Kinetic 1/48 Sukhoi Su-33 Flanker

Started by Johannes Gerl · 64 · 6 years ago · 1/48, Flanker, Kinetic, mostrubbishinstructionseverprinted, Su-33, Sukhoi
  • Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I re-read my post and I meant to say that colors on the real aircraft are all over the place.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Good luck with the decals/stencils! On my Mig-31, I lost count after about 50 hours, but then again I may be real slow...!

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 6 years, 10 months ago:

You hit the nail to the head, Greg. This is a flying manual.
    The dacals included in the kit only cover the most important markings but the quality is outstanding. I went for a full stencilling using the Begemot add-on sheet and as usual they are extremely thin (almost a bit too thin to bring the bigger ones on without a hassle) and finely printed.
    It seems that fifty hours and more are always required for the decaling process of a Russian fighter.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I also used the Begemot sheet for the Mig-31, and liked it so much I bought a couple more - one for my Yak-38 and I think I got a set for my Mig-25 as well. They are delicate, but as you said, nicely printed!

I'm looking forward to seeing this done!

• Profile Photo

I'm excited to read this, Greg. My next two projects: Yak-28 from Bobcat and MIG-25 from Kitty Hawk. It's going to be fun to push this together ...

• Profile Photo

Things are moving slowly, but there is some progress in whethering finally. My reference shows little wear of colours, little discolouration, almost no chipped paint anywhere. It's just covered with a bit of dirt and dust here and there, meaning that significant importance is attached to washes.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Grega X said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Looks awesome!

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Johannes, I was not here for a while and I expected I find this bird finished 🙂
    I hope everything goes well, because it looks amazing so far!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Looking fabulous! Only "weathering" I can see in photos is some sun-mottling on the upper surfaces. I usually try to replicate this with some artist oils and mineral spirits. Sometimes it works better than others, and occasionally the final dull coat completely hides it...!

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 6 years, 7 months ago:

@naviatik: Thanks, Martin. Basically all is well with the Su. I have paused the project as I can't force myself to take a decision which clear coat to use.
    I'd like to have her more on the glossy side of matte, but on the other hand I want all decal films to disappear and (@gkittinger) all weathering effects to survive.
    I'm calling that my clear coat blues as this indecisiveness happens to me practically every time that a project comes close to finalization. So while I was waiting for some brainwave I started the Ducati project as part of the Year of the Cat group build.

In parallel to building the Duc, I've used one of the Su's tail fins to trigger a decision regarding a clear coat. It's painted with semi matte and I think I like it.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 6 months ago:

What brand of semi-matt did you use, or did you create your own mixture? I usually use flat (matt) due to scale (1/72), but for awhile tried using Testor semi-gloss so the detail would pop out more. However, I found the semi-gloss to be not a lot different than gloss, so stopped. The sheen you achieved on that Su fin looks perfect!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Beautiful! Your photos & narrative are outstanding.

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 6 years, 6 months ago:

I think I would go with this semi-gloss. To me all the new camo looks more matt than glossy, no matter if they are NATO or Russian or whatever else.
    Pure matt finish looks strange on this camo scheme, however.

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Very true, Martin. I used semi-gloss on mine with very realistic results.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 6 months ago:

I love this build. The artwork is fantastic and the technical skills are brilliant. Can you tell me about the jig that the Su sits on? Did you make that yourself? Can you show some photos of it - I'd really like to make one of my own.