Scat II

Started by Paul Wilsford · 27 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Wilsford said 10 years, 9 months ago:

I like Robin Olds history or the little I actually know. On another forum I started a D Day GB and because of a lot of false starts on my part I chose to emulate his P-38 Scat II.
    Mainly because it isn't NMF. I pulled this pic from the wings palette site and it is the best choice as far as colors are on this airplane.

For this build I will be using the HC 1/32 P-38J/L kit. I know that some builders had difficulties with this kit but I am willing to give it a shot anyway. I hoe you will be staying tuned for the next month or so while this gets underway.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 10 years, 9 months ago:

If you get a chance, read his book. I found it very, very interesting (one of those "can't put it down" reads).

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 10 years, 9 months ago:

I've pressed the "follow this topic"-button for this one even if it isn't my scale at all! I've recently read Robin Olds book to get the feel for my Phantom project. I even took it so far that I re-shaped my goatee into a moustache. With disastrous results, but that is a whole different story!

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

Here is one of the engines that I primed today and did some experiments with dot filtering on the crank case.
    I had this idea in my head that just wouldn't be placated until I tried it. I think it came out pretty well.
    My #1 goal was to make it look like heavily worked steel, used and tired, so I think the case looks the part. this engine looks pretty, I wouldn't say easy but it doesn't seem to have any build issues yet. I only plan to expose one engine and maybe the gun bay so we shall see how this goes.

constructive comments gladly accepted.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks heavy and metallic! Good work!

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 9 months ago:

Although this is an excellent kit, the one thing that I cannot understand about it is why include two very nice engines yet not provide a way to display them. Looks like you are in for some serious scratch-building buddy. I wish you the best of luck.

• Profile Photo

Well Seamus, I don't think it will be too hard but Ill get to that old woman when I cross her. Something like that. What I dont really know is was there a prop for the engine covers or did they always have to remove the covers to service the engine? Something to think about.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 9 months ago:

I cannot say with any degree of accuracy whether there was a prop for the engine covers but in all the photos I have seen of P-38s under maintenance, the engine covers are always removed.

• Profile Photo

now that these are done it will be on to the wheel well sub assemblies before the boom goes together. I had thought about buying the Eduard color zoom set but I am not going to worry about that because I think the pit is fairly detailed.

The engines were a pretty enjoyable build. The went together with no issues as the assembly goes. I pretty much weathered the engines the same and when I display them it will be almost impossible to see all that detail.

What do you think, I am open to suggestions,

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I see that I forgot a couple of parts, well Ill get that tomorrow.

• Profile Photo

Not much to say tonight but I fiddled around and got that nose gear and tub pretty much assembled. I had shot the insides in the standard interior gray that I custom mixed, you know, a little bit of this and a little bit of that, all is good because they were the same mfg.

The nose gear operating link is some what weak so care has to be taken when removing it from the sprue and cleaning any remnants from the attachment points. Assembly of the nose strut and all the parts to make the gear tub and office flooring were pretty straight forward.

The one aspect that I was disappointed in was the IP. They molded it back wards so there are ejector pin marks in the face of the panel. I got as much as I could see and the rest are still there. The other thing about the ip is that the bezels aren't raised enough to get a good relief so it would hold a dry brushing, I will try tomorrow anyway. I am looking forward to the rest of this build except the underside wing roots and their fore told gaps but I am supposed to be a modeler and Ill get to that when the time is ripe.

• Profile Photo
    said 10 years, 9 months ago:

Looking good Paul. Keep up the good work:-)

• Profile Photo

I had a good chance to do some bench time this evening. The grand kids were in the hall killing each other and their mother was sitting on her caboose yelling at them, all is sane in my house hold.

I assembled the harness for the seat and of course the pe took flight but I managed to find enough to have a half way decent looking setup. the belts are Tamiya tape about 1mm wide and a tad too long but hey, they look OK to me.

I also got a chance to finish some on the boom and installed the gear bay and engine and mostly painted the supercharger. I have some flat coat to go over it with and that will be much later.

• Profile Photo
    said 10 years, 9 months ago:

Looking good Paul. Thanks for the progress pics and sharing this project 🙂

• Profile Photo

That's certainly a fair amount of plumbing! Good progress!

Magnus