Hasegawa 1/48 Nakajima Ki-27 ”Nate” two builds in one……………..

Started by Louis Gardner · 38 · 6 years ago · 1/48, Hasegawa, IJAAF, Ki-27, Nakajima, Nate
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Hey, Jeffry,
    I believe the yellow leading edge was introduced in 1941 by RAF command so that pilots could recognise friend or foe in their mirror. At the same time they painted the spinners on hurricanes and spitfires, etc. light blue for the same reason.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Yes as David stated it is an IFF (Identification Friend / Foe) feature. If you also notice on the RAF planes, the yellow is on the leading edge of the outer wing panels. The Japanese had it on the leading edge of the inner wing panels. I believe the Japanese started using this feature in 1943.

The US Army 5th Air Force and I think Australian, / British Allies (in the SW Pacific) used a solid white leading edge and solid white tail surfaces on some fighters, like the P-39, P-40 and P-47's.

These fighters didn't have de - icer's on the wings. That feature was found on larger planes of the time like the B-17 and B-24's.

I Hope this helps to answer your question my friend... it was a great question. Thanks buddy.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Today I was fortunate to get some time working at the hobby table...

So I masked off the leading edge IFF markings, wing and fuselage "Bandages" on one of the "Nate's" then proceeded to mask off the twin tail stripes on the other.

Then I sprayed these areas with Tamiya White, (which was also used as a base for the yellow paint which was to follow).

Then I sprayed the yellow on the tail stripes of one "Nate", and the IFF markings on the leading edge of the wing on the other...

once unmasked, this is how the tail stripes turned out on the "77th Sentai" plane:

followed by the other which has the wing and fuselage "Bandages" and IFF wing markings. This one still has some red color areas that need to be masked off prior to spraying.

The final step for the day was to spray on several light coats of Future to prepare for the kit decals.

If you look really close, you can see where the pesky little oil coolers have now been broken off the front of the engine again... I highly recommend leaving these bits off until the very end if you are building one of these... They are very fragile and when I removed the masking tape, I accidentally removed the oil cooler as well...

It should be an easy fix (again), but this time I'm waiting until just before I glue the cowling on for good.

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

This project was stalled for various reasons.

However today resumed where I previously left off, because I had to spray some red on some other planes on the work bench. This led to a very long masking session...

I used the kit decals to make a masking template for the landing gear wheel spats. During the masking process I managed to break one of the assemblies off the wing... Oooooooops

But then I realized this was a blessing in disguise. I was having a rough time of it masking the landing gear when they were glued in position. The task was much easier after removed.

So I said a little prayer and presto... I broke the other side off too !

In the long run this even made it so much easier with the masking of the fuselage.

First I sprayed on some white to act as a good base for the red.

Since I was planning on spraying the walkway on the top of the wing, I decided to mask off the area on both kits. Here's the second Nate after masking the walk area.

Once I started spraying the red for several other planes on the work bench, I took care of the Nate too... Cowling, wheel spats and fuselage side stripes were all sprayed insignia red. This way I know they will all match.

Once I changed colors in the air brush to flat black, I sprayed the walkways on both planes.

Here's how both "Nate's" look at the moment:

Hopefully the painting was a success. The main obstacle could be bleed through under the tape.

Time will tell once the masking is removed. I'm going to leave these little guys sit overnight... then I'll know if the mission was successful or not once everything has dried, and the tape is removed.

Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

I'll let this next picture describe how the side stripes and wheel spats turned out.

The white paint bled under the tape. The red did too in a spot along the fuselage just behind the cowling. It looks like the vents behind the cowling allows paint to seep under the tape.

So I gave the instructions a closer look and it turned out I had originally masked the area incorrectly.
    Following the fiasco I sanded down the stripes with 2000 grit paper and touched up along the edge with some Japanese Army Gray.
    This time I am using 3M automotive grade painting tape that I have used on full sized car restorations. It has a nice sharp edge and I hope that it is better this second time around.

I'm getting ready to spray some red ...

I'll let you know how it works.

• Profile Photo

The red turned out decent. I can work with this.

Looks like using the automotive tape and spraying on multiple light coats was the ticket...
    Here it is just after I finished spraying on the flat red...

Once I realized the red had dried much faster than I expected, I couldn't stand it... I had to remove the masking on the wheel spats to see how they looked. I figured this would be a decent indicator of things to come...

and it was ! I am pretty happy right now... a little touch up in a few places and I have to spray on another layer of Japanese Army Gray on the wheel spats to complete the pattern.

One step closer... A coat or two of gloss should really make this one pop.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Lot of effort (and tape) but it's paying off!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg !

Tonight I masked off and sprayed the wing walk area in flat black again, since it was messed up a little bit with over spray.

Here's the first one ready for paint:

Both are ready to spray here in this photo below.

How they look right after spraying on the flat black

Finally how the turned out after the masking was removed.

They're starting to look like I can start the final assembly and decaling soon...

As usual, comments are encouraged.

12 days to Christmas...

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Nice looking Nates! You have quite the assembly line going, what with the Hellcats, etc.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 4 months ago:

David & Louis, thanks for the explanation(s)! (Yellow on leading edges of wings)

These are coming along VERY nicely! The red stripe is gorgeous. I'm totally green with envy at your skills. Masking autos sure seems to have been great practice, Louis!

11 days 'til Christmas!

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents for the kind words... The assembly line is going at full production speed now... The Hellcats have been taking a lot of my masking time in preparation for paint.

Jeff, I'm glad we were able to properly answer your question about the yellow leading edge paint. Masking full size autos does help some 😉

Earlier today I prepped the propellers for installation. The instructions would have you glue an ill fitting plastic stop cap over the end of the prop shaft. I wanted to do things a little different...

So I used a Tamiya "poly cap" in place. It worked out great... and the prop spins very easily now. Even the slightest breeze will turn the prop.

I gave the red cowling two light coats of clear to see how it would affect the look of the red, especially since it has a flat finish. Here's the cowling after I snapped it into place. This one is ready for some more clear coats and then the decaling can begin.

Friction is holding the cowl on the fuselage in the picture shown below:

Here's the other "Nate" after it received the same prop treatment with the poly cap, and the cowling was also pushed in position to take the photo. It still needs two white narrow stripes painted on the rear of the fuselage. Then this one should be ready for decals.

I did a little on line detective work on building these kits before I started them. I blatantly stole this idea from another online builder. It's a very easy way to make sure the seams are perfect on the wheel pants, and allows for easy wheel painting at the same time...

To begin with, use a razor saw and cut a "V" shaped notch into the wheel... Yes it sounds scary, but trust me it works...

Don't use a set of sprue cutters or snips to do this... If you do the wheel will snap into two parts... Ask me how I found this out...

When you are done removing the "V" section of plastic, the wheel should look like this:

Then simply put a small drop of glue on the wheel center, and position it into the wheel pant assembly. Rotate it around until you are happy with the portion of the wheel that is exposed.

This is how it will look if done properly...

Getting closer...

Here's how the Ki-27's look right now...

Comments are encouraged.

10 days to Christmas...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Looking fantastic Louis, I think we'll have to call you the 'master of masking' from this point on: you should really buy shares in a tape company! I don't think I have seen too many of these built and you are nailing 2! Thanks for all the insight!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul for the compliments...

I haven't been able to get much work bench time in over the last few days. We have been visiting my step son who is in the hospital. He had to have an emergency partial amputation due to his diabetes... He is getting better, but has a long recovery ahead of him. I have been posting replies to various articles using my good old cell phone from the hospital.

But we are back home for a while now...and I managed to get a little done on the "Nate" earlier today.

Started off by masking the two stripes on the rear of the fuselage. Next I used some frisket tape to make the stylized "77" unit markings on the fin and rudder. I was able to find actual photos of this plane and used them to make a set of home made stencils for the "77"

Next I sprayed on the white. The fuselage stripes are done here, and the white was used as a base for the blue which was applied later.

The blue was sprayed on the rudder and fin next...

Then the masking was removed...

Here's how the second Nate looks right now.

A coat or two of clear and both Ki-27's are ready for some decals...

Merry Christmas everyone. 6 days to Christmas...

Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Coming along nicely, and I have to add some dittos to your masking/painting skills! Some colorful birds you have evolving there!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks Greg and I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas.

Late last night I applied the decals on one of the Nate's.

This morning I applied the Hinomarus on the wing of the second one.

Here's how they look now.

Then I spent a little time fitting the canopy onto the fuselage. Once I was happy with this I gave both canopies a dip in the "Future" acrylic. Hopefully this will increase the clarity of the clear plastic as they are not very transparent. Time will tell. I didn't want to take the time to polish these parts beforehand.

Now they're drying ...

Hopefully soon I can wrap these little guys up and get them posted...

As usual comments are encouraged...

4 days left until Christmas.