Let’s get on with it.
You may have heard me and others saying this before, but anyway: pre-printed cockpit photo-etch just doesn’t work as one can neither get the colours right nor the sheen of the surface. To me this always looks kind of strange and in the case of Eduard’s Interior Set for the Su-33, even worth, it looks lavender.
In the picture below you see the instrument panel painted with Mr. Paint’s excellent depiction the Sukhoi Works” cockpit colour, the side panels still being from Barbie’s car.
I consequently went for the kit’s well moulded plastic parts here, however, as it doesn’t contain any solution for the instruments, I had to use Eduard’s offering. Trying to over paint it with the brush didn’t lead me anywhere, but:
after two or three times messing up the brush paint job, I realised that cleaning the thing with Revell Paint Remover doesn’t resolve the pre print. In order to save the beautifully printed black instrument frames from being over-sprayed I used Tamyia Cotton Buds and the above said Revell product to clean up only the areas of the pre print I wanted to keep.
I really like this discovery.
The rest of the build of the cockpit went straight forward, though I have to say that gluing on the glazing with the frame painted in cockpit blue before, was quite a challenge.
7 attached images. Click to enlarge.