Monogram Hawker Typhoon-A Little Side Project.

Started by Seamus Boughe · 38 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 7 years, 2 months ago:

With my Revell 1/32 Hawker Hurricane being complete and the diorama I want to set it in still in progress, I needed a little side project to keep myself busy as paint dried or glue set on my BoB Group Build project. I purchased this Monogram Hawker Typhoon, with all the accessories pictured, off of E-Bay for a mere $20.00. I figured I could do some justice to this classic kit. I started with the fuselage and cockpit, doing a little surgery to remove the molded on shrouded exhausts and the radiator door. The "Tiffie" I am building had unshrouded exhausts and the molded on radiator door just looked like c**p. Using the kit's raised panel lines as a guide, I scribed new panel lines using a sewing needle and an Olfa P-cutter. The zsus fasteners were done with a Swiss beading tool. The whole process took about an hour. The KMC detail set comes with a full resin cockpit, however I only used the sidewalls and floor as I was not too jazzed about the pilot's armor, seat and instrument panel. Those parts I scratch built. The KMC set also came with a gunsite, yet there is no mention of it in the instructions, nor is there a mounting bracket for it. Checking my references, I scratched a reasonable looking gunsite mounting bracket and added the whole thing to the cockpit. Cockpit was painted using my ever dwindling supply of Floquil Military Enamels. Little details were picked out with oils and colored pencils. The cockpit is not 100% accurate, but it looks the part and I am happy with how things are turning out so far. Now I have to address the Tempest tail planes, the radiator, and radiator housing. Stay tuned...

28 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Hey buddy, top 'o' the mornin' to ya !, it's been ages, this is looking great can't wait to see it finished, I always thought this family of aircraft was a perfect blend of style and aggression.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Sadly these kits are often over looked.

They really build up nicely though and are easy on the wallet. Your build looks fantastic. The cockpit looks very convincing.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 2 months ago:

You got the kit AND all those goodies included for $20.00...!? The word "bargain" doesn't seem adequate...! Those "old" Monogram kits are a 'bargain' in themselves. What a steal!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Seamus, good to see you again.
    The Monogram Typhoon has always been a good basis for upgrade. Been around a while, and still holds its own in 48th, particularly if you don't want to break the bank.
    Thanks for showing us what can be done with using your skills and a mix of that and aftermarket.
    Back aways, if you wanted a car door Tiffie, you had to do more hacking.
    Looking forward to what you can do with her.

• Profile Photo

The Monogram Hawker Typhoon is one of their better vintage kits in 1/48. For a time, it was even boxed by Hasegawa. Definitely a bargain for all I got for $20.00. Funny, it was a seven day auction, and I was the only person who bid.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 2 months ago:

And did you know beforehand it included all that aftermarket stuff...?

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 7 years, 2 months ago:

I am currently reading Schiffers book on Monogram models, they really did do their best to get things right, and it shows in kits like this. Great job so far! Monogram is still my favorite brand by far.

• Profile Photo

Kit was advertised on E-bay with all the extras, that's why I went for it. Good kit with upgrades plus a little room for scratch-building. Having a blast with it.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

That's what it's all about. Having fun. Sounds like you got a great deal on it. Please keep us updated.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Okay, it has been a while since I last posted on my Typhoon. As previously stated, I started this kit as a little side project to keep myself busy while I waited to finish my Hawker Hurricane project. As said project neared the finish line, I shelved the Typhoon and it remained shelved long after the Hurricane was complete. That is because after finishing the Hurricane project I was burnt out and lost my modeling mojo. This happens all the time, so I indulged in other things (flight simulation, bicycling, cat-napping, whiskey sipping, etc) until my mojo returned. Well, I am back in the game and am about to embark on another in depth project, but before I do, I figured I would finish this Typhoon off to dust off my modeling joints. First thing I did was to attach the KMC resin Tempest tail planes. Big mistake as the fit was absolutely atrocious! I have used many KMC products in the past (cockpits, wings, wheels, and other detail parts) and they were always an effortless drop in fit. I don't know what happened this time, but KMC really screwed the pooch with these tail planes. If I ever build this kit again, I am going to stick with the kit supplied tail planes. Next came the wheel bays and the usual debate, should I knock myself out over something that won't be seen once it is finished and glued to a base or should I just let it go. Well, as is grossly apparent, detailed wheel bays won out. What the hell, I am always looking to sharpen my scratch-building skills anyhow. Lastly came the radiator. Typhoons have that gigantic chin scoop which gives the aircraft a really aggressive look. I wanted to capture that look so, more scratch-building, filling, sanding, contouring, and shaping. I really love the end result. Far better than going with the kit item. A few more little tid-bits and my typhoon will be ready for paint. Have not decided on a paint scheme yet but something with full invasion stripes is a definite.

20 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Very nice scratch work, particularly the wheel bays. Getting a shelf queen back to life always gives me a sense of happiness a bit different from completing a “normal” project

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Looks great, Seamus. I love building the old Monogram and Revell kits. Thanks to Revell and others re-releasing a lot of their old kits, they are available again.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Wow Seamus, looks like the mythical Phoenix bird has been reborn. Nice work on the scratch building looking forward to the end result.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Seamus, you go gurl! 😉 Outstanding work.