Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr-1 Triplane as flown by Werner Voss

Started by Louis Gardner · 65 · 6 years ago · 1/28, Dr1, Fokker, Revell, Triplane, Voss
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Nash said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Louis - Here's the info from Paul Leaman's Triplane book that I used to base the angle of the olive green (he calls it khaki-brown but it looks greener than my idea of khaki-brown) on all the upper surfaces.

All main planes - streaks at approx 10 degrees angle to the chord

Fuselage sides - streaks vertically applied as shown in all the contemporary pics

Aft fuselage decking - streaks approx 45 degrees across centre line

Tailplane - Streaks at approx 20 degrees angle to the chord

All 3 pre-production machines were doped pale blue all over before application with the darker streaks using (I believe) something like a 4" brush which was fully loaded with paint with the bristles separating as the stroke progressed, producing that uneven spread of the darker colour. I was never clear what colour/pattern was applied to the upper surface of the aerofoil section between the u/c legs, but I chose to use streaks straight across its chord. Good luck.

Paul

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks for this information Paul... It will be very helpful when the time comes to brush on the streaks. I'll try my best to follow this, since all I had before was a few original B & W pictures showing the Tri-plane from various angles. Your instructions are far more precise, and much appreciated.

I did some more scratch building in the cockpit:

Here's the Starboard side showing the fabricated seat, seat mounting frame and fabric divider panel that was installed just aft of the pilot seat. I brush painted the wooden floor to represent a wooden colored finish, since the original planes had a wooden floor board...

Here's the same side from another angle: The floor mounted compass shows up nicely here in this photo below.

Then on to the Port side ... I started with this earlier today.

I scratch built the fuel shut off and carburetor controls using various assorted plastic rod and strip stock. These items are seen as white plastic in this picture below.

This is how they looked after a little time with a paint brush...

Then I glued the fuselage halves together. This is how it now looks all assembled together...

A major milestone has been accomplished ! (for me at least)

I'm happy with how the "improved" cockpit looks now. It's far from perfect, but it looks a little more convincing than the provided kit representation.

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

Today I filled in some ejector pin marks that I found on the underside of the ailerons.

I also plugged the holes on the bottom wing where the wing tip skids would go on the standard production machines.

I'm going to try and spray paint a base coat of light blue in a few.

• Profile Photo

Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to spray on the light blue base coat until yesterday. Here's how it turned out.

The light blue I chose to use was Model Master RLM 65 and it shows up the flaws nicely. (Exactly what I wanted.)

Here's a picture of the wings:

Followed by the fuselage which has a little gap behind the cockpit. I have filled it in using Tamiya putty.

The light blue also showed up a few flaws on the underside of the lower wing where I filled the holes in for the wing tip skids that are not used on the F-1 prototypes.

The underside of the ailerons also had some ejector pin marks which needed a little more work.

Once the putty dries I'll sand it down again and see how it turns out.

I'll keep you posted with further updates. I have been very busy with other projects and such, so I haven't had much time at the modeling desk.

Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Nash said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Louis - Always good to take a step back and get back to it with renewed enthusiasm. It's all looking great anyway. I've attached a couple of bits of info I discovered while doing my own Revell 103/17 and a bigger 1/8 scale monster (see "Monster Triplane wit a bit of Tinkering"). You may find these helpful but probably frustrating as well, since some of these end up tiny in 1/28 scale. It depends on your need for detail. I managed to fudge a version of the fuel guage in my Revell build although it's kinda difficult to see located as it is under the fairing immediately in fron of the centresection of the middle wing. You may find these helpful anyway and I look forward to seeing how the build progresses.

Paul

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Louis, lovely work! Paul, thanks for the additional photos. Where else would I see a manufacturers plate and a gas gauge from a Fokker triplane, and a diagram of the seat and seat belt! Simply great stuff! And I see the original kit dates from the year I got out of grade school. I'm old!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Paul Nash wrote,

"All main planes – streaks at approx 10 degrees angle to the chord
    Fuselage sides – streaks vertically applied as shown in all the contemporary pics
    Aft fuselage decking – streaks approx 45 degrees across centre line
    Tailplane – Streaks at approx 20 degrees angle to the chord."

I'm wondering if the streaking angle of the paint has to do with the how they laid down the fabric/ canvas. Some manufactures angled the canvas covering over the wings while others laid the canvas inline with the chord.

If your painting streaks...wouldn't you be a streaker and for accuracy sake...

Being a fly on the wall and wondering why Fokker would have finished the a/c in this way.

Like what your doing Louis with a 60 yr old model. At least the molds are 60yrs old. Cut in steel no doubt.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 8 months ago:

So the streaking will be done just like it was originally! There was at least one decal set recently to give the same effect. I haven't seen it used.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Hello Louis, what a wonderful project is the Fokker you are working on. I have been reading your posts several times now and enjoying your work. It's great to see a older kit is coming to live with all those scratch build items, and the woodwork looks fantastic too.

For us in Holland Fokker was and still is a famous name in aircraft industry, although he made his start in Germany with these and other great planes, back in the '20-s he became a aircraft builder with civil aircraft flown worldwide which lasted until the mid '90 when Airbus Industries ruled all in Europe. The last Fokker 70 airliners with KLM will stop flying in october this year putting an end to a 90 year relationship between KLM and Fokker. In the mean time I will enjoy following your build. Take care.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks for the additional pictures and information Paul... I'll try my best to put this to good use... I'll attempt to install seat belts, but it's going to be kind of hard to do since I have the fuselage buttoned up now.

I appreciate the compliments Bernard. There are days where I feel older than I am... I have seen the streaked "Fokker" decals for sale online, but never in use or in person. The lozenge decals look good too on an Albatros, Pfalz (or later Fokker D-7) when done properly.

Good stuff Stephen ! I'll guess I'll be "Streaking" my "Little Fokker" soon ... 🙂

You bring up some good points about the chord of the fabric and the streak angles... It also could have just been the way the fabric was painted. I know that the Fokker and Albatross factories later sewed the lozenge printed fabrics onto the framework at different diagonal, perpendicular, or parallel lines on the D-7's, depending on what factory built the plane. They even had 3 color (used on some Hansa Brandenberg Naval aircraft), 4 color and 5 color lozenge fabric, as well as different upper and lower colors used... it can get confusing. Fokker and Albatros used 4 and 5 color printed fabrics.

In fact the early D-7's also had the "streaky" green paint just like the Dr-1's had... But as far as why this was done like this I don't know.

Yes Ferry it is sad when a major aircraft producer such as Fokker is no more. Unfortunately it has happened all to often... I appreciate the compliments on my work. Today however I had a bad turn of events with the build... But I'm not giving up ! Please follow along with the next posting and you will see what happened...

• Profile Photo

Well... sooner or later it will happen to all of us.

The project has suffered a set back, but it's not a terminal flaw (so far), thank God.

I wanted to reproduce the seam that was on the underside of the fuselage, where the fabric was laced up.

So out came my Waldron punch set. I cut a thin strip from a sheet of plastic, then marked out a series of small lines in 2 MM increments. Next I began punching out a series of .018 holes into it.

and I ended up with this strip, which I then laced thin fishing line through the holes just as the real Fokker had done originally. It looked OK so far, but I wasn't quite happy with the hole spacing. Some were slightly off.

Next I proceeded to glue this contraption on the underside of the fuselage...

Where the glue and affected plastic oozed out of the little holes that I had punched ! The fishing line looked just "kind of" OK to me now...

but it just might look better under a coat of paint... Right ?

WRONG Answer Private !
    So off the offending strip came... which was followed by copious amounts of block sanding to remove the pitting into the plastic that the liquid glue had made.

I took it down as much as I dared to. The plastic on the underside of the fuselage started getting pretty darned thin...
    and then I heard a "CRACK" noise. (not a good thing to hear when you are holding plastic)

The cracking noise was the upper fuselage rear decking as it split in two !

So out came the glue... and I set the sanding block down...

I don't know what I will do now to replicate the fuselage lacing seam now, but hopefully something will come to mind. Sept 23rd is right around the corner...

So for now the parts are drying (probably done by the time this posting is completed).

I'll end with a positive note:

The wings look pretty good now all in RLM 65... I also assembled the lower landing gear "sub wing"...

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

I made a little more progress today.

The seam is hopefully gone now on the upper fuselage decking. A light coat of paint will show if this spot is ready or not...

Then I turned my attention to the "rounded" tail plane that was present on the three "F" prototypes... In this picture you can see the original plane on the left and my attempt to replicate the rounded tail on the right side of the picture.

So far the test fit of the new tail plane has been good. But I am far from being finished yet... This is just the rough shape and a lot more work will need to be done. It is actually squared of across the rear of the elevator. This picture is misleading.

The I sanded the landing gear "sub wing" that was assembled previously...

I'm calling it a day... progress is progress. If you're not advancing, you're retreating...

Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Nash said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Louis - Been away for a bit so missed some of your latest work. Like the look of the curved tailplane. Looks pretty good to me. I don't think I saw a decent photo which gave a good enough impression of how the curved leading edge looked when I did my own Voss' F1. I think yours will look perfect. Well done! As regard to the way the fuselage covering linen was joined down the centreline of the fuselage underside, all the info I've been able to find points to this being simply stitched to pull the skin tight after it had been fitted to the fuselage framework. There are few pics showing the underside of any triplanes but the available one or two point to there not having been a fabric strip covering the join, simply a clear join line with cross stitching holding it all together.

Cheers - Paul

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Louis, this is a scholarly discussion on the DR-, I've really learned something! Thanks,everyone!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul for the kind words... I am glad that I decided to remove the strip that I originally installed on the underside. It looked horrible and no where near to scale. It was way too big, more suited to a 1/16" or possibly a 1/12" inch Tripe...

I have found a few pictures showing this seam on a later D-7, and it was just as you described.

However, since I lost a lot of building time due to Hurricane "Irma", I have decided to leave the strip off so that I can hopefully make the Sept. 23rd deadline...

Thanks Bernard ! I try to learn something each day. There is a wealth of knowledge here on Imodeler and the members are willing to help each other out as needed.

It's a great place for sure... Take care buddy.