SAAF Bristol Beaufighter

Started by Morne Meyer · 71 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Latest detailing attempt revolved around the engines. The exhausts were detailed with Styrene rods and copper tubing. The engine was detailed using insulated copper wire and fine copper wire.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Beautiful work, Morne!

• Profile Photo

Thanks!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Looking great Morne!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good, Morne! That kit is nice but light on detail. I built an RAAF TF.X from the Tamiya kit with Southern Sky decals. What color is the underside of that SAAF Beau in the reference pic? It looks too light for Medium Sea Grey.

• Profile Photo

Hi John. The SAAF Beaufighters had a Dark Sea Grey and Slate Grey camo topside and either Sky or Light Sea Grey underside. The colour photo is slightly misleading to say the least. At least with the RAAF Beaufighter Foliage Green over all makes it easier. However, such is the madness of our hobby! Thanks for the comment!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg. Appreciate the comment !

• Profile Photo
    Marc Barris said 6 years, 6 months ago:

What happened to the build boet, I have been waiting for progress, I was coming along nicely.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Had to relocate twice due to work related issues and been busy with some commissioned builds.

• Profile Photo

That's not so good, I know what its like to travel, it messes up your whole routine, not so lekker, it takes me at least 2-3 days to get back into the building mode.

• Profile Photo

I will get the Beau done in time for the Nationals. Being on the organizing committee for the Nationals just adds to the workload and less building time.

• Profile Photo

Hang in there, I am sure that the Nationals are going to be a great success. Keep me posted on the dates and if there is anything I can do to be of assistance. Cheers buddy, keep in touch.

• Profile Photo

The Nationals in Port Elizabeth will be over Easter weekend 2018. Will be at the SAAF Museum opposite the Port Elizabeth airport.

• Profile Photo

Next on my to do list for the Beaufighter will be replicating the "curtain" and its attachments to the canopy. To replicate this, I will use 2 very thin strips of thin plasticard to which I will glue thin metal foil. The curtain will then be folded back as shown in the photo. Three strands of fine copper wire will be attached to the folded curtain's plasticard attachment points and glued to the canopy frame to simulate the suspended curtain.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Cant wait bud, Keep in touch. I like the idea of the curtain, I see that the Pilatus has 2 of them on the main cockpit window. I would like to see how you do yours in 1/48. Fine work bud.