Hasegawa 1/48 Nakajima Ki-27 ”Nate” two builds in one……………..

Started by Louis Gardner · 38 · 6 years ago · 1/48, Hasegawa, IJAAF, Ki-27, Nakajima, Nate
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Tonight I was able to get a lot of little bits taken care of.

I installed the telescopic gun sight. Just as stated by our fellow Imodeler, John Clark , the picture of the part in the instructions and how Hasegawa would have you install this part is backwards.

The front of the sight had a small pointed cover on it that was pivoted up and away from the front lens by the pilot when needed. There was a thin metal rod that had a 90 degree end on it that was attached to the front conical sight cover. The rod ran lengthwise along the side of the scope. When the pilot wanted to open the sight he merely had to flip the 90 degree part far enough to see through the lens.

So here's a close picture of the proper way it should be done.

I painted the area under the canopy with Gunship Gray after the pilot's head rest was installed.

Then I tried something new, at least for me. I gave the 77th Sentai plane a thin wash with black oil paint. I wanted to do something that would help to add a little character to the monotony of the solid IJA Green color.

The clear canopy is just temporary and has not been glued in place yet.

Here's how it turned out.

The other Ki-27 received the same treatment but no oil wash was applied. Again in this photo, the canopy has just been sat on the fuselage.

A little more detail painting and some flat clear to reduce the shine some on the exterior, and these two should be wrapped up with.

Take care and Merry Christmas to all.

2 more days to Christmas.

As usual comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Looking excellent Louis - colours are popping and the oil wash has worked out perfectly - there is a lot of detail for it to sit in. Did you do much scribing? It looks that way.

I like the early photos of the 2 together a lot!

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Very nice, Louis. Terrific work on a lovely little kit!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Great progress Louis, I find the oil wash inspiring at it highlights the rivets on the machine. I have an F-105 in the stash I want to try this on. Congrats.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Fantastic, Louis!

It's Christmas Eve, so get ready for Santa!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul !

I am very pleased with how the oil wash turned out. As far as the scribing goes, no I didn't do hardly any at all on these two. What you see is what the kit had as surface details. The only areas that I did re scribe are the places along the glue seams where just a little detail was lost due to a tiny bit of sanding or scraping with a razor blade was done to tidy it up.

Thanks Freddie ! Your Midway GB A6M is a little jewel too. I like how it turned out... I am very surprised at how nice and simple this kit was to build. The fit was very good as well. Too bad more of them don't get built. These would have been done a while ago had I not painted on most of the places that were provided as kit decals.

Michel I have really enjoyed watching your builds. They are always fantastic. Try the oil wash, but I must warn everyone that after the oil wash was done, I did not try to coat it with any sort of clear afterwards. I honestly don't know how the clear would react with an oil base. This should probably be tried out on a scrap part first before committing this to a regular build. Thanks for the compliments.

Ah my old Army tanker buddy... How are you doing Jeff ? Merry Christmas to you too brother... Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully Santa is good to me and I don't get a lump of coal...

• Profile Photo

Well... Merry Christmas everyone !

By the time I get done typing, Christmas will be here...at least where we live.

Tonight I was able to pretty much finish these two up... A little more needs to be done, but not much.

First off, I started out by masking off the canopies using bare metal foil in most places. This stuff works great as a masking, but you must use a new razor blade to trim off the excess or it will rip...

Here are the canopies after masking, just prior to the first color spray...

which happened to be "Gunship Gray" as seen below. This will give the appearance of masking off the inside of the canopy, even when you don't.

After I cleaned the air brush, and changed over to Tamiya XF-14, IJA Grey, the Gunship Gray had dried. So I gave the canopies a coat of IJA Grey. It ended up looking like this...as seen below in the next photo.

Then I was off and running to complete the cowling / engine assemblies. I applied some Bare Metal Foil "Ultra Bright Chrome" on the front of one in the top right of this picture below. The propellers had the tips painted next. Red on the chrome, and yellow on the brown... The cowls are ready for installation now...

By now, the paint had dried on the canopies... So I carefully removed the tape. They looked like this at this point of assembly.

Remember how I mentioned the insides would look Gray since it was sprayed on first ? Here's the results I was looking for. Since the kit parts are not all that clear, (and I didn't want to try and tape off the insides) I took the easy way out...

I can live with this.

Various other little bits, such as the pitot tubes, and exhaust pipes were glued on...

Here's how my little "Nate's" look at the moment... Once I string an antennae wire on the one, add some exhaust staining, and these little guys should be ready for a new article here on Imodeler. Maybe tomorrow...

Enjoy, and thanks for following along.

Merry Christmas my friends, and I pray that our New Year is Happy, Healthy and Prosperous... It wouldn't hurt if we could all get in some more bench time building our kits...

As usual, signing off with... you guessed it.

Comments are encouraged.

Take care.

• Profile Photo

These little guys are done... I'll be posting a few new articles about them in a few days or so. Here's how they turned out...

Thanks for following along, and have a Merry Christmas.