Hurricane Mk.IIC nostalgia build – SMER 1/72

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 64 · 9 years ago · 1/72, Hurricane, smer
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Thank you guys! Today's update:

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Really nice neat work on that wheel bay Dmitry. Good progress.

• Profile Photo

Filled, sanded, added small parts - main wheel bay is done (I suppose ;). It should be pre-painted before assembly.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Very nicely done Dmitry. I look forward to you next update.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Gregor!

I've started work on interior. As I wrote before, kit includes photo-etched instrumental panel which is good, and all other details needs to be scratch-built, even pilot's seat, which is too thick and not accurate. Also I've filled defects on landing gear doors.

• Profile Photo

Again, really great work especially in this scale. Are you going to model the canopy open? My new tool Airfix Hurricane 1 had a lot of nice internal detail that dissapeared after the cockit hood was added. Keep the updates coming Dmitry 🙂

• Profile Photo

Fortunately, canopy is given as two details, so I will make it opened. Also I think what to do with cockpit door (starboard side) - maybe to make it opened too? I've searched through the photos and saw them opened only a few times.

• Profile Photo

Dmitry, cockpit doors on the Hurricane may have been opened for maintinance purposes but were nort generally used for the pilot to get in to the aircraft as they were on the Spitfire for example. Strangely enough it was on the opposite side of the fuselage to most of the other British fighter types too!

• Profile Photo

Got it, thank you for the info Gregor! Will leave it closed.

• Profile Photo

Finished with carcass inside of the cockpit. Next step is to add small details (pedals, wires, switches, etc.). Scribed cockpit door from inside too. And also I should think about how to paint it (in which order I mean).

• Profile Photo

Some great detail added there Dmitry. Keep the updates coming.

• Profile Photo

Pedals, floor elements and some wires inside of the cockpit.

• Profile Photo

More fine work Dmitry. I look forward to the next post.

• Profile Photo

I've added last small parts to cockpit (photo is not so good as it should). Also I've decided to add some aftermarket parts - etched pilot's seat by Yahu Models looks really good.

Now it's ready for painting, but there is a question - on some (museum) photos all interior is painted in standard Duck Egg Green, but on others frame elements not painted at all and have a natural aluminum color. Which is right?

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 2 months ago:

In answer to your query Dmitry, both are correct. Go with the one that suites you best. After all, once you close up the fuselage you will not be ableto see much of that cockpit anyway.