Revell/Hasegawa 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk I/II Build Part I

Started by Seamus Boughe · 9 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 11 years ago:

It has been some twenty-plus years since I have built an aircraft kit in 1/32 scale. I recently decided to retry my hand at 1/32 scale aircraft building and, of course, I decided on a Spitfire. I prefer the early marque Spitfires and as most of the big model manufacturers only produce mid to late marques, I had to go with this one, the Revell/Hasegawa Spitfire Mk I/II. I got this kit second hand at a recent meeting of my IPMS Club for $25.00 with an Eduard photo etch interior detail set and a Master Details horizontal tail stabilizer set thrown in.

Anyone familiar with this kit knows it is a mixed bag of old and new moldings, with the wings having recessed panel lines and the fuselage having raised panel lines. I rescribed the fuselage without a problem, but had a Hell of a time scribing some sixty-plus Dzus fasteners along the cowling lines which are represented as small "pips" on the kit. The cockpit, out of the box, is okay I suppose but somewhat sparse. I fleshed mine out using a "Barracudacast" cockpit upgrade set made for the Tamiya 1/32 scale Spitfire Mk IX kit. For $8.00 you get a nice set of finely cast Spitfire interior parts plus decals for all the interior data. The real downside of this kit is the cockpit floor...there should not be one! A little surgery and some scratch-building yielded a better representation of a floorless cockpit. I buttoned up the fuselage halves day before yesterday and quite a bit of the cockpit details are forever lost. Now to work on the wings.

24 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Nikola Pentić said 11 years ago:

Really great work on the cockpit. Keep us posted.

• Profile Photo
    Matthew Sorensen said 11 years ago:

I think your going to be out building the Tamiya Spit Seamus, terrific work so far.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 11 years ago:

Well Matthew, that is sort of the point, trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. God knows that I have built my share of "shake-n-bake" kits but I really get a sense of having accomplished something when I detail and finish one of the older engineered kits, especially when I can do it on the cheap.

• Profile Photo
    Matthew Sorensen said 11 years ago:

For sure! My goal for the long term is to get skills good enough to take on some of those older Revell / Monogram kits. In fact for my next project I was thinking about rescribing the Revell ( ex Heller ) 1/72 Vampire FB.5 kit.

• Profile Photo
    said 11 years ago:

Looking good Seamus. Love the Spitfire!

• Profile Photo
    Erich Goldbach said 10 years, 11 months ago:

Seamus-Great detail in the cockpit-looking good for sure. Look forward to the final pics.

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 10 years, 11 months ago:

Beautiful and very well photographed work!

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 10 years, 11 months ago:

Nice work, excellent work on the rescribing. Your cockpit work is very nice. The nice thing about 1/32 is the high degree of detail you can put in the cockpit. The bad thing about 1/32 is the same thing. You have done yours proud! Keep us posted.