop it.
    Just keep your faith and be ready when that time comes.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

I was looking through the pictures I took of the B-17's and found a few that you might find useful during your build.

Here you go, and I hope they help ... 🙂

Ball turret.

main landing gear: Here you can see the brakes.

Leading edge air intakes.

Turbo charger under the engine nacelles. These are the same ones that were used by the P-38, only they are mounted upside down here.

and the tail wheel assembly.

On the top turret on this later "G" model, the frames are metal as seen in this photo. On the B-24 and B-25 they had clear frames on the upper turret.

Inside the nose, here's the Norden Bomb sight.

and a close up of it...

I don't know how detailed you want to go with this build, but I sincerely hope these pictures may be of use to you during your build.

I'll be looking forward to your next installment, and I hope that I didn't derail your build talking about my four cats...

• Profile Photo

Louis, your 'life number 4' post reminded me of this...

You are one 'gato suerte' amigo.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner you are a legend, Louis, these photos are gold dust. Thanks!

• Profile Photo

Postman just brought me a present...

To the bench...

• Profile Photo

Managed to get a first pass on the camo of the G6; after pretty intense (lying in a hammock in the sun) research I went with the soft version of the WNF factory colors which seem to best match Stigler's Gustav. Lots of blending and mottling to do next. The Vallejo colors turned out fine, beautiful set of paints and spray really well.