iModeler

Scooters double build: A-4E and A-4F in 1:48, Eduard (Hasegawa) (24 posts)

  • Summer is over and long dark evenings came… This is perfect time to sit at the desk and finish what I started. And I decided to make a step forward and use salt… Not much modelers use it, but results can be stunning – and I hope that this will be the right effect for my Scooters. 🙂
    Two days ago I found out that I did not buy FS 16640, so I was sad I cannot continue quickly. It turned out that this was luck, because I can think over the work enough time and realize what I did, what I have to do and how I have to do it.
    So, my conclusions after two days:
    1) There is not enough salt – never. Salt more, don’t be shy!
    2) Use more transparent colors. Work slowly, no rush.
    3) Do not cover bottom layer too much. Let the salt effect more visible.

    So, I made just walkways on the wing and antiglare stripe in front of cockpit so far to see, how the salt effect works. I realized that I used too much color to cover it. Nevertheless, nothing is lost. I can still get nice result. It is just a matter of more salt 🙂

    So, here you can see how far I get and I will add new pictures very soon – we will see if I succeeded.
    I have not much experience with salting, but it brings me a lot of experience and encourage me to try it even for models where nobody have ever tried it (as far as I know).

    6 attached images. Click to enlarge

  • This is where I envy airbrushers! That’s such a subtle effect, and I really have no way to replicate that with brush painting. Looks very nice.

  • Hi Greg, don’t be sad, I watched incredible video with Mig Jimenez on YT yesterday. He presented the work with Oilbrusher, it was amazing and you can get really stunning result with using oils to achieve really smooth shading of colors…
    Now, back to A-4 topic.
    I used more salt, less color and here we are. I am satisfied, very satisfied with the look so far. I should get FS16640 tomorrow, therefore I will continue quickly with top color.

    4 attached images. Click to enlarge

  • Salty days are over. Three layers of salt look to too much today, I would go with only one or two next time.
    The result is great, however. I am switching to bottom and insignia airbrushing. This scooter looks better and better every day.

    4 attached images. Click to enlarge

  • Bottom side painting started. Just preshaded and basic color applied.

    3 attached images. Click to enlarge

  • This is the moment when the fun starts. I like these colorful schemes, none of them is boring. 🙂

    4 attached images. Click to enlarge

  • I jumped to small parts. Seat almost finished.

    3 attached images. Click to enlarge

  • I think this is one the last post I put here. I had almost done weathring, just few things have still to be paint.
    I think I was able to get as close as possible to my wish and the weathering looks as real as I can do.
    After applying gloss lacquer I polished the surface with tamiya polish paste.
    Then I washed the lines and rivets and finaly I applied tamiya weathering and black pencil.
    I used oils, pencil, and tamiya weathering master set (B).
    I still have to apply pencil effects on bottom surface which looks too clear to me now.

    10 attached images. Click to enlarge

  • Beautiful work – eager to see the final headline post!