Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr-1 Triplane as flown by Werner Voss

Started by Louis Gardner · 65 · 6 years ago · 1/28, Dr1, Fokker, Revell, Triplane, Voss
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Nash said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Hi louis,

I've been travelling a bit so am pleased to see how much progress you've made on Voss' Tripe. It'll look great when you finally get it together with all the Copper State decals and stuff. I think you've got the stripes about right, although when I did my own model I made the fuselage forward of the cockpit more densely, almost solid colour and the other surfaces overall with a little more of the pale blue showing through. All a matter of interpretation and yours will look the business. Lots of luck with the deadline you've set yourself. Irma can't have helped.

All the best

Paul

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks Paul.

Unfortunately I never made my self imposed 100 year anniversary deadline... Instead life got in the way again. It has a peculiar way of showing up when you least expect it to, and gets in the way of our hobbies at the most inopportune times.

• Profile Photo

But today I did manage some more progress...

I painted the remaining wing cabane struts and glued them into the bottom side of the upper wing.

Painted and installed the cable horns on the control surfaces. Then I installed the control cables that go to the elevator.

Repainted the prop. Next is the lamination painting on it, and the "AXIAL" prop logo decal.

I also removed some of the green streaking on the fuselage rear half. Then I retouched the brush "streaks". It looks more like the real plane now when you compare the model to original era photos of Voss' plane. I took your advice here Paul and I honestly can say it looks much better now. Thank you.

I painted the tail skid and installed it, (but you can't see it in these pictures).

I also installed the bracing wires on the under carriage: I used beading wire for this since it actually looks like a tiny cable since it's braided wire. You can see the cables in this picture below: These will need some more tweaking to get everything just right.

Finally I test fit the upper wing in place to see how much fiddling the upper wing will require. Hopefully not too much more to go...

Calling it a day. Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 6 years, 7 months ago:

I'm sure the people in the know have seen this film before...this is a 100yr old film of the Red Baron and his Fokker. It doesn't appear to paint in a red finish. Rather it has a factory applied finish with the angled streaking.

http://videos.komando.com/watch/8095/kims-picks-ultra-rare-footage-of-the-most-famous-fighter-pilot-ever

• Profile Photo

That's a very cool video. I have seen bits and pieces of it before, but never the whole thing at once. Its Fokker "F-103 / 17", which was the third of the pre production machines in the video.

Thanks for sharing this Stephen...

• Profile Photo

Tonight I got some more done on this little Fokker...

I didn't like how the cables / wires were turning out. So I re-did them using florists wire. It's a thin solid strand wire that is easily bent to shape. I wanted to keep my runs as straight as possible however...

Here's the new landing gear bracing wires shown in the photo below.

I glued the top wing in position. It was rather tricky and gave me a fit. But I think it turned out OK in the end. I then glued on the steps and hand holds to the bottom edge of the fuselage.

I ran new elevator and rudder control cables.

Here you can see the tail skid too...

Installed aileron control cables:

and I fabricated / installed a carburetor air intake pipe out of aluminum tubing.

As soon as I finish painting the prop, install a few more cables and bracing wires, then some decals and weathering will be in order.

I'm hoping to get it finished soon. Too bad I missed the 23rd deadline. That was something I really wanted to accomplish.

Take care and compliments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

You probably got Louis Gardner all excited suggesting this was 103/17. It's pretty clear it's all about MvR and 102/17, the 2nd pre-production a/c. It's a great video clip anyway.
    Paul

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis - Life always has its complications and I admired your bravery in setting yourself such a fixed, historic deadline. Anyway, the model's looking great.

It's always difficult to get scale versions of the bracing and control wires that look right and also maintain the tension that was required. I've rarely found anything I use quite as good as some of the elasticated products available. On the larger scale models, I've sometimes resorted to stripping out the fine cooper wire from electrical cables and winding them to give the braided effect. This sometimes looks OK but there's normally a question of the correct tension.

I think Werner would be impressed!

Paul

• Profile Photo

You're absolutely correct Paul. It is 102/17. I just went back and watched the video again... you can clearly see the serial number and I was able to capture a great picture of this 51 seconds into the video.

Thanks again gents ! (I don't know what I was thinking)

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis - Probably just getting over-excited as you near the end of your 103/17 build. I did a bit of digging around and discovered that the RFC pilot was Lt Algernon Frederick Bird who was flying a 46 Squadron Sopwith Pup. He was shot down at 0735 south of Bousbecques while attacking some other German a/c, mistaking the Triplane coming up behind him for a Sopwith Triplane from a RNAS squadron which 46 Squadron sometimes flew with. The crashed a/c being examined may well be Bird's Pup R1795.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks Paul,
    That's some neat back ground information. From what I have read, this "mistaken identity" happened on several occasions to Allied crews, until the new Fokker Triplane became well known.

I vaguely remember someone on a TV show (about 20 years ago, possibly an episode of "wings") who stated they were the grand son of Lt. Bird, and that his grand father was embarrassed about being filmed by the Germans right after he was shot down. Lt. Bird supposedly spent the remainder of the War as a P.O.W., and spent the night with Jasta 11 as a guest of MVR. On the following morning he was taken away to spend the rest of the War in captivity, if my recollection is proper...

The bullet holes in the cowling that Anthony Fokker and MVR were pointing at in this video were supposedly from Bird's machine. Bird was lucky to have survived the encounter since MVR stated that he routinely fired at the crew and engine during combat.

This evening I managed to get the rigging completed.

Here's a picture of the cabane strut bracing wires and aileron control cables.

The landing gear sub wing bracing wires kept falling off, so I gave them a tiny amount of CA glue to hold them in place. Hopefully they remain where they belong...

Next I need to add the decals and finish painting the propeller. Then a little weathering / dirtying up and it should be completed...

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Nash said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Louis - Coming along nicely. It'll look the biz. Amazing really for such an ols and comparatively rudimentary kit.

On the MvR video, I found various comments by the son you mention on a Great War discussion thread which includes Algie's written recollection of his misfortune some 10 years after the event, presumably some time after he was eventually released from being a POW. It's apparent that he didn't appreciate being filmed with MvR treating him like some hunting trophy however jovial everyone seemed in the video clip.

Paul

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul. I also read somewhere that Anthony Fokker was wearing Lt. Bird's flying jacket and helmet in the video. Sort of added insult to injury. One can only imagine what was going through Bird's mind since he was on camera and in enemy hands.

Times have been very trying here lately and I have not been able to get much done.

My mom has dementia and things are not going well. That's all I want to say about this for now. If I was a drinking man ... I'd tip one or four, or twelve up right about now.

But I'm not. So I build my models instead ...

So tonight I had some "me" time with F-103. I fudged through installing the decals. Several of them splintered since they are old. Luckily I have managed to get them on the plane to where they look presentable.

Here's how it looks now.

I still have to finish painting the propeller and decal it. Then some light dirtying up and it should be done.

As usual comments are encouraged.

Thanks again.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Nash said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Louis - With you in spirit on all sorts of levels. Had the decal problems like you but didn't manage the fudge quite as well as you and invested in a set from Copper State Models which were excellent. Your latest pics show off your tail plane really well and I may have to replace the one on my F103 when I'm at a loose end.

This isn't a dementia forum - and all the better for it - but my Mum (95 currently) has been there for more than 10 years, I've done all the frustration thing with what her offspring see of the mother we used to know. Like you, it tore me apart for too many years than I care to think about but eventually realised that "she's" no longer there, apart from momentarily and physically. If you can get to that point, it gets a bit easier but is no less upsetting. I feel for you sunshine. Lose yourself in the car(s) and modelling - alcohol helps me a bit from time to time with the usual health provisos. Keep smiling/modelling.

Paul

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul for the kind words... I have recently come to the point to where I finally realized that she isn't the same person anymore. It's a horrible disease and I agree with you that this isn't the dementia forum.

Back to the plane now...

I gave the whole air frame a light coat of thinned down "Future" to seal the decals...

Then masked off the various layers of the propeller. Once this was done I sprayed it in the secondary color to simulate the darker wood that was used in alternating layers on the real "AXIAL" props...

Then I gave the wood section a light wash of oil to simulate a wood grain. Next was applying the decals and painting of the prop hub.

The prop is ready to be installed now...

I hope to have this one wrapped up by later tonight.

Please stay tuned !

Comments are encouraged.